MIKE GRAHAM DEAD (Now substantiated)

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Saw this on Jerry Jarrett's FB, so it's probably true.

Jerry W. Jarrett

I just read that Mike Graham died and the report I read states that he took his life. I am praying that this report is not true. For me personally it opens up the raw hurt that I had hoped would not return from his dad, Eddie, taking his life. Mike was a true "tough guy" in the image of his dad. Mike was a good wrestler and had that magic called charisma. I don't guess I'll ever understand good men taking their own live. My longtime partner, Tojo, took his life too. I don't think I'll ever understand.

EDIT: Looks to be true

MIKE GRAHAM PASSES AWAY

By Mike Johnson on 2012-10-19 13:00:15 Michael Gossett, best known professionally as Mike Graham, the son of late Championship Wrestling from Florida promoter Eddie Graham, passed away today at the age of 61. We don't have details at this time beyond that he was in Daytona, Florida for Bike Week with his wife and was found deceased.

Graham, a tremendously gifted in-ring performer from a technical standpoint, was trained by Hiro Matsuda, Boris Malenko and his father in the early 1970s and had a long run as a babyface in the Florida territory but made appearances for the WWF, AWA and other promotions as well. He had won just about every championship there was in the old Florida territory and had several stints as the AWA Light Heavyweight champion.

Graham closed out his regular in-ring career in the early 1990s for WCW before becoming a road agent for the company and was off and on with WCW as a trainer and producer until the company closed in 2001.

Graham was also involved in several start-up companies in the 1980s and 1990s, often trying to recapture the magic of the old Florida territory, most notably with PWF in Florida, which featured Dusty Rhodes returning to the State as its top star following his run as booker for Crockett Promotions, as well as talents like Dustin Rhodes, Big Steel Man (Fred "Typhoon" Ottman), and others. He was also involved in Rhodes' Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling and Jimmy Hart's XWF.

Graham, a staple in the Florida wrestling scene for his entire life, still appeared occasionally on legends events promoted by WrestleReunion and similar promotions and appeared on several of the early Legends of Wrestling roundtable discussion shows produced by WWE's 24/7 Video on Demand channel. He accepted his father's posthumous WWE Hall of Fame induction over Wrestlemania 24 weekend, showcasing a large photo he was giving WWE of an old NWA convention gathering of promoters.

Graham was also involved in the training of a number of talents who broke in during the 1980s and 1990s.

Graham maintained ownership of the tape library of his father's promotion and refused to sell to WWE until he got what he wanted to, often commenting and advising others that he wasn't going to let anyone back a truck up and take his family legacy away for nothing. In the end, he did sell the library with an alleged seven figure price-tag. At the World Wrestling Legends 6:05 Reunion PPV, where Graham wrestled, JJ Dillon quipped on the mic that he looked like someone who thought "he won a million dollars", a reference to the pricetag.

Our deepest condolences to the family, friends and fans of Mike Graham. We'll have more details as we receive them.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/72761/mik...s-away.html?p=1

Also confirmed by Dustin Rhodes on twitter who's family was very very very close with the Grahams.

Just been finding out a bit more about the Grahams. I watched the Legends of Wrestling DVD the other day with the roundtable about Jerry Lawler and Junkyard Dog and he was on the panel. Apparently he was a nice guy but his dad treated him like a prick. Haven't seen any of his matches but they are impressive people to train him.

RIP. I'm sure I'll learn more about him soon.

Sorry if I'm getting mixed up, but was this the bloke who's been on a few DVDs taking credit for the nWo, Steve Austin, Nitro, Hulkamania, The Rock and everything else from his desk just outside Eric Bischoff's office back in the 90s? I liked the cut of his bullshitting jib. Suicides always sad too. Shame.

• Paid Members

Wrestler deaths don't normally faze me. They are not unexpected. Wrestlers have a high mortality rate. They take pills. They snort coke. They drink. They live on the road. They take bump after bump. They roid themselves to the gills. The business takes its toll and, sometimes, they die young (or before their time, anyway). It's unfortunate, and it's sad, but it happens.

There is something tragic in Mike Graham shooting himself though. Killing himself in the same way his father did twenty-seven years before. More so than any recent wrestling death I can remember it made me do a double take. There is just something so utterly tragic about it.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, as if the death of his father from a suicide wasn't shit enough in this story...

...regarding the death of Mike Graham (real name Edward Gossett) last week. The report states that Graham was found "lying face up" on a bed after a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Graham's wife told police that he had been threatening suicide for the last two years after the suicide death of his son Steven Gossett two years earlier.

Archived