New Japan iPPV thread

JNLister

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't rate Tensai anything, i don't watch WWE.

If we're talking Giant Bernard of New Japan vs Doc Gallows of New Japan it's not even a debate. He's on another planet from Gallows.

Ask anyone who's watched both in New Japan which one they'd pick and i'd guarantee you 99% of them would pick Bernard.

Not a fan of Gallows or guys of that size in general, particularly when the torso happens to be attached to a pair of pipe cleaner legs. That said, I haven't seen enough of his New Japan matches to critique one way or the other...but I can imagine. Just had a look through my own match ratings to see how Bernard fared during his time in NJPW. Based on the matches I have of his (11 singles & 23 tag) between 2006 & 2012, the singles matches averaged out at 'solid' & the tags 'above average to good', including 4 or 5 'very good'. Clearly that's subjective and a sample only, but fairly representaive I guess. Boring stat done.

Guys that size in general? Why not?

They seldom bring anything to the table that I want to see or haven't already seen a billion times before. In Archer & Davey Boy Jr., New Japan already have two 6½ footers, both of whom have adapted well, over time, but for me that's enough 'big men' for; the size of the NJ roster, the type of opponent they have to face & the matches most puro fans would want to watch. If New Japan want to turn their product into a WWE-type freakshow of height & muscle, good luck to them, but I imagine it's more a case of bringing in a few gaijin to pad out the aforementioned roster & possibly appeal to a broader audience with their ippvs, though I can't see too many fans stumping up their hard-earned to watch Gallows & Lance Hoyt. Excluding the obvious (basketball, high jump..), how many world class sportsmen do you see standing 6ft 7+?... Lionel Messi & Neymar Jr. or Peter Crouch & Nicola Zigic? At the opposite end of the scale, I struggle to see how Yohei Komatsu or Hiromu Takahashi are going to make any sort of mark in New Japan either. It's hardly been a production line of greatness over recent years - Okada & that's about it. Most of the rest are 10-20 year veterans.

• Moderators

Guys that size in general? Why not?

They seldom bring anything to the table that I want to see or haven't already seen a billion times before. In Archer & Davey Boy Jr., New Japan already have two 6½ footers, both of whom have adapted well, over time, but for me that's enough 'big men' for; the size of the NJ roster, the type of opponent they have to face & the matches most puro fans would want to watch. If New Japan want to turn their product into a WWE-type freakshow of height & muscle, good luck to them, but I imagine it's more a case of bringing in a few gaijin to pad out the aforementioned roster & possibly appeal to a broader audience with their ippvs, though I can't see too many fans stumping up their hard-earned to watch Gallows & Lance Hoyt. Excluding the obvious (basketball, high jump..), how many world class sportsmen do you see standing 6ft 7+?... Lionel Messi & Neymar Jr. or Peter Crouch & Nicola Zigic? At the opposite end of the scale, I struggle to see how Yohei Komatsu or Hiromu Takahashi are going to make any sort of mark in New Japan either. It's hardly been a production line of greatness over recent years - Okada & that's about it. Most of the rest are 10-20 year veterans.

Rugby players, Boxers, Mixed Martial Artists, NFL Offensive Linemen. You know, ones from actual physical sports. Size has nothing to do with quality of work. In fact, I love watching a big bomb thrower more than anything. They're the most believable.

• 2 months later...

Just referencing back a few posts. I was aware of Okada's origins, but he's clearly been a New Japan project since '09 & anyway the point was, that there is a lack of up & coming NJ talent. Never suggested that there shouldn't be a variety of styles/sizes + I'm no fan of flippy-floppy, nor did I reference anyone of that style. The majority of NJ guys I like, can adapt to different styles...just don't want the roster to get top-heavy with big guys or excessive numbers of gaijin. That said, Bullet Club's obviously working & Omega's potentially a useful addition. His selling can be OTT, but he's had some very decent matches.

Archived