macho man is the best ever

The Spandex Cowboy

Savage had one slightly poor 6 month run out of his entire career, and even during that he managed to drag Dennis Rodman to a decent match. He is without a doubt one of the greatest of all time. When you take all the elements into account (promos, match quality, drawing power, mainstream exposure etc.) there are very few people that come close to Savage in terms of being the total package. To suggest he's remembered fondly only because he died is absolutely ridiculous. Rick is right, if more people appreciate him now it's because more people are aware of him and how fucking great he was.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Savage is only spoken about in such a high manner because he died. Ditto with Owen Hart and Eddie Guerrero. He was a great for sure but the best ever? Nah.

What a tit. They are the worse two examples you could give. Eddie was always popular and his death hasn't made him anymore popular that he already was.

In regards to Owen, again he had a big fan base, was one of my favorites as a kid ever since his match against Bret at Wm10. I honestly believe that if Owen had been around for a few more years he'd be even more popular that he is today. Imagine how great a Owen vs Kurt match would have been!

• Paid Members
To suggest he's remembered fondly only because he died is absolutely ridiculous.

Hitler's only remembered as a maniacal, evil despot because he died. During the early forties, people didn't mind him so much.

Randy was a very creative guy, his persona, in-ring ability and look were always must-see throughout his entire career, and he adapted and progressed with the times to remain on-top.

I loved that voice, intensity and unpredictability. His flying elbow from the top looked so fuckin cool, especially the way he lifting his arms before doing it.

I remember nearly crying when Yokozuna eliminated him at the Royal Rumble :) and my all time number one wrestling memory is Jake's cobra biting his arm, man that was brilliantly executed.

• Paid Members

In what sense is Brock Lesnar anywhere near Randy Savage? Doesn't compare as a drawing card in pro wrestling. Doesn't compare as a worker. Definitely not on the microphone. They're in a different universe. Savage would be one category ahead of Hart and Michaels. Brock isn't in the top 10 ever.

• Paid Members

We're all products of our generations I suppose. Unfairly perhaps, no-one will ever shine brighter than the stars of the late 80s and early 90s for me.

But its amazing this is even being discussed tbh, I thought Randy Savage had already reached a stage where his stature was beyond debate.

Savage is still a joy to watch. He's larger than life mannerisms, speed and intensity was off the charts and he stood out from the pack at a time when there was a lot of big characters about. I especially love him as a heel. Him piledriving Ricky Morton through a table and stirring the Mid South Coliseum into near riot is an unforgettable moment. He's overdue credit for being the first major WWF act to deliver the WORKRATE~ main event style as well. He's not a top ten worker for me but he's not too far off. Wrestling's crying out for a whirlwind like Savage to come along again.

Archived