Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Owens is wrestling Big Show for the IC title.

In which case, I'm glad they're not saving that for Mania.

Theres a glorious match on SNME pre Survivor Series 89 between The Model and Santana. They have their SS teams with them at ringside. Bossman, Akeem, Honky, Slick and Jimmy Hart. Santana has Beefcake, Rooster and Dusty in his corner. It's such a great spectacle of colour and charachters. Jesse and Vince are superb and the crowb are rabid.

Wrestling at it's best.

I'll give this a blast. The Chemistry between those two was amazing. Two super talented workers. Martel is solid gold in my eyes. 

Making my way through old ECW shows starting from 1994 and christ Joey Styles is an irritating, little shit.

Maybe its because I'm older now but his WCW digs fall flat every time since WCW must have given them permission to use some of their talent in 1995.

I still enjoy ECW but watching with older eyes I can see why people find it off putting.

• Paid Members

Maybe its because I'm older now but his WCW digs fall flat every time since WCW must have given them permission to use some of their talent in 1995.

Like who?

Like who?

Ah crap I might be thinking of 1994.

Cactus Jack, Brian Pilman and Steve Austin were all still working for WCW then right? Also wasn't WCW in on the Loose Cannon angle in 1996 before Pilman signed for WWE?

Ron Simmons also worked some shows in 94 but I don't know if he was still WCW at that point.

Like who?

Ah crap I might be thinking of 1994.

Cactus Jack, Brian Pilman and Steve Austin were all still working for WCW then right? Also wasn't WCW in on the Loose Cannon angle in 1996 before Pilman signed for WWE?

Ron Simmons also worked some shows in 94 but I don't know if he was still WCW at that point.

There was also a Arn Anderson & Terry Funk vs Bobby Eaton & Sabu match in 1994.

Edited by benbobjr

I know he is not the most reliable source but I recently watched a ECW Exposed Live old WWE Network special and Paul Heyman claimed that he was able to use WCW talent as they were the results of settlement agreements in lawsuits he won against them. 

• Paid Members

Not sure of the deal with Anderson & Eaton.

Simmons wasn't under WCW contract AFAIK.

Foley had given notice to WCW when he started in ECW, but was under contract for the first few matches and did them with permission. WCW was barely running house shows at the time.

The story with Austin in 94 (replaced by Pillman because of injury) was that ECW had done a show called When Worlds Collide and then WCW used the name for the AAA PPV, so Heyman sued with the intention of getting an Austin booking as a settlement rather than seriously expecting to take it to court and win some money.

With Pillman in 1996, Bischoff and Sullivan knew he'd be there and were OK with it, but technically he was out of contract because he talked them into legitimately firing him to get the angle over, which is why he could later sign with WWF.

Edited by JNLister

In that Champion of Champions segment that the fans hijack to cheer for Bryan, Cena is utterly incredible at keeping things on point to do the job he's out there to do, but satisfying the fans' need to anoint Bryan as their new hero. Talking about 'work' by using D-Bry to do a little Q&A and then offering him the shot if he wins on Sunday.

I'll take all his kiddie script-reading ones week after week for the times when he brings the goods. Cena is in my top 5 promo guys, piss easy.

A Mark Dallas post asking for suggestions for 1940s wrestler names popped up on my Facebook feed and I'm in bits reading through it so I thought I'd share some of my favorites:

"The musclebound rapscallion" George Saint Pennyfarthing

"The Velvet Phantom" Ed Carbunkle

Ernest 'Feelings are for the Womenfolk' McBillington

"Wanderer" Bobby McClusky

Diamond Donny Oldham

"Sweet Taffy" Floyd Malloy

My housemate has also suggested Herbie "Hanky Panky" Hunkbuckle. I would pay to see a card full of these chaps. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK