Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I remember getting into a row with a lad in the playground over Low Down. He reckoned they were total horseshit but I loved them on Heat due to their great finisher.

We almost came to blows, but then I reminded the boy in question that he was messing with the real deal now, and threw his sorry ass out on the street.

• Paid Members
We almost came to blows, but then I reminded the boy in question that he was messing with the real deal now, and threw his sorry ass out on the street.

Did you give him his receipt?

Did he used to think he owned the street?

Was victory sweet?

Did he bring it on?

What did he do about it?

So many questions. We need answers!!

• Paid Members

Did he used to think he owned the street?

Was victory sweet?

Did he bring it on?

What did he do about it?

So many questions. We need answers!!

Truly important issues of our time.

I would love to see those questions tabled in parliament to David Cameron by D'Lo himself, before hitting our "illustrious" prime minister with a Sky High and then a Lo Down from the top of the Strangers' Gallery.

D'Lo losing the European title to British Bulldog was genuinely one of the most traumatic moments of my childhood, more upsetting than when I found out my aunt had future endeavored my uncle for hitting her with a closed fist.

The event was doubly troubling, as in my rural Irish playground, Bulldog was considered something of a big English gay.

I fucking loved D'Lo.

I'm not doing the old "wrestling is crap now compared to the old days" thing, (well, I probably am a bit), but I'm watching KOTR 93 for the several hundreth time in my wasted life, and they just don't have it in them to do some of the storytelling these days that they did with Bret Hart through that show. Having Bret get his fingers knackered in the opener so he'd be struggling for the technical match against Perfect, having that match fuck up his legs and back for a final showdown with a fresh as a daisy Bigelow, all wonderfully explained in detail on commentary and so fantastically put across by Bret and his opponents in those matches to make sure the live crowd got the idea too. It's a really artistically satisfying one-man show, seemingly intentionally juxtaposed with the old dinosaur Hogan going down to an exploding camera and a load of hokey shite on his way out the side door. It's like one big team effort for Bret because Vince has told everybody that's where we're going. (Until a few weeks time and we're giving Luger a bus).

The industry has changed so so much now that I don't reckon any of that type of thing gets a fanny hair's width of space to breathe on a modern PPV or Raw, and it's a shame because it's really identifiable writing, even now. TV show writers would understand it just as well as grizzled old wrestling folk. A proper sports entertainment masterpiece.

• Paid Members
I'm not doing the old "wrestling is crap now compared to the old days" thing, (well, I probably am a bit), but I'm watching KOTR 93 for the several hundreth time in my wasted life, and they just don't have it in them to do some of the storytelling these days that they did with Bret Hart through that show. Having Bret get his fingers knackered in the opener so he'd be struggling for the technical match against Perfect, having that match fuck up his legs and back for a final showdown with a fresh as a daisy Bigelow, all wonderfully explained in detail on commentary and so fantastically put across by Bret and his opponents in those matches to make sure the live crowd got the idea too. It's a really artistically satisfying one-man show, seemingly intentionally juxtaposed with the old dinosaur Hogan going down to an exploding camera and a load of hokey shite on his way out the side door. It's like one big team effort for Bret because Vince has told everybody that's where we're going. (Until a few weeks time and we're giving Luger a bus).

The industry has changed so so much now that I don't reckon any of that type of thing gets a fanny hair's width of space to breathe on a modern PPV or Raw, and it's a shame because it's really identifiable writing, even now. TV show writers would understand it just as well as grizzled old wrestling folk. A proper sports entertainment masterpiece.

I loved that event. The final against Bigelow is, to my mind, one of the most underrated matches WWE's ever had - the sheer drama was unreal at the time, and the set-up to it was masterful. It was clear why Bret was going to be the man, and the post-event angle and subsequent feud with Lawler was just as great. I really hated Lawler for all the shit he pulled, attacking Bret but also insulting his family, etc.

A separate thing, but I never understood why Lawler was always positioned as a commentator and part-time wrestler when he got the reactions he got. I reckon he could have had a great run as a full-time wrestler, maybe even a run with the belt.

I cried three times during King of the Ring 1993. For Bret, Hulk and, um, Crush. I was an emotional child...

But yeah... a masterful show, looking back at it. Echo the love for Bret vs Bigelow. I still don't think anyone since has told the amount of gripping stories in that ring as Bret did.