Rate the major WWE/TNA title holders...

L_E_T_H_A_L

I thought this would be a cool idea and might spark some conversation...

Your thoughts on the WWE Champion, World Heavyweight Champion (or WCW Champ if applicable) and TNA heavyweight champion on the day you arrived in the UKFF. Whether that be about the actual wrestler or the reign they were enjoying at that time is up to you.

I joined on April 9, 2003 - a couple of weeks after Wrestlemania XIX. So this should be interesting...

World Heavyweight Champion: Triple H

I was so sick of HHH at this point in time more so than at any other. I remember at the time that he was drawing some legit hatred from the Internet Wrestling Community due to the decline of his in-ring performances (probably due to the fact that his body had never been more muscular) and his unwillingness to elevate anyone to the main event. On April 9, 2003 I was probably still pissed off about the fact he did not drop the World title to Booker at 'Mania, and the fact that it took him an eternity to make the match-winning cover after the Pedigree, thus making Booker look like shit in the process. Yeah, if you'd told me this guy would seflessly elevate Cena, Batista & Orton (amongst others) in the coming years and be out of the title picture for years, I would never have believed it.

WWE Champion: Brock Lesnar

I was never a fan of Lesnar during his first WWE run, and particularly disliked him as a babyface. I don't think there's anything remotely likeable about the bloke, but I did enjoy his feud with Kurt Angle in 2003 immensely. Angle at that time was at his in-ring peak, despite his ongoing neck issues, and their matches at Wrestlemania XIX and on SmackDown (and in the Triple Threat with Show at Vengeance) were top-notch. It took me a long time to warm up to Lesnar, and in fact I was one of the only ones on here who was happy when Mir forced him to tap out in their first (and Brock's first) UFC encounter.

NWA-TNA World Heavyweight Champion: Jeff Jarrett

TNA was at this point in time a dictatorshop under the rule of Jeff Jarrett - but I wasn't against him as the champion at this point in time, given the options available. That said, I was delighted for AJ Styles when he eventually dethroned him in June (at an event that I had to leech from Limewire - those were the days).

Later on, I'll post thoughts on the secondary title holders, or if this works out we can do that in another thread.

Discuss...

• Paid Members

TNA wasn't around when I started on the forum and the World title was probably in Titan Towers, so there is only one. And by goodness, there will only be one ...

WWF - Yes F - Champion: HULK HOGAN:

I actually joined 3 days after his title win. The only reason I joined the UKFF was to troll every single person who slagged this off. If I remember correctly I was in my college learning centre and the first post I made was something along the lines of "he won the belt in Japan where its real, unlike this fake shit" or something similar. Once after a night out, I was at Mickfans and wrote "get back to Beyond the Mat you skenky looking cunt" to Kenny McBride, and received vile abuse back at me. I received a load of suspensions. I was as bad as the worst newbie you get on here these days.

Hulk's title run was a memorable one. I believe he held it for over a year, and had a far better match with the Undertaker than Shawn Michaels did. Rumoured to be the man to finally end the streak.

TNA wasn't around when I started on the forum and the World title was probably in Titan Towers, so there is only one. And by goodness, there will only be one ...

WWF - Yes F - Champion: HULK HOGAN:

I actually joined 3 days after his title win. The only reason I joined the UKFF was to troll every single person who slagged this off. If I remember correctly I was in my college learning centre and the first post I made was something along the lines of "he won the belt in Japan where its real, unlike this fake shit" or something similar. Once after a night out, I was at Mickfans and wrote "get back to Beyond the Mat you skenky looking cunt" to Kenny McBride, and received vile abuse back at me. I received a load of suspensions. I was as bad as the worst newbie you get on here these days.

Hulk's title run was a memorable one. I believe he held it for over a year, and had a far better match with the Undertaker than Shawn Michaels did. Rumoured to be the man to finally end the streak.

Hogan's short title run in 2002 was astonishing and I was totally bitten by the nostalgia bug. I did not believe for a second he was going over HHH at Backlash, and I was genuinely stunned when it happened. I think I actually welled up for the moment despite telling everyone that Hogan was a talentless old cunt and a conniving politician, etc. The 6 year old in me wanted to savour his hero's glory moment. And that I did.

