Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This week's main event was bloody great. I'm confused though (re: summerslam). They can't do the obvious thing, which is Bryan winning. They shouldn't do the alternative (Cena winning), because he'll be gone for a while and they shouldn't give away the title change for free. And the swerve, which would be Orton cashing in, has been teased for weeks, so it's too obvious. Do 3 obvious's make a "not sure"?

I think Triple H turning may well be the "swerve". Whether he takes Bryan or Orton with him is another story

• Paid Members
Wasn't the USA chant during Christian vs Del Rio? Which actually makes less sense, given both men's hometowns.

That's a fine and noble tradition dating back to Bret Hart vs Yokozuna.

Solid smackdown this week, a good continuation with the Orton and Daniel Bryan fued. I enjoyed the match between ADR and Christian. Its peculiar to see Ricardo accompanying RVD. I still think Ricardo will turn on RVD at some point to help Alberto retain the title.

I laughed at the Ryback segment this week, the bloke deserved Ryback's signature for his son getting torn up. I am liking this bully gimmick for him.

• Paid Members

Worth noting for all those that don't usually bother with SmackDown that the current red hot angle at the top of the card is being played out across both shows. The show kicked off with an Orton and Bryan promo in the ring.

They did Christian vs Del Rio again. Fucking hell. At least they seem to have drawn a line under that one now.

Not to mention Big E vs Ziggler again. Don't like him losing all the time but at least Big E isn't dressing his bum like he's Nikki Roxx now. What's Dolph gonna do now? Wouldn't mind seeing him against Wyatt or even against the U.S WWE Champion Dean Ambrose. The highlight of Smackdown might have been the Shield promo actually. Even without Ambrose they sounded like bad fuckers talking themselves up to Henry/Show's level, no problem. Reign's voice tickles the hairs on my neck.

I could happily watch a two hour show of Ryback interacting with fans and scrubs. :love:

That promo at the start was great. Not so much the content, but just how much everyone was anticipating bryan's music hitting. The reactions he is getting are the hottest since Cena became the massive star he now is. He really is going to be the next big thing isn't he. Unless something goes massively wrong, hes going to be in the same league as Hogan, rock, Cena and Austin.

• Paid Members
hes going to be in the same league as Hogan, rock, Cena and Austin.

I wouldn't go that far. Even if everything goes right, and nothing goes wrong, I think that's a stretch. He's a great man, a magnificent, consistent beast of a performer, but his mic skills ultimately let him down. I never believe that he means what he says, and I think once the underdog gig stagnates a bit, he'll be back to a B+, as it were, to be a cunt about it.

I remember Eddy Guerrero getting similar reactions and fans getting just as excited about his future as they are for the Bry. I just think the bubble will burst on this.

hes going to be in the same league as Hogan, rock, Cena and Austin.

I wouldn't go that far. Even if everything goes right, and nothing goes wrong, I think that's a stretch. He's a great man, a magnificent, consistent beast of a performer, but his mic skills ultimately let him down. I never believe that he means what he says, and I think once the underdog gig stagnates a bit, he'll be back to a B+, as it were, to be a cunt about it.

I remember Eddy Guerrero getting similar reactions and fans getting just as excited about his future as they are for the Bry. I just think the bubble will burst on this.

I think Eddie might be a good comparison, but he could've gone to bigger heights if he hadn't completely buckled under the pressure as champ. But it worked out for the best, making JBL and then Cena. I often find it hard buying into Bryan's speeches a lot of the time. He's improved at the corpsing/smirking thing since his NXT days, but he's still pretty bad for it a lot of the time. Which is fun, but it doesn't create the same sense of legitimacy as his matches strive for. For me though, the main thing is I'm having a great time watching him lately.

• Paid Members

I really felt at one time Eddie had something that could transition him from just being popular within wrestling to being a hit within general popular culture. They were on the right track with some of the imagery they were associating him with, in the Scarface and GTA style tees. There was something there that felt like it was really just waiting to click.

Bryan is a really interesting case and it should be pretty fascinating to see how his future unfolds. Although we all love him, everything the McMahons and Trips have said in this angle really does hold true, which makes you wonder where it can really go long term.

I really felt at one time Eddie had something that could transition him from just being popular within wrestling to being a hit within general popular culture. They were on the right track with some of the imagery they were associating him with, in the Scarface and GTA style tees. There was something there that felt like it was really just waiting to click.

Bryan is a really interesting case and it should be pretty fascinating to see how his future unfolds. Although we all love him, everything the McMahons and Trips have said in this angle really does hold true, which makes you wonder where it can really go long term.

Surely the reactions he has been getting, and the reactions the McMahons have been getting indicates that this isn't the case? He doesn't have a conventional look, but to me, the beard does make him pop off the screen and the fact he's getting such a reaction helps him establish that star quality.

Whether he's the next Austin, Cena, Hogan - I have no idea. But he's definitely going to be on the track of Mankind, DiBiase, Edge, Punk as the main supporting character role - which isn't to be sniffed at, at all.

After a screwjob loss to Orton, he should be removed from the title picture - perhaps going to take The Corporation out one by one and then either winning the rumble and getting a title match OR winning the title and facing Cena at Wrestlemania. Either way, the key to establishing Bryan is to give him a WWE Title match at Mania, wherever it is on the card. It helped confirm Punk as a main guy.

On a serious note, I'm calling Jericho vs. Bryan for Wrestlemania XXX.

• Paid Members
Whether he's the next Austin, Cena, Hogan - I have no idea. But he's definitely going to be on the track of Mankind, DiBiase, Edge, Punk as the main supporting character role - which isn't to be sniffed at, at all.

No, but it would make him a solid B+, not an A.

So who watched Smackdown this week? It was bloody brilliant! Really felt like Smackdown back when we all still liked wrestling. CM Punk wasn't there, but it still felt like a proper show, not just a bunch of filler stuff in between Raw recaps.

Triple H is pulling off the smarmy tyrant thing perfectly, and Big Show is benefitting from this storyline even more than anyone else is. Him sat there all night gutted, filled with impotent rage and on the verge of tears was fantastic TV. Bryan looked fantastic chasing the baddies off with a chair and then making short work of Ryback and Orton before the numbers game caught up to him. Miz put in a great showing against Orton, and The Shield provided just the right amount of distraction in that match. Randy was a proper dick, too.

Storylines that run the entire show can help it flow so much better. I didn't have to fast-forward anything this week.

Archived