The Preston City Wrestling Thread

going to the RTG weekend for my first PCW show at the end of the month - coming up alone so if anyone is about for a pint on the Friday afternoon before everything gets going in the evening let me know

Wellington about 4.30pm onwards is where's best to meet, usually 20ish peeps in there. plenty of forumites as well

I'll skip my afternoon sleep from last time and be there instead since I believe I've got a friend coming with me for the Friday show. It's about time I had this infamous burger anyway. ;)

• Paid Members

Does anybody regularly travel up from the Bristol/Bath area for these shows?

Now I'm a little more sorted on finances I want to get to some more shows and I want to get to Preston at least once this year. Train fares by myself would be a killer but I'd happily share petrol costs with people if they were driving, would be cool to meet some more people from the forum as well.

• Paid Members

The thing to bear in mind with train fares is if you know in advance when you're going, the cheapest advance tickets go on sale 12 weeks ahead of the travel. Obviously no good for Road to Glory, but 12 weeks to the May Supershow weekend is coming up.

• Paid Members

Would probably work out the same yeah, may not be Supershow I hit but more likely one of the summer shows, but knowing the prices are like that and I'll probably have my railcard as well to take more off, this should be a go-er. The roster and shows are really quality enough to be paying what is a lot like DG:UK, NOAH shows in terms of travel and stuff

• Paid Members

^^ That should be tremendous.

Before that, though, it's the 'Road to Glory' tournament weekender at the end of next week. The draw looks like this:

p94x.jpg

Sooo, I don't normally do this, but I'll have a stab at some predictions:

Round One (Friday Night):

Chris Hero to beat Noam Dar. Hero is one of the big name import attractions for this weekend, so can see him going far and having some matches with key players. He's been over to the UK, like, a million zillion times, but this is only his second UK appearance since being released from his few years in NXT, so he feels fresh all over again and there are loads of new matches to make. This will also further the Dar losing streak storyline (hasn't won since coming back from his injury) where management don't see him as worthy.

Bubblegum to beat Godfather. We then get Papa Shango in some capacity on Day Two, as well as an interesting-looking 'Gum vs. Hero bout. It seems like ages since we've seen Bubblegum show off his serious wrestling side in PCW, so a bout with Hero would help remind everyone what he's capable of.

Chris Masters to beat Cyanide. Masters is a big favourite in PCW and won people over massively with his awesome trilogy against Travis, so I can see them trying to repeat the magic with him and a few other top PCW names. Cyanide is terrific, but he's only ever been a bit part player in PCW to date so I can't see him going over one of the top names.

Joey Hayes to beat Robbie X, setting up a mouth-watering Hayes vs. Masters quarter-final. Robbie X to look strong in defeat to the point fans want to see him back.

Mike Bennett to beat Danny Hope.

Martin Kirby to beat Kris Travis. The rise of Kirby to continue with a great tournament showing, including a huge win over the PCW 'ace' and someone he is closely linked with.

Mastiff to beat Jonathan Gresham in a bout that, to me, is quietly looking like a corker.

Grado to beat Dave Rayne after much daftness, to set up a fresh new PCW comedy match with Mastiff in the next round.

Round Two (Saturday afternoon):

Hero to beat Bubblegum. Another fresh Hero vs. UK star bout that I'm eager to see.

Hayes to beat Masters, probably in a belting match, to set up another bout that simply has to be made at some point, Hayes vs. Hero, in the semi-final.

Kirby to beat Bennett. Kirby to further legitimise his arrival at the top of PCW cards with a win over a name US import.

Mastiff to beat Grado, probably after a bout of shenanigans aplenty. The comedy potential in this one is vast. The versitilty of Mastiff will see him advance for a more serious semi-final against Kirby.

Round Three (Saturday night):

Real tough to pick here. They went with the all-British showcase final last year (Dar vs. Hayes) and it ended up being one of the best UK matches anywhere all year, so I could see that happening again. I'm going to go with the story of Hayes beating Hero to reach the final for the second year in a row, getting the rub by beating one of the top attractions in the process. On the other half of the bracket, I would pick Kirby to go over Mastiff. That means that the final would cement Kirby's new PCW main event status, as well as being a rematch of another of PCW's finest all-British singles contests of last year.

My pick for my final, then, would probably be Kirby over Hayes. Hayes already has the Money In The Bank briefcase, so I can't see him winning this tournament as well. Kirby has gradually been moving up the cards in PCW and started having the matches with the imports, so it's clear they see him as a potential top name. A tournament win would solidify that, and get people to buy into him as a genuine headline player.

Bleugh, probably got it all wrong, but it sounded good in my head...

Does anybody regularly travel up from the Bristol/Bath area for these shows?

Now I'm a little more sorted on finances I want to get to some more shows and I want to get to Preston at least once this year. Train fares by myself would be a killer but I'd happily share petrol costs with people if they were driving, would be cool to meet some more people from the forum as well.

As people have mentioned, the train journeys in advance are well good.

What they havent said is to look at split tickets.

I got from Preston to Gloucester return for less than 35 quid in November. It's doable but you may need to look at singles from Temple Meads to Cheltenham, Cheltenham to Brum, Brum to Wolves, Wolves to Preston and the same in reverse on the way back as an example

Check each train companies website for deals. Virgin, for Wolves to Preston Singles, for example. Cross Country for Brum to Cheltenham, and so on. Massive savings to be had!

[snip]

Bleugh, probably got it all wrong, but it sounded good in my head...

Great write up Benny.

I can see Hayes going out to an unexpected loss/Trav interference, stoking up their feud again. Robbie X vs Masters would certainly be new and exciting.

Dave Rayne, needs some pizazz back after a sterling run around a year ago, but has fizzled out recently. Match vs Mastiff or Gresham could be fun.

Bubs actually went alright last year and had a decent match with Supercrazy, so him vs Hero would actually be ace..

Kirby still to win, and perhaps a heel turn in there somewhere as well..