The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Guys, not sure if it's been posted already but...

We're nominated for a slammy!!

Best Crowd of the Year

Raw after WrestleMania 29 (East Rutherford, N.J.)

WWE Payback (Chicago)

SummerSlam (Los Angeles)

Raw in England (London, Apr. 22)

We won't beat NJ, but we're easily second

• Paid Members

These are random thoughts, but all related to the presentation of Raw, so figured I'd post here rather than the Random Thoughts thread...

There's too much wrestling on Raw these days. You still get plenty of muppets that complain about wrestling not being focused on in-ring competition any more, but they obviously aren't paying attention. Actually trying to follow a three hour episode is exhausting, because it's match after match and everyone worth watching has wrestled everyone else a million times on TV already. A number of people in the NXT thread have praised the way that most of the developmental roster avoid getting overexposed by only appearing on the show once every few weeks. It means that every episode offers something different to look forward to. Even if it is shit at times (CJ Parker), at least it's different shit each week. Now, there are very obvious reasons why NXT works differently to Raw, but the principle stands. I don't need to see a Curtis Axel match every week.

What I'd like to see are more pre-taped non-wrestling segments inserted into the show. Segments that help to build the characters up, show off more of their personality. The live audience can suffer through an Axel/Ryback/Ziggler match or whatever, while the TV viewer gets a three minute feature on Zack Ryder showing off his LJN collection or some random shit like that. Maybe Randy Orton gives us a look round his tour bus to put over how rich he is, as the 'face of the WWE', or you get to see the Usos eating their Thanksgiving turkey with Rikishi. These sort of things can be played for laughs, or can take a more serious tone, depending on who it is and what aspect of their character you want to get over. The videos where the reporter went in search of the Wyatt Family ahead of their debut on Raw were another example of the sort of thing I'm on about.

WWE are actually great at producing this sort of content, but it all goes onto WWE.com or is used for DVD extras. This feature on Big E Langston is brilliant, for example. How many casual viewers will have actually seen it though? I'd much prefer to see stuff like this on Raw, to help to break up the monotony of wrestling matches and in-ring promos. The Michael Cole interviews with Triple H are another example of something which is too good not to be on TV, but we really don't need to see more of The Game at the moment.

I also understand that exclusive content is important for the website and the App, but the simple answer to that is to show two or three minutes of a good feature on Raw, then tell viewers that they can watch the full, or an extended version online. That would surely drive a lot of traffic for the site.

Another thing I like, which probably polarises opinion, are those cheesy punditry segments that they have started doing on the PPVs this year. Where you get the likes of R-Truth or Albert offering their thoughts on the upcoming title match, or whatever, whilst wearing a shit suit and a silly hat. It may be worth keeping those exclusive to PPV, as a way of making their presentation feel different to the TV, but I really think they add something to TV. A different panel each week, but with a regular host, would really help to give that sportcast feel to the show. It's yet another vehicle to get your mid card guys on TV, talking and showing some personality, without them having to wrestle. Plus, you can get legends or celebrities involved, or even use it as a means of kicking off or enhancing lower card feuds.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Who would a WrestleMania audience side with out of Bryan and HBK?

Shawn Michaels would be my guess. Daniel Bryan is currently flavour of the month and no doubt everyone would join in with all the "YES" chants at the start, but the Wrestlemania crowd these days is largely made up of part-timers, tourists and old-school fans, and HBK is far more established with that audience than Bryan is. Bryan could possibly get a bit more support if HBK was really heel-ing it up, but even then Mania crowds are typically notorious for disregarding that sort of thing in favour of whoever they simply feel more sentimental about.

I think the crowd will really go for Bryan unless they fuck it up something horrible. The live audience still gobbles him up despite the ham that the booking has made of him these past few months. Michaels is falling in to the diminishing returns trap these days, too. It's just nice when he shows up, and that's about it. I think largely because now that he's not wrestling he's a really boring stubbly homestead guy shilled out in weird, non wrestling personality looking hunting gear. He's wardrobe is near enough to Zeb Colter's, isn't it. When Austin shows up he's still Austin, when Rock shows up he is still Rock - maybe sometimes even too much. Michaels doesn't seem to transition well into being a personality to have knocking about for some reason.

I'll second Arch's post as well. Given how WWE is so mental for their extra curriculum it's crazy that Raw isn't more of a variety show. Vignettes to push characters must be the most base, logical suggestion you could possibly give to the product right now.

Arch I was gonna post something similar the other day but never got round to it but things videos like this

, it would get people over and there characteristics if they dont have a full gimmick.

This for example would show his awesome strength in 3mins what it would take weeks of wrestling to build up, plenty guys could use the time instead of matches, 20mins or so throughout the show of short vingettes will be better than a good but forgetable Kofi match

The "behind the music" videos they did with 3MB are the sort of thing that split the show up nicely. Even things like Cody Rhodes grooming tips were fun little vignettes.

There are a few characters that could benefit from something like that at the min. Damien Sandow being an obvious choice.

Edited by PSF

• Paid Members

I think Del Rio could use more character enhancing videos. He's supposedly this super rich aristocrat, but these days the only time it ever seems to come up is when Michael Cole or JBL mentions it for a few seconds during a match nobody is into.

Instead of having Del Rio wrestle every week and cut those apathetic promos on the way to the ring, they should have him cut a promo poolside or showing the World one of his beautiful mansions. The best thing Del Rio ever did was that Money In The Bank advert, where he was cutting about his mansion getting treated like a King by several hot women while they were in their bikinis. That's a bloke I can get into.

• Paid Members

That isn't the WWE mentality. They dont put stuff like that on because they dont want over exposure or create a fad in a pre-tape. They want stuff to happen naturally, like the Fandango shite or the Cesaro swing, so you can get the benefit of the crowd reaction. They tried to get Sean O'Haire and Nathan Jones over using these means, and they couldn't live up to their gimmicks. They always want you to get over in front of the live audience. That's why they do most one-off bits of videos on their website. Its all about what happens on the mic and in the ring. They always want the audience at home to hear the live crowd react to everything, so the people at home can be convinced that something is good even if its not. Whether this is right or wrong is debatable, but thats how it goes. And it wont chance until Kevin Dunn is gone.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Erm, spoilers? I've just gone onto the WWE app to read the Raw preview. There's a section on the nominees of the Slammy's, there's no spaces just full on text of each award, presenter, nominees with (WINNER) in big letters after, presumably, each winner.

Anywhere running a book...?

Edit, it's not for all the awards, just a dozen or so eg Faction of the Year 'The Shield' and Crowd of the Year 'Raw after Mania'. Pretty predictable. Still looks that horrendous it can't be intentional.

Edited by thicko