DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

We watched Lucy last night and I think it might seriously be one of the worst films I've ever seen - right up there with the Butterfly Effect.

Yeah, it could have been a good film too, with somebody competant at the helm.

We watched Lucy last night and I think it might seriously be one of the worst films I've ever seen - right up there with the Butterfly Effect.

Totally agree, while we are talking about The Butterfly Effect, I rewatched that a while ago and it had an alternative ending which was the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. That film actually works far better as a comedy.

Agreed. I do actually enjoy the Butterfly Effect but perhaps not the way the makers intended. It regularly lurches into so bad it's hilarious territory. Lucy didn't even have that going for it.

• Paid Members

Totally agree, while we are talking about The Butterfly Effect, I rewatched that a while ago and it had an alternative ending which was the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. That film actually works far better as a comedy.

What was the alternate ending lads? In the flicks I saw him choke himself out as a baby and the same on telly.

Then my  mate said he some ending where he sees your one on the street and follows her?

• Paid Members

The one where he chokes himself out is the alternative. Original ending was him telling the girl to do one when they were kids then bumping into her on the street when they were older.

I watched the Rogue Cut of Xmen: Days Of Future Past over the weekend. Its not going to blow anyone's mind (We're not talking Aliens Special Edition levels of new content here) but it was a good addition for fans of the first film.

Most of the content was

additions to dialogue which padded out scenes and really wasn't missed in the original version. Few more lines for characters like Bishop and Ice-man which slowed down the movie a little bit. The biggest two editions were a scene between Raven and Beast, which really should have stayed in, called back to First Class and added a bit more to both of them and, the reason for the naming, the appearance of Rogue. Its quite a big scene to be cut but doesn't add to the film much and involves Magneto and Iceman having to rescue her from the mansion so she can replace an injured Kitty.

Worth seeing if you liked the original version but that's it.

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

So I saw the alternate ending in the flicks?

That doesn't make any sense, but I did see it as part of a double bill with the shit Donnie Darko's Directors Cut at a film festival about 8 year back, so it obviously wasn't the original theatrical release by the sounds of it.

It was a fucking grim afternoon, that.

Saw Inside Out on Saturday.

I actually wasn't too sure about it from the trailers, even though I've loved most of Pixar's previous work. It was right up there with their best stuff though. So much stuff that'll appeal to teenagers, adults as well as the younger kids going to see it. Loved it. I wasn't too keen on the short film before it though and I usually love them.

Saw Southpaw on the same day too.

The actual plot itself doesn't do much to reinvent the boxing film genre, but Jake Gyllenhaal is absolutely incredible. I've not seen 'Nightcrawler', but I'd say this is the best thing I've seen him in - and that includes 'Prisoners'. His performance is frightening and just amazing to watch. Forrest Whitaker also puts in a career highlight performance as well. It's pretty downbeat and grim at times, but incredibly feel-good as well. Even if you don't like boxing movies, it's one to check out.

Along with the end of Toy Story 3, and the montage in Up, I have never got so emotional over a Pixar film.

I am hoping that The Good Dinosaur is indeed good (doesn't look great), and also that they don't go ahead and make Toy Story 4. That would hurt me.

Also, I don't think voice actors get enough credit. They were all good, but Lewis Black as Anger is bloody incredible.

• Paid Members

Mission Impossible : Rogue Nation

I’ve been one of Tom Cruises biggest detractors since he jumped on Oprahs couch and opened his jap eye onto the world over Katie Holmes, but begrudgingly and against my own free will, he’s weaselled his way back into my good books (a feat of which I'm sure he's thrilled with) with Mission Impossible 4, Tropic Thunder, Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow and now has jumped to near the front of my action hero queue with this.

It’s just fucking brilliant, and everything a blockbuster should be, and Cruise, in this day and age, is an action star is without equal.

He did that plane stunt himself! I don’t care if you’ve a fucking harness on or how many Ambulances are lurking, that takes bollocks that should have him space hopping around the kip!
It’s not just a Tom Cruise elephantitis stunt fest, it’s got a wonderful twisty plot and McQuarries quality dialogue stamped all over it.

My only gripe is Renner is essentially Hawkeye again. He does fuck all in any film nowadays which is a shame, because he has undeniable charisma.

And I've never seen a dress fit a woman better than that Ferguson one.

• Paid Members

I also watched Lucy last night. I liked Sco-Jo's Abed Nadir impression

after she took the drugs most notable after the hand stabbing.

but agree it started off good, and then jumped off a cliff. One of Luc's worst.

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

Whenever I hear about Luc Besson I think 'Hes a great director' then I remember that apart from Leon and The Fifth Element he's not really made a great film since Hollywood came calling and has made some proper turds.