New Chris Benoit Film - Crossface

Gagnam Style

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Deadline.com, director Vincente Amorim will helm the upcoming Chris Benoit biopic "Crossface." Amorim has previously directed "Good," "Dirty Hearts" and "The Middle of the World."

Amorim had the following to say to Deadline regarding the film:

"Chris Benoit's story is the perfect vehicle for a fiercely honest film that is as much about him and the world of wrestling as it is about America and show business. I am very happy to be on board to help tell this story."

Earlier this month, actor Liev Schreiber shot down rumors that he had signed on to play Benoit in the film, however it has been confirmed that personalities such as Triple H and Vince McMahon will be characters in the biopic.

Didn't Chad Collyer wrestle as Chad Benoit for All Star over 10 years ago?

I assume his wrestling career is still going nowhere, so with no fear of burning bridges he should try to get the payday.

Though he may be too short for some on here.

EDIT: he may have been Chad Malenko for All Star. All these vanilla midgets are the same to me.

• Paid Members

Having seen Ray Donovan I thought that Liev Schreiber had a look of Davy Richards about him. Richards is doing the best impression he can of Benoit out on the indy circuit (Without all the murdery-suicidey stuff obviously) so perhaps he could play Benoit after all. As for the whole height issue. Matt Damon played Francois Pienaar in Invictus and Tom Cruise played Jack Reacher in Jack Reacher and they were both tiny compared the character they were playing, so height can be ignored.

• Paid Members
Having seen Ray Donovan I thought that Liev Schreiber had a look of Davy Richards about him. Richards is doing the best impression he can of Benoit out on the indy circuit (Without all the murdery-suicidey stuff obviously) so perhaps he could play Benoit after all. As for the whole height issue. Matt Damon played Francois Pienaar in Invictus and Tom Cruise played Jack Reacher in Jack Reacher and they were both tiny compared the character they were playing, so height can be ignored.

I don't think so in this case. Benoit, as magnificent as he was, looked like he suffered with mild dwarfism and looked so short and stumpy compared to his peers. A king of the Ewoks in a land of Chewies, to put an analogy on it.

He also looked awkward when he moved his arms coz they were so short, yet pumped.

Schreiber is a very tall, burly man with long arms and legs. It just won't work unless they put him in some sort of bodysuit or use CGI.

I can see why he's thought of for the role, as he does slightly resemble him in the face and has that scowling intensity, but to me he more resembles someone like Bobby Roode.

Scott Caan is short and stumpy enough to do it, but he has a very annoying face.

• Paid Members
It is not like Hollywood cares about the accurate portrayal of things though is it. The film won't be aimed at wrestling fans, we know the story, it will be aimed at the general public who probably couldn't give a shit how tall he was.

Whilst I agree to an extent, there is some relevance to it in this particular instance.

Just today I've seen an article which points out that Sacha Baron Cohen, who has quit the proposed Freddie Mercury biopic, was "6 inches taller than the Zanzibar-born singer anyway". In that instance, no bother.

In a Benoit movie, however, his small stature in comparison to his peers could be considered a plot point. In order to get where he got, he pumped steroids into his arse & worked out obsessively in order to pack more muscle onto his frame than it really should have supported. He also needed (in his own mind) to develop a style that involved him sacrificing his body more than many, patterning himself after a guy who did both of those things too and is now in a wheelchair.

These two things working in a cycle have been cited as potential causes of his freak-out. OK, I agree that Hollywood would probably gloss over the finer points - he was just a wrestler, all wrestlers are fucked-up steroid abusers regardless, right? - but it's not ENTIRELY irrelevant, in this instance.

Archived