Collections and collecting

Chest Rockwell

The whole idea of collecting things isn't something I've ever really been into to be honest. I have managed to amass a lot of shit in general through the years, but I'm currently in the process of either binning or eBaying most of it before I move overseas.

If you take a look around your house and imagine you had to pack up your shit and leave within 20 minutes think of the stuff you actually use & need. 95% of the stuff you have is of no use pretty much.

DVD's on a shelf that you'll maybe watch once or twice a year if you're lucky. Action figures that simply collect dust. Lots of shit in the loft that you can't throw out because you may want to take it down and look at it someday, despite the fact it's been up there for years.

We're a weird species.

• Paid Members
I hate the Sub Mariner though.

Doesn't everyone?

I collect comics as well. I have far more than is practical, and since I've recently switched to digital, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with them. If I had a relation that was getting into them, I'd happily pass them on. As it is, I'm not sure. I'll probably end up batching them up and ebaying them.

I also have a ludicrous number of DVDs, although I've calmed down quite a bit on that in recent years.

• Paid Members

I can become quite obsessive with collecting things, but as I get older that desire to collect and the pride that comes from building a collection of something seems to be fading, and now there's not really anything I collect. I had an entire room full of various Marvel merch a while back, but I can't really afford to dedicate that much time, room or effort to it nowadays.

Psychologically speaking collecting is quite closely linked to list making, and is meant to be a sign that the collector doesn't feel in control of their own life, so the brain finds something it can impose rules and order to in order to seek comfort. In retrospect the times I've been the most obsessive with collecting have coincided with periods in my life where I wasn't as on top of things as I could have been.

• Moderators
I collect comics as well. I have far more than is practical, and since I've recently switched to digital, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with them. If I had a relation that was getting into them, I'd happily pass them on. As it is, I'm not sure. I'll probably end up batching them up and ebaying them.

I gave up on single issue comics many years ago and only buy tpbs, but I really don't understand how you can tolerate reading comics digitally; it's awful!

• Paid Members

I gave up on single issue comics many years ago and only buy tpbs, but I really don't understand how you can tolerate reading comics digitally; it's awful!

I'm the same, comics are one of the few forms of entertainment I actually still buy, I get a few graphic novels a month, I hate reading them digitally it's not the same. I don't really find collecting single issues that great either, it takes 12 minutes to read the issue then a month wait for the next one.

I collected Transformers for a bit and have some cracking stuff. Much of it is boxed up though and packed away. Some HK clones of Devastator, Superion and Menasor, as well as an odd few rarities including the Powermaster Prime/God Ginrai combo, Unicron, and Bludgeon.

Also I've thousands of retro games. Cost has put me off getting more as it's 200 quid a pop to finish my Mega CD Collection, kind of limits what can be done. I've cool stuff like a Boxed Sega Mega Play Cart with Dip instructions is certainly different and rare. Got plenty of rare Mega drive games as well.

This days don't collect anything, no space to store or display at present. Looking at downsizing my retro stuff as well as don't play it anymore.

• Paid Members

I'm the same, comics are one of the few forms of entertainment I actually still buy, I get a few graphic novels a month, I hate reading them digitally it's not the same. I don't really find collecting single issues that great either, it takes 12 minutes to read the issue then a month wait for the next one.

I still pick up graphic novels here and there. I'd started picking up Vertigo stuff by trade rather than single issues anyway, so that helped.

Digital is great. I use the guided view on my phone, and it goes through panel-by-panel. It looks crisp and sharp, and it actually slows me down when I'm reading, so I'm skipping through less than I used to, which has led to me enjoying it more. Also, it's cheaper and faster. Win-win.

• Paid Members
Hmm. I guess you read many more comics than me so it makes sense and you are still reading physical comics as well.

I think the artwork looks much nicer in physical form.

Been less of an issue than I expected. The resolution on a decent screen is sometimes better than print. Some of the art looks gorgeous.

I didn't really think about that, but I guess I'd have to put down Comics as a collection too.

I'm still pretty new to Comics, so am definitely on the Digital bandwagon. Thanks to Comixology, I've amassed quite a collection in about a year and a half. I've got collections and single issues. I tend to buy current single issues, but when I want to catch up with previous stories, I've been purchasing the collected editions. I've also got a few Batman TPB's and Graphic novels in print and wanted to carry on building that collection, although haven't bought any for quite a while.

I tend to read more on my iPhone, which is alright, but I definitely prefer reading on my iPad. They loo amazing on there

Archived