• Paid Members

I’d love to know when seasons start and finish too. I was browsing the Raw category on the WWE Network last night and an episode a couple of weeks back was the “season premiere”. I’ve never heard WWE refer to “seasons” of their shows, just how it’s the “longest running weekly episodic show”. 

Edited by Your Fight Site

WWE doesn't run in seasons. They occasionally call a September/October episode of Raw or Smackdown the "season premiere" (the same time that other shows are coming back for their actual season premieres) to make it seem like a special episode and drive up ratings. Same as when they do King of the Ring or the Slammy Awards, or that time Smackdown had a Christmas special in November.

That wouldn't work though, at least not currently. The season finale and the season premiere, in wrestling terms, have to contain the same thing -- "free PPV matches" concluding the hot feuds of the moment without burning your next actual pay-per-view. You couldn't do your season premiere advertising Jericho vs Wyatt in a cage, for example, and then advertise Jericho vs Wyatt in a cell for next week. They did used to do the season finale then next week premiere with the original NXT, and it worked well enough. But that show was very different to the main WWE storylines, where you're building to Night of Champions or Hell in a Cell at the same time.

• Paid Members

I know it wouldn't work, I was just off-handedly suggesting that if they wanted to big up a random episode of Raw by giving it a bullshit 'season premiere' tag, then by their own warped logic, the week before should have been a season finale and not just another wanky episode full of the same matches we've been watching all year. In reality, Raw is the same every single week and the fans know this. The closest thing to a season finale is WrestleMania, with the following Raw being the new season premiere. That's the way it has felt the past few years.

• Paid Members

Would Lucha Underground be the first wrestling show that uses seasons to actually get a second one? WSX and RKK both died after the first, and that Jeff Katz one died without broadcast.

You can add Wrestlicious to that list too. About the only one I can think of that actually came back for a second season is Lucha Libre USA: Masked Warriors.

Edited by Catfish Jake

Ive been a veiwer of Impact since 2007 and its actually a sad experience watching the show. The Hardyz are currently wrestling in front of a crowd of fuck all. The cameraman is trying so hard no to get the big, black, gaping arena into shot but its an impossible task. TNA need that pink room the AWA used to use when they were on their arse.

Edited by Fanny Pack

• Paid Members

Didn't he do this Underground stuff aswel? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chlTOY80V4E

Reminds me of Fight Night on the PlayStation where you’re move out of the gym into warehouse shows, or the result of an MTV executive’s ideas after playing Def Jam Vendetta.