Shittest Doink

IANdrewDiceClay

See, this is what happens when Vince doesn't copyright gimmicks.

I dare say it is. It's just easy to recreate the costume and claim to be "WWE STAR!!!" and these carny operators (over the world) are so far under the radar nobody from Titan gives a shit. It's not like WCW was trying it on... Although ECW did in it's early days but with the original Doink as part of a pretty sweet little number.

Yeah, I remember that. 'Borne Again' - Matt Borne trapped between himself and the character of an evil clown. Quite a cool little gimmick if I remember rightly.

My mate put in a better effort as Doink on my stag night 4 years ago than any of these shitarses are charging people to come see.

4616_90727821324_6066085_n.jpg

He even wore a bumbag so that he could commit to a full (and obviously pocketless) bodysuit!

4616_90731206324_7333132_n.jpg

• Paid Members

Never got the fascination with the Doink gimmick. It was a fine little act for what it was, but the idea of him working with Hogan or having a run on top is pretty mental. There's only so much you can do outside of hitting people with plastic arms. It wasn't like he was going to murder someone or molest a child like the great evil clowns. I liked Doink, dont get me wrong. But what else could they have done with him? Heel Doink vs American Made Lex Luger wasn't something I would have been knocking one out over in 94.

Never got the fascination with the Doink gimmick. It was a fine little act for what it was, but the idea of him working with Hogan or having a run on top is pretty mental. There's only so much you can do outside of hitting people with plastic arms. It wasn't like he was going to murder someone or molest a child like the great evil clowns. I liked Doink, dont get me wrong. But what else could they have done with him? Heel Doink vs American Made Lex Luger wasn't something I would have been knocking one out over in 94.

See, I agree to a point but I do think they could've gone with the kinda ECW 'Borne Again' thing. Bobby Heenan always made a point on commentary of saying that Doink was just this psycho guy who liked dressing up as a clown (ala John Wayne Gacy) as opposed to a clown who was evil.

Maybe if they progressed it to 'the guy who's trapped between the two personalities of an evil clown and the normal guy' and gradually had him shed the make-up or wear half make-up like Borne did very briefly in ECW they could have got some more mileage out of it - I dunno.

Oh, and the highlighted sentence? :laugh: Awesome!

• Paid Members

Doink vs Davey Boy Smith was set for Wrestlemania 9, allegedly. Doink was supposed to win, but Bulldog's freaking *wife* convinced Smith not to lose to him. Bulldog was gone in November 1992 though. Often talked about story on the WrestlingClassics Board.

I just had an odd depressing flashback to Greg Valentine appearing in a backyard wrestling show a few years back.

I remember reading a PWI article, years back, that said Greggy would snap the ankle of any Doinks that came near him for "shaming wrestling". Go on Greg, go on.

It would have been interesting to see a reversal of the character in line with the attitude era... starts of as a babyface, then turns heel. Attacking Dink, cartoon paper mallet that actually has a Kendo Stick inside the handle, and fireball in the water flower are all just a couple of ideas of the top of my head.

Course the drawback is that by the end of the characters main run, it wasnt Matt Bourne anymore. Plus, if the gimmick had stayed on for the attitude era, he would have probably ended up associated with ICP and the oddities.

• Paid Members

Doink v Crush is one of my favourite storylines of all time. The way they built Doink up before he twatted Crush with his cast by having him arseing around in the audience for months and then that twist at Wrestlemania 9 was fantastic. On paper it shouldn't have worked at all but it was really well written and both parties really embraced it.

Yeah I loved it. I will say though, Crush's credibility died with me when he never really got his comeuppance. I thought about that the other week when watching an old Raw where the Doink's fucked up a match Crush was having with Luger. Had Crush have definitively beat him eventually it might have given him the momentum to get that good run with Yoko.

There again, I suppose Crush's shit 93 contributed to the heel turn too, so it wasn't totally without purpose.

Archived