The Hobbies & Interests Thread

Steve Justice

Thought I would start this thread to help me get some ideas for starting my own hobby. I'm getting a bit fed up of spending all my free time either surfing the web, gaming, watching TV shows or watching films. I want to start being a bit more creative.

My wife is quite an active person and she enjoys gardening, decorating her dolls house and obviously her sewing. I have very little interest in all of these so I don't get involved that often. I'm looking for something to get me out of this rut and to get my brain working. I'm not financially well off so anything that is low cost would be ideal.

I enjoy listening to music and have quite a musical brain and although it sounds a bit geeky to say I have got rhythm. I played the piano as a lad and got quite good at it before inevitably giving it up. Although I'm not as good as I used to be I can still read music to a degree, but rather than playing an instrument I was thinking of something else but I'm not sure what.

However this thread is not just for my own personal gain, it's also an opportunity for you to share what you like to do in your spare time. So over to you.

I've already started a thread for it, but for me, card magic. Couple of decks of cards and a decent book like Royal Road to Card Magic will set you back less than a score and you've got literally hundreds of hours of entertainment right there, in a field where you'll really be able to see your improvement week by week.

Most of my hobbies and interests are already known to continuous followers of this board. Watching and reviewing deathmatch wrestling being one of the most prominent. I'm also into obscure or unusual movies, and creating my own art works, though I haven't done much new material in a while. I also used to to a little bit of hardocre MC'ing for my friends in that scene, but that seems to have all dried up now. Attending British wrestling shows is also up there in the hobbies department!

For those who have never seen my art, here's a sample. I'm dead proud of it so I don't mind pimping it out at every chance! :)

n713075396_2984737_8267.jpg

untitled1.jpg

8.jpg

• Paid Members

To call it a hobby or interest is stretching it massively but its the closest I've got to contribute, to combat getting more spastic I've recently given painting a go.

It's really not working for the record, just in case Baz stops by the thread :D

I'll try and post some photos if I can be arsed but the results are shockingly bad, just rotten. To me though its not about that, its the fun of doing it and see what sludge my brain pumps forth and making what was the worst bit of one a bit less shit next time around.

I got some old kit I found, some new kit dirt cheap and some ace stuff from Jaffa/Brownie because he's ace like that but I play around with it on a relatively small budget.

It could be done even cheaper if you opt to just stuff a load of brushes down your pants and run for the shop door, but I wouldn't condone such action.

• Awards Moderator

Am dram tends to be the main one for me - sometimes acting, sometimes backstage, occasionally writing, occasionally directing. I also have a saxophone lesson once a week but only very rarely get round to playing outside of that. When an idea strikes me I do write but haven't for ages and should really get round to it.

Reading doesn't count, I imagine.

My guilty pleasure is puzzles. I love crosswords, su doku, kakuro, word searches, arrow words, etc. The best thing is my brother subscribed me to these logical puzzle magazine. Every month a load of riddles and girds looking for the right answer. That's my hobby.

I also love writing, and I'm thinking of doing something else related to it, but we'll have to wait and see.

• Paid Members

Board and Card Games.

I don't mean Monopoly/Chess, I mean games like Arkham Horror and Gloom.

Countless hours wasted playing them. Then you can add in Dungeons and Dragons etc. to the list as well - I'm a massive nerd that will play anything at least once.

They're quite expensive though.

Am dram tends to be the main one for me - sometimes acting, sometimes backstage, occasionally writing, occasionally directing.

That does appeal to me actually. I really enjoyed drama class at school and always got involved. Might take a look into that.

You looking for something that results in anything concrete or just for fun?

There's plenty of free courses about http://www.open.edu/openlearn/history-the-arts/culture/music

You could get some free music software (plain old Audacity's a good enough start) and mix up the muffins in the Frenchman's kitchen. If you fancy playing some live sets in your living room download Mixx or VirtualDJ Free edition and do some live mixing.

Loads of teach yourself instrument videos on Youtube.

There's a start.

Edit: for myself it would be study, youth work, and perfecting cutting my own hair. Like to frequent the arts and all that as well.

Anything really at the moment. We'll see what happens from there. Obviously I can see the benefits with my wife's hobbies that earn her some cash, so that wouldn't be a negative goal, but it's not what I'm directly aiming at.

I'll give those free music software a go too. Hopefully it's something that I can pick up and enjoy.

Cheers for the replies so far. It's giving me something to think about.

I read and collect comic books and I love collectables relating to them and the movies spawned from them. So essentially the same ridiculously expensive action figures as previously mentioned. I love Lego too. As someone with no aspirations of kids, I'm not missing out, so I just get it myself and stick it in my house. Just got the massive Death Star. I also play guitar mainly, but also a bit of piano, drums & various other stringed instruments. I just moved away from all my friends and family so I currently have plenty of time to do all this. I do like the idea of card magic as Dave said, I might have a look at that.

Countless hours wasted playing them. Then you can add in Dungeons and Dragons etc. to the list as well - I'm a massive nerd that will play anything at least once.

I too am a massive nerd and have often wondered about crossing the final frontier into geekdom with Dungeons and Dragons. How do you play it? Is it one of those types of games where one guy is the game master and he basically just makes up a story and the players have to roll dice to decide their fate? I don't think I'd have the patience and concentration for it these days, but in my Warhammer loving 90's heyday I would've probably fit right into that scene.

• Paid Members

Who was it on here who was building a pinball machine.

Was it Rosegarden? I remember it being mentioned but I'd love to hear more on how it went on if the person responsible is still about and can post some pics.

• Paid Members
Who was it on here who was building a pinball machine.

Was it Rosegarden? I remember it being mentioned but I'd love to hear more on how it went on if the person responsible is still about and can post some pics.

Yeah it was there was a poll and it was voted to be done in an Arrested Development style, but then the incident.........

Archived