Anybody ever undergone Cognitive Behavourial therapy

RancidPunx

Just somewhat curious , has anybody ever undergone CBT ?I just read mike skinner aka the streets book and he raves about how it helped him.I am on a phone otherwise I would post some links about what it is exactly, but skinner describes it as talking to someone similar to a shrink who helps you practically overcome what is troubling you.Sounds like what I need to be honest, but that's a whole different thread.Any thoughts ?

I had it once on the NHS, trying to cure my chronic demotivation. It was not how I expected and not helpful in the slightest - the guy basically told me stuff I could have found on any website, gave me lists of various ideas and concepts that again I knew already. I had hoped for more personalized advice and help. Might have been the case of a bad practitioner.Traditional counseling was much more effective for me.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

It's taken me a long time to write this but I believe I have OCD. For the past 5 years or so I have been performing various compulsions and ruminating for probably longer. Its got to the point where I'm stressed most of the time and bloody miserable the rest. There's plenty of issues but the main compulsion is hand washing and its really taking over my life. I don't have any issue with contamination towards myself but in the distribution of germs/dirt from myself to other people. If I go to the toilet I'm looking at at least half an hour of washing my hands. Up until not long ago it was probably more like an hour. Years ago I went on a training course for food hygiene with work and they stressed that all soap should off your hands to be clean. It was like my mind broke.

So as I said I've succesfully reduced the length by sticking to NHS Guidlines on hand washing.

1. Wet hands.

2. Lather with soap

3. Wash for 30 seconds

4. Rinse thoroughly.

Well sort of. Convincing myself that doing it once is effective is where the kicker comes in. Usually I complete the process twice. Sometimes three times. But the main source of contention is step 4. Rinse thoroughly. Because I'm under the impression that that means make sure there is no soap left. One cycle realistically takes 15-20 minutes. Its insanely frustrating, painful and has made me a right freak. I also compulsively clean and various other smaller things but they haven't developed into a nightmare that controls what I do and how I feel.

Please any suggestions would be appreciated. I've read up on OCD at length but not been diagnosed. I'm not sure I'm ready for that. But this can't go on it's hurting me a lot and effecting work/family as well.

• Paid Members

It's helped me massively and my quality of life and self confidence has greatly improved from when I first started it. Seemingly it's not for everybody but if you go in with an open mind it could really help you. A good rapport with the practitioner would be helpful also. 

• Paid Members

DEF, is there somewhere near you you can refer yourself to for some guidance? Be it NHS or a help group or charity?

I'm not had trouble with OCD but CBT is about the only thing that's helped me feel right, or when I don't be able to help myself with it and accept it.

The only advise I can give I guess it to try and rationalise what you are doing.

Even if it takes you 20 minutes to wash you hands if you are spending that 20 minutes reaffirming to yourself the soap doesn't matter and why it doesn't it could help chip it away, then its 18 minutes, then 15, then 10.

Might be bollocks and no help, but its all I've got to offer and just incase it can help.

• Paid Members

DEF, is there somewhere near you you can refer yourself to for some guidance? Be it NHS or a help group or charity?

I'm not had trouble with OCD but CBT is about the only thing that's helped me feel right, or when I don't be able to help myself with it and accept it.

The only advise I can give I guess it to try and rationalise what you are doing.

Even if it takes you 20 minutes to wash you hands if you are spending that 20 minutes reaffirming to yourself the soap doesn't matter and why it doesn't it could help chip it away, then its 18 minutes, then 15, then 10.

Might be bollocks and no help, but its all I've got to offer and just incase it can help.

I know I should get support from professionals and diagnosis from a GP but I'm just not sure I want to/ comfortable to. I know that's crazy but I have never been particularly open with that sort of thing.

I have a couple of phone help lines but whenever I've called they have been unavailable.

I read that often people with a OCD wait decades before seeking help. I have started to acknowledge and try to deal with it but it's slow. I didn't even realise it was likely OCD until about 6 months ago. My general knowledge of OCD was so poor that until I really researched it that I thought I was just losing my mind/actually trying to make things better by indulging compulsions. Which is how they start.

The thing is I react well to instructions. Like the NHS guidelines to hand washing have helped. Just not enough.

• Paid Members

I know it's a well worn expression, but the fact that you've acknowledged it and made a few tentative steps, they are the most important steps. Good luck to you.

Cheers.

I completely fucked up a relationship with a friend of mine a few months ago due to getting inside my own head, overthinking, and generally just having no self- esteem whatsoever. I was recommended a website called MoodGym by my GP, which is an online CBT program which goes through all the core mental traits that mess people up with depression. It's actually helped me a lot. Some of it is so obvious that I want to kick myself for not doing it earlier, like recognising the trait of "mind reading". If I'd done this earlier I wouldn't have lost a good friend.

Here's the link

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

Archived