DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Went to see Straight Outta Compton last night. The two and a half hours whizzed by. It slowed down towards the end, but obviously that was expected. Also, had no idea Paul Giammati was in it. Last few films he's popped up in a film to me unawares and put in a great performance.

• Paid Members

Went to see Straight Outta Compton last night. The two and a half hours whizzed by. It slowed down towards the end, but obviously that was expected. Also, had no idea Paul Giammati was in it. Last few films he's popped up in a film to me unawares and put in a great performance.

Tremendous, wasn't it, Nuno? Made Dre out to be a saint, but that was to be expected. And Ice Cube writing 'Friday' was ridiculously cringeworthy, but for 95% of the part, it was savage.

The recording of the Straight Outta Compton album montage, No Vaseline scene and Ice Cube smashing up Priority Records were fucking tremendous, weren't they?

Is Ice Cubes lad on vocals or is it his old man dubbed over. Cube Sr. has some superior genes either way. Have a massive urge to watch Friday now and all my old favourites like Juice and Menace to Society, I dread to think how they'll hold up.

Is Ice Cubes lad on vocals or is it his old man dubbed over. Cube Sr. has some superior genes either way. Have a massive urge to watch Friday now and all my old favourites like Juice and Menace to Society, I dread to think how they'll hold up.

Boyz N The Hood is amazing, but my favourite of the early 90s hip hop films is definitely Juice. Tupac is excellent, Omar Epps is great, excellent soundtrack, the DJ mix battles are "hype" and the VHS copy I had was stolen from my local video store. (nb. The store shut down whilst I had it on rent and I kept it...not very gangsta) WRECKING CRU!!!

Southpaw- Jake Gyllenhaal is a kind hearted Jake Lamotta but nobody told him he was in a parody of boxing films. In fairness its enjoyable enough but it throws every last boxing cliche at the screen and then some. It would have been a cracking sequel to Rocky.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Conspiracy Theory – I’d never seen it before because of my dislike of most things Julia Roberts (besides Flatliners) but I really fucking enjoyed it. Well, before the final act descended into generic Hollywood bollocks anyway.

It started off like if Evil Dead 2 met Enemy of the State, and that’s what I love about a Donner/Gibson partnership. At points, the absurdity and imagery would remind you of some warped Looney Tunes cartoon in a lot of their movies.

That scene where Gibson is strapped to the wheelchair was glorious and no cunt does crazy better than Gibson when he’s in full stride.

An absolutely marvellous opening hour or so, and I’m actually sad I carried on watching it because it just devolved into a shit, by the numbers spy thriller with a shit, cop out ending.

It still didn’t take away from the fact that the Gibson/Stewart/Torture/Escape/Wheelchair scene is one of the best things I’ve seen in years.

I know Donner is 85 now, and he won’t direct anything again most likely, but fuck me if I haven’t enjoyed all of his movies!

• Paid Members

Straight Outta Compton – Fucking brilliant. Obnoxiously energetic and at points, goosebump inducing. Probably the most entertaining biopic I’ve ever seen. The only thing that annoyed me is they made Eazy E look a cunt who had little or no career post NWA, and a few things which might have put Dr.Dre in a bad light are skipped over (Dee Barnes), but mother of all fuck, the energy that comes off the screen!

O’Shea Jackson Jr is frightening at points in nailing his oul lad, especially during the concert scenes. Everything from how he hunches his shoulders slightly to the tone of his voice.

And bravo to F.Gary Gray for the casting of Tupac. Fucking image of him. Absolute image of him!

I’m still buzzing after it. Bravo, all around.

Finally seen this and it didn't disappoint. The good far outweights the bad (everything post NWA seemed like an afterthought, the casual mention of Lench Mob, Eazy looking like he didn't do anything after the band split and the almost total lack of anything Ren or Yella) Loved it though and Cube's lad nailed it. It was scary at times how good he got it.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post here, lads.

Legend – As a movie, it was good but not great, but that/those performance(s) from Hardy is/are worthy of a multitude of accolades.

Supporting cast were good, but essentially an afterthought (like the movie itself) due to the Hardy performance. Sweet merciful hour, he was incredible.

It’s fascinating that I’m still duped by movies at nearly 36 years old, in the sense that I forgot it was actually one man playing both Kray brothers.

I grabbed my sprite by the middle and it burst open all over my crotch.

Edited by Scott Malbranque