The building-shaking fan reactions he received every week during this period were amazing, and gave the finest Attitude era Stone Cold ovations a run for their money. In truth, they probably surpassed Austin's.

In the ring his matches were utter shit of course, and I was cringeing with embarrassment watching the lame 'Taker 'motorcycle dragging' angle with my Dad, who looked at me and shook his head in silent disappointment while it was shown in the Lethal household. Wouldn't change it though. One of my finest wrestling memories.

19th June 2008, well here we go:

WWE Champion: Triple H

I remember the No Mercy triple Title change happened and it was a bit weird seeing the WWE Title change like that three times in one night. Then Triple H was put on Smackdown in the draft and there were two World Titles on Smackdown and none on Raw which was a bit of a talking point at the time.

World Heavyweight Champion: Edge

Obviously Edge was doing well on Smackdown but then the big thing happened as Triple H had been drafted along with his Title to Smackdown and CM Punk ended up cashing in on Edge one night on Raw and I remember being so excited at the time for this.

TNA World Heavyweight Champion: Samoa Joe

I can't remember much of this, mustn't have been watching TNA that much at the time.

Honestly it is difficult remembering exactly what was going on and what my feelings were at the time for all of these but I definetly remember being over the moon about a week and a half after I signed up on here when Punk cashed in.

I only joined just over a year ago- The 12th of January 2012 to be precise. This was my second account after forgetting my original login details but eh.

WWE Champion

Was of course CM Punk. We were only about 3 months into Punk's reign here...I would have never predicted he'd hold the belt for another year past this point. I did enjoy the reign though but I was happy to see The Rock end it. There were a lot of great matches in this period- Against Cena, Jericho and against the man who held the World Heavyweight title at this point.

World Heavyweight Champion

Daniel Bryan. I had to look this up, I remembered Punk was champion but not D-Bry. A pretty solid reign by Bryan that is largely forgotten by a lot of people it seems. Had a good few matches with Mark Henry, Big Show amongst others during the reign. I felt he shone more though after losing the belt with the matches against Sheamus and Punk.

TNA World Champion

Bobby Roode. I've never been much of a TNA fan but I hear Roode did great things during this title reign. Solid worker, I'd like to see him in WWE one day soon.

WWE Champion - John Cena

This was Cena's reign where he beat Batista three times in a row, I desperately wanted Big Dave to recapture the title as he was on fire at the time, but then it leaked out about his contract status and it appeared he was on his way out. Then Cena lost it to Sheamus, probably one of Cena's more forgettable title reigns.

World Champion - Jack Swagger

I watched Smackdown at this time mostly out of habit after I enjoyed 2009 and the Undertaker/HBK stuff that spilled over to the show and the Edge/Jericho feud. So I wanted to see how Swagger developed, but it was shit...but I kept on watching, a feeling I'm sure we can all relate to on here. Bloody loved Mysterio's unexpected title win.

TNA Champion - Rob Van Dam

I was chuffed when RVD came to TNA during the new Monday Night War. The title win and reign in general was good viewing, decent outings with AJ, a miracle of a match with Sabu and a good ladder match with Abyss. I was disappointed that a stick with nails poking out of carved up this title reign.

• Paid Members

WWE Champion: Eddie Guerrero

I spent a bus journey today thinking about how great Eddie Guerrero was. If he was still around now he'd surely be matching Big Show for face/heel turn ratio, but there were so many great matches he never got to have - Michaels, top-level Cena, WWE-level Punk... sorely missed, even though he might have been stale by now.

World Heavyweight Champion: Triple H

I hated the fucker back then, but I was an idiot. Looking back, him and Undertaker were the only ones with gravitas enough to be the top dog (as Big Gold did signify back then, being the Raw title). Murderboy wasn't a big enough deal, no matter how well they put him and Eddie over at the end of WMXX. This was when the bollocks about him never laying down for anyone was in full flight, then he proceeded to put over one respected veteran one year and a red-hot up and comer the next. And yet the bollocks stayed with him for years. Remind you of anyone? Say, in jean shorts who's been the best main event wrestler in the world for seven years?

