UFC 151: 'The Event That Never Was'

wandshogun09

Jon Jones says "that doesn't work for me brother"  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The fact that the whole show has been cancelled will have cost the UFC a shitload of money on promotion, the venue and so forth, not to mention the fact that the undercard fighters are all out of pocket.

None of that is Jon Jones' problem. He should have been turning down the Sonnen fight even without being advised. Says a lot for him that he was going to take it. Just not entirely sure WHAT it says though.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Proper shit news. Chael filling in for Hendo would've made for an amazing story. Plus, having been through a full training camp, Jones would've likely destroyed Sonnen whilst making a shit load of money in the process. All he's done by accepting Machida instead is given himself a harder fight, against a bigger threat, with his opponent having more time to prepare, whilst simultaneously pissing off Dana and making less money when fewer people buy his fight.

Proper shit news. Chael filling in for Hendo would've made for an amazing story. Plus, having been through a full training camp, Jones would've likely destroyed Sonnen whilst making a shit load of money in the process. All he's done by accepting Machida instead is given himself a harder fight, against a bigger threat, with his opponent having more time to prepare, whilst simultaneously pissing off Dana and making less money when fewer people buy his fight.

Well put.

• Paid Members

Get the feeling Jones & Jackson know there's more money down the line with Sonnen moving up to LHW by declining the fight now, building a 'storyline' & giving Chael some ammo for him to use in his pre-fight schtick. Or I might just be being overly cynical?

• Paid Members

Well put.

Plus, had a miracle happened and Chael had actually won the title, can you imagine how big the rematch would've been? Jones would've likely been given an immediate rematch and made millions and millions.

Greg Jackson might know how to win a fight, but in terms of business and making money he's a fucking mong.

Get the feeling Jones & Jackson know there's more money down the line with Sonnen moving up to LHW by declining the fight now, building a 'storyline' & giving Chael some ammo for him to use in his pre-fight schtick. Or I might just be being overly cynical?

I don't think the UFC will allow him to cost them a shitload of cash then go on to make even more money in a fight with Sonnen.

A quote from Hendo's official Facebook page;

Sadly and unfortunately, I partially tore a ligament in my knee in training. As a result I've had to make one of the toughest decisions that I have ever had to make...for the first time in my career I am forced to pull out of a fight, my fight with Jon Jones at UFC 151. Luckily, surgery is not needed at this time and I will be completely devoted to rehabing my knee as quickly as possible. I feel that I owe it to my fans and all the people supporting me to fight at my full potential in order to give myself a chance to win the UFC title. I appreciate the loyal support that I have felt from my fans. I want to thank all of my coaches and team of guys for the great support with my training camp. Most importantly, I appreciate their honesty when I needed them the most to make this very difficult decision. I also want to thank Dana and Lorenzo for being so understanding and supportive. I will continue to pursue the UFC belt with all of my heart!

• Paid Members

There's no greater story than the one they just turned down.

• Paid Members

Dunno if it's really about 'allowing' him given the short amount of time before the event this happened. How much blame should be placed at the UFC's door for not having a big enough fight on the undercard to allow the event to go on?

A quote from Hendo's official Facebook page;

Sadly and unfortunately, I partially tore a ligament in my knee in training. As a result I've had to make one of the toughest decisions that I have ever had to make...for the first time in my career I am forced to pull out of a fight, my fight with Jon Jones at UFC 151. Luckily, surgery is not needed at this time and I will be completely devoted to rehabing my knee as quickly as possible. I feel that I owe it to my fans and all the people supporting me to fight at my full potential in order to give myself a chance to win the UFC title. I appreciate the loyal support that I have felt from my fans. I want to thank all of my coaches and team of guys for the great support with my training camp. Most importantly, I appreciate their honesty when I needed them the most to make this very difficult decision. I also want to thank Dana and Lorenzo for being so understanding and supportive. I will continue to pursue the UFC belt with all of my heart!

Hope Dan Henderson gets that UFC Light Heavyweight shot at some point.

• Paid Members

Like Dead Mike said. The fact that the UFC pinned the whole cars on Jones is their own fault. While it may not do jones any good turnin down the fight, UFC 151 could have survived if it had a co main and a decent undercard. To blame it ALL on Jones is typical Dana over reaction. In the end it's their own fault for putting all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

Archived