sting: as crow in 96

Hi guys

I was watching the crow on dvd and then later on, some wcw circa 96-97 & it started making me wonder if wcw/sting got any reprisal from copying the comic. Unlike Hall's Razor which was a take on Tony Montana, this was a blatant rip off:

The crow

The paint

The rafters

The eerie music

The coat

He even uses alot of lines from the movie and facial mannerisms. Moreso looking back then I realised at the time.

Can anyone remember if there was an issue over trademark/license?

• Paid Members

I wonder if the makers of the Crow were ever sued by Gene Simmons for having leather pants, black hair and white face paint. A bloke in face paint and a black jacket is about as original as someone wearing tie-dye and saying "daddy". The only thing they could have got WCW on was makeup design and they quickly changed after a few months. Or if he was called "Crow". The Aces and Eights are basically the Sons of Anarchy visually. If there was any legal shit thrown WCW's way, there would be a disclaimer at the end of it like Marvel Comics had at the end of each show Hulk Hogan appeared on in the 80s and 90s.

I wonder if the makers of the Crow were ever sued by Gene Simmons for having leather pants, black hair and white face paint. A bloke in face paint and a black jacket is about as original as someone wearing tie-dye and saying "daddy". The only thing they could have got WCW on was makeup design and they quickly changed after a few months. Or if he was called "Crow". The Aces and Eights are basically the Sons of Anarchy visually. If there was any legal shit thrown WCW's way, there would be a disclaimer at the end of it like Marvel Comics had at the end of each show Hulk Hogan appeared on in the 80s and 90s.

Its abit different Ian tho. This was a full on copy in every way.

It really wasn't.. You didn't have brandon lee locking people in scorpion deathlocks and attacking them with baseball bats.

If it wasn't at least somewhat of a rip off, why do people refer to it as Sting's Crow period? Do you think WCW had no knowledge of the comic book the first time Sting appeared in the rafters?

• Paid Members

I don't remember the part in the Crow where Brandon Lee gives Rick Steiner a Scorpion Death Drop and propels from a sports arena to give Thunderlips a good kicking. Wrestling has ripped every form of entertainment off for years. Its fair trade, because wrestling is pretty much bullshit that doesn't harm anyone. The Crow was a popular character, and WCW used its likeness and sewed it into their storylines without using any trademarked terms. Same thing wrestling promoters have done since it was in carnivals fighting members of the public at the pleasure beach. WCW wasn't selling comics, making films or stepping over the toes of the creators of it. It was a character on a wrestling show. A very successful one as well.

• Paid Members

The Road Warriors took their inspiration from Mad Max 2 for their gimmick.

Kevin Nash was billed as "Oz" and was announced as hailing from "The Emerald City."

The Blue Meanie borrowed liberally from the Blue Meanies in Yellow Submarine.

The Patriot and Mr America lifted design elements from Captain America.

Wrestling borrows from popular culture ; popular culture doesn't give a shit.

Archived