NWA Champion: Jeff Jarrett

This was the weekly PPV era when Jarrett was pretty unbearable. At least, that's how I remember him, but in retrospect it might've been that he always seemed to be at the top like Triple H. While Jarrett wasn't on that level, he must've been a serviceable heel champ, because I always wanted to see him get beaten. Seems so weird thinking we used to wait like 6 months for TNA shows that were mostly dreadful.

For those that can't be bothered looking below my avatar, I joined the UKFF on October 14, 2003. I was 13 and entering high school, many of my friends either a) disappeared or b) stopped liking wrestling instantaneously. It seemed mad to me that the same guys who raved about the Elimination Chamber and Shawn Michaels winning the world title a couple of months earlier were now ridiculing me for liking "that gay fake shit". But that's high school for you. Anyway, I needed an outlet to talk about my favourite interest, so that brought me here.

WWE Champion: Brock Lesnar

220px-Brock_Lesnar_-_WWE_Champion.jpg

Lesnar won his third WWE Championship by beating Kurt Angle in September 2003. Apparently it was a great match, but I never actually saw it, as my viewing of WWE was subject to the whims of my dad's mate who would sporadically tape it for me, and he liked Raw more than Smackdown. Thinking I might check it out on Youtube after I write this up.

I loved Brock Lesnar, probably my only man-crush. I was in awe of this video game-esque hulking super heavyweight who moved around the ring quick as a cat and threw people around like trash. One of my favourite wrestlers ever, a stark contrast to the others like HBK, Jericho and Mysterio. He was a rookie, a phenom who "got" pro wrestling quicker than anybody I can recall. My fandom was such that I followed his career post-WWE, from spending six hours downloading a triple threat match he did in Japan in 2006/2007, to his UFC career, back to WWE again. I thought he was a great pro wrestler at the time, a great champion and obviously a tremendous athlete. I kind of wish he wasn't doing the MMA stuff so heavily now that he's wrestling again, the kimura finish is fine, but I loved seeing him bust out those belly to belly suplexes again at Wrestlemania.

World Heavyweight Champion: Goldberg

Goldberg_-_William_Scott_Goldberg_0.jpg

I saw a lot more of Goldberg during his championship reign than I did of Lesnar, but I never really took to Goldberg. Maybe it's because I never saw much of WCW back then, but Goldberg just didn't seem all that good to me. I remember his debut interrupting The Rock. He had this facial expression like he couldn't be arsed, and delivered his couple of lines in a kind of forced and awkward manner- "So, Rock, you want to know who's next? ... You're next!" Meh. His WWE matches seemed fairly average and overly long for a guy who had this intense style- his only redeeming feature, I remember being entertained by him quickly squashing 3MW and Mark Henry on Raw, and of course the Chamber, but during his title run, he had these painfully long, pedestrian WWE main events against Triple H that sucked the life out of me. I was a fan of the Evolution bounty storyline though.

NWA (TNA) World Heavyweight Champion: AJ Styles

16.jpg

Never been a TNA guy, even when some of my favourites like Christian, Kurt Angle, RVD and Jeff Hardy went over, I could never really invest in the product as a whole. Actually, at this time, I'm pretty sure hardly anyone in Australia knew what TNA was, being such a young company. I was at the markets a couple of years later and I saw a DVD entitled the Best of AJ Styles. At $5, I figured, "hell, why not?" and gave it a chance. I was very impressed by AJ Styles. He seemed genuinely excited about his title win, being a champion and being in the company, which is a feeling that I haven't really detected from the veteran stars whenever I gave TNA a shot. Couple that with his incredible athleticism and flashy moves, and he was very much a champion I enjoyed watching, albeit about 2 years after his actual reign on DVD. Too bad he's so loyal to TNA really, I'd love to see him with the likes of Bryan, Punk, and possibly Mysterio if he taped his knees together.

On 21st January 2007, the WWE Champion was John Cena, who was about four months into his longest reign to date of 380 days. He had just defeated Umaga at New Years Revolution and was on his way to a Last Man Standing rematch at the Rumble, which turned out to be pretty good. I think it's unfortunate this reign was cut short by injury, but it made for an interesting enough situation at No Mercy that year, so it can't all be bad.

