Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

Something I noticed, The Uso's made a point in their promo after the attack they've been around for 6 years looking for respect.

Has there been another tag team around for that long that hasn't split or been rebranded (Primo and Epico being Los Matadors being the prime example there) but still remained quite fresh with the audiences with regards to merch sales and the likes before their heel turn?

Even The Dudleys were only around for 6 years in WWE and that's including the brand split where they separated. Impressive in the WWE climate they've managed to remain a team as long as they have.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The face that comes in second place" was good.

The Usos turning heel in grand fashion was good.

Carmella's finisher has the potential to be put over really well if they choose to. It's still going to be a while before I think of her first when I hear her name though, and not the stunning Diva Search finalist that lost out to Christie Hemme.

The name of the new SmackDown Women's Title - literally just that - kind of irritates me though. Likewise the SmackDown Tag Team Titles. It makes them both sound a level below their equivalents on Raw, which aren't labelled after the brand. Raw's new top singles prize isn't called the Raw World Title, and for good reason. It would sound limiting, makeshift, inferior to the WWE World Title. Not that Universal Title is a great name, but at least it shows ambition.

Am I the only one who doesn't prefer Mauro to Michael Cole? I don't mind him on the CWC but his patter on Smackdown is pretty bad, him and JBL is a really bad combo. The Raw team feels a lot more natural together, even with that useless Saxton. Plus when he drops modern cultural references about Drake or something, it's like mate you're somebody's uncle, probably, you're not supposed to know these things.

• Paid Members

No you're not alone, I'm not a Mauro fan either. Out of them all Graves does a good job. I think Michael Cole is better than he used to be, but maybe it's just my expectations for decent commentary is lower than it used to be.

Whenever he hangs them up for good they should be trying to snap Jericho up for commentary. He'd be a revelation I think. Dolph Ziggler though never needs to be doing commentary ever again.

Ziggler seemed to corner himself on commentary and give away an upcoming heel turn.

"I do keep failing, and if I keep on failing then maybe it'll be time for me to rethink a few things."

"When you say rethink things, do you mean hanging 'em up?"

"It doesn't always mean that."

"Then what does it mean?"

"Well sometimes it means... rethinking... my strategies... how I... go about things..."

"You sound a little nervous, Dolph."

"No, YOU sound a little nervous, Mauro!"

"You're going to turn heel on Dean Ambrose, aren't ya?"

"No! I'm just going to commit... certain... dirty deeds...." *covers mic on headset* "Suckers."

Plus when he drops modern cultural references about Drake or something, it's like mate you're somebody's uncle, probably, you're not supposed to know these things.

I was someone's uncle at age 15.

His voice irritated me at Summerslam when he'd go into his enthusiastic, shouty voice. JR's never irritated me and added to it whereas his left me cringing even though I was watching alone.

• Paid Members

First episode of Smackdown I've seen since the draft. They can't help themselves but book it as the B show, can they? Almost nothing of note occurred, the majority of the show was completely skippable, and they even had the Teddy Long tribute of an irrelevant tag match in the main event.

AJ looks the business with that belt though.

Archived