Christian Cage had just won his second NWA World Championship a week earlier in a three-way with Sting and previous champion Abyss. He was also in the middle of a 23 month undefeated streak, and I think this was shortly before the Christian Coalition business with Tomko, Steiner and AJ Styles. Christian moving to TNA felt like a big deal at the time but in reality the lack of impact both his and more importantly Kurt Angle's leaps had really clarified the lack of competition TNA represented.

Batista's second World Heavyweight Championship reign began at the Survivor Series of 2006, but unfortunately The Animal was headed to face Ken fucking Kennedy of all people at the Royal Rumble. Thankfully, his reign was still important enough that he attracted the attention of the Rumble winner of 2007, The Undertaker, and the two had an excellent series of matches including a thrilling opening bout at WrestleMania 23.

ECW December to Dismember, also known as the "We would really like Bobby Lashley to be successful" PPV, saw the winner of the Extreme Elimination Chamber begin his first reign as ECW Champion - incidentally, I believe his second reign was the last time that WWE referred to the ECW title as a World Championship, quietly relegating the title to a status on par with the IC and US belts after Johnny Nitro won the belt following that thing which everyone knows happened and that. His first reign, though, was probably only memorable for his involvement in the 'Battle of the Billionaires' a few months later - at this point, his number one contender was Test of all people (sidenote - Test is dead. Sometimes I forget that).

Homicide was the ROH Ch... nah, just kidding :laugh:

So I joined the 6th July 2011. 11 days before Money In The Bank.

WWE Champion was John Cena - and he was due to face CM Punk. I think my profile picture on UKFF might indicate who it was I was rooting in that encounter. I wasn't exactly bored of Cena. If I remember correctly, it had been quite a while since he'd held the belt - Miz, Orton and Sheamus had all had quite good runs with the belt since him. He wasn't stale as champion yet because he had been a challenger for a while. I truly didn't feel Punk would win, even though I wanted him too. I just thought it was time for Cena to have another mega run on top, leading to a championship match against Rock. Luckily (for me at least, not sure who else would agree) it was Punk's time.

World Champion was Randy Orton. He was having some great matches with Christian, but I was still just annoyed at him for taking Christian's moment 3 days after he won it. I am, and always have been, a huge Christian fan. I couldn't get over the idea that Randy had 'politicked' his way to the belt - not that I had any proof.

TNA Champion was Mr Anderson. I think we know the UKFF's thoughts on him. I liked him in WWE as a cocky heel. Not so much as a face. In TNA, he's just meh. He's clearly given up and looks a mess.

World Championship - HHH. The synonymous heel champion of the era.

WWE Championship - JBL. The synonymous heel champion of the era.

NWA Championship - Jeff Jarrett. The synonymous heel champion of the era.

Summary - there were good heel champions in September 2004.

WWE Champion: The Miz

Having The Miz as champ was a breath of fresh air at the time although by the way he was being booked you knew it wasn't going to last. At the current rate I think it would be hard for Miz to reach this level again.

World Champion: Edge

I never really followed Smackdown at this stage but knew having Edge as champ was probably the best that Smackdown had at the time. I personally had trouble warming to Edge so this didn't really do much for me.

TNA World Champion: Sting

A name from the past that still draws and has name value. Sting was always a safe bet with TNA.

World Championship - HHH. The synonymous heel champion of the era.

WWE Championship - JBL. The synonymous heel champion of the era.

NWA Championship - Jeff Jarrett. The synonymous heel champion of the era.

Summary - there were good heel champions in September 2004.

This was a month after I joined. :thumbsup:

When I joined, Randy Orton had recently taken the WHC from Chris Benoit at Summerslam.

They messed this short run with a face-turn the day after his winning. The Legend Killer turned chump.

It led to Batista getting the ball a few months later though so they salvaged something from this mess.

JBL I did not like at first as champion and think I'm in the majority there. Put a lower/mid carder in a suit and stetson and suddenly he's main event? Over time he proved to be awesome though (at least on the mic and with matches vs Eddie).

Jeff Jarrett, well, TNA were a small company then... and they are now. Don't care who was their champ really.

Samoa Joe was ROH champion and Kenta Kobashi was NOAH champion. I think both were the most important champions in their companies respective histories. Both were so great at that time in their respective environments. ROH was built during Joe's reign and Kobashi was immense in 2004 (and pretty much his whole career).

Archived