UFC 151: 'The Event That Never Was'

wandshogun09

Jon Jones says "that doesn't work for me brother"  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
And chiming in on the Chael situation...i text Silky Kisser earlier today mentioning that i thought Chael/Jones was being set up. I think Sonnen has known for a week or so that Hendo was struggling. The sudden attack of Jones on twitter came out of nowhere, this week's UFC Tonight featured Sonnen talking shit about Jones again (no Hendo!) and i just think the UFC had a feeling something was gonna go down. I thought perhaps Jones was in on it as well but that's proven untrue and they had mutually agreed to do some pre-promotion but clearly not. I do think that however that the Jackson camp had an inkling that something was up though, Jones recently removed all tweets and went quiet on the Sonnen situation....could it have been that he was aware that the Team Quest guys were trying to lull Jones into a bit of a trap and he simply backed out early because he would never have had any intention of fighting Sonnen? Bit of a conspiracy theory smile.gif

I don't think this is that far off. I might've been over thinking this & got a bit Duane-ish about the whole thing but could the whole Sonnen stepping up thing have been exaggerated a little by the UFC? If they knew Hendo was out & Jones wasn't going to fight Sonnen why not make the most out of a bad situation & use the whole fiasco to build up to a bigger, more lucrative future fight?

It seems that Jones wasn't told that if he didn't take the fight the event was off...why? As previously mentioned, that would surely be a big motivator for him?

Most people agree that Jones would've likely beat Chael. A rematch would be miles off as Chael would have to start from the bottom & there's plenty of guys at LHW who'd get in the way of his rematch.

Sonnen isn't going to be in the title hunt any time soon through regular means, there's at least 5 fights (Hendo, Machida, Rashad, Belfort, Gustafsson?) he'll have to go through before he gets to Jones so they put the wheels in motion for a big drawing fight down the line. By putting the blame publicly on Jones the UFC have diverted attention from their booking (if we're all saying the card being cancelled, fighters losing money is their fault I'm damn sure all the UFC fighters are thinking it, regardless of what they're tweeting in public) & made Jones into an uber-heel. His upcoming fight with Belfort will now draw more that it would've previously, if Jones wins the Chael talk ramps up, if Jones loses then they get to make the Sonnen fight sooner.

Something here isn't sitting right. I don't think many people take Dana's rants that seriously any more. He's flip-flopped on his opinions of fighters that much & talked that much shit over the years him ranting, whilst mildly amusing is just water off a ducks back for the most part (watch the 'Like Water' doc & see him talking about how he was gonna cut Anderson after the Maia fight.....course you were Dana :rolleyes: ).

It might all be legit but as Ebb said, I think that behind the scenes they knew how this was screwed so chose a path that would make them all $ in the long run.

• Paid Members

While I get the points about the other fighters fans hotels and stuff, I don't see anyone having a pop at Machida for turning down Jones on a months notice? Jones had accepted that one.

My initial thought to all of this was they are building to Sonnen/ Jones in this fiasco. Sonnens totally undeserving of the LHW shot however by making himself the white knight yesterday likely knowing that it wasn't going to happen leapfrogged the rest of the LHWs now we get 2/3 months of Sonnens WWE lite gibberish an rehearsed sound bites until Jones "wants" to punch Sonnens lights out bearing in mind they were setting it up via twitter over the last couple of weeks.

But now Vitor? This couldn't get any crazier unless they announce they offered the fight to Arianny Celeste who turned it down because her hair wouldn't be ready in a month or something.

• Paid Members
2630438[/url]']

2630066[/url]' date='Aug 23 2012, 16:46']I can't believe someone suggested Matt fucking Hamill!

That was me. In my ignorance, why was it such a bad suggestion given the circumstances? I'm not having a pop at you, or trying to be an arse, just wondering if you could expand.

Sorry, I wasn't having a pop either. Just out of everyone suggested, Hamill just seemed such an outsider. Dude was retired after a 0-2 skid last week. Although, I do concede that he is the only person with a victory over Jones :)

What a crazy few hours. I think the eventual Sonnen/Jones build up and fight will be on a bigger scale than Silva/Sonnen ever was. Chael is a master at playing whatever card he is dealt. I might have to change my sig again.

• Paid Members

Well I guess I shall give my 2 cents on this whole debacle.

Firstly, Jon Jones is a complete pussy for turning down the fight. I actually have no problem with fighters turning down a fight but turning down a fight with a man who hasn't trained and is coming up from the 185 pound division is madness.

The only reason to turn down Sonnen is the potential of a money spinning pay off with Sonnen later down the line. For obvious reasons 8 days of Sonnen's trash talk wouldn't be anywhere near as good as months of build up, but the main problem with this theory is that there is a major possibility Sonnen won't even get there. Therefore in my opinion he is potentially turning down a massive pay check right now as I guarantee this event would have jumped massively in comparison to what Hendo would have drawn and UFC 152.

Then there is the ridiculous fight that is Belfort. Now don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to it, but it simply doesn't make sense? If Hendo doesn't need surgery surely it would be worth waiting a few weeks to see if he could say fight in November instead? What's the urgency to get Jones on a card?

Additionally, I don't see the rationale of giving Bellfort the shot ahead of Sonnen after the fight was offered yesterday? But, once again, it's perhaps a strategy to build upon the controversy.

All this really shows the pathetic lack of depth in 205 division right now.

Where the hell was Rashad in all of this? Surely he could have stepped up? His latest tweets relate to him being in training so surely he was a candidate?

Then there is the ridiculous fight that is Belfort. Now don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to it, but it simply doesn't make sense? If Hendo doesn't need surgery surely it would be worth waiting a few weeks to see if he could say fight in November instead? What's the urgency to get Jones on a card?

Because that card is fucking dire, name wise I mean. So putting the Jones fight on there might help it, and after losing a bunch of money, they won't want to have such a poor buyrate on the next show.

• Paid Members
I fucking hate Chael Sonnen, but I'm really glad he exists.

Do you not have a soul????????

Maybe he doesn't warm to convicted fraudsters & drug cheats? Regardless of how much of a 'megalolz' promo they can cut?

In all seriousness though, if this little fiasco puts Sonnen directly in the LHW title hunt the UFC will lose a lot of credibility.

• Paid Members
I hope Vitor smashes him, and then Dana drops him to the bottom of the card. Complete shambles of a champion.

Wow! Really? Because he turned down a fight he's now a 'shambles of champion'? Him tearing through the division is disregarded as easily as that?

• Paid Members
I fucking hate Chael Sonnen, but I'm really glad he exists.

Do you not have a soul????????

Maybe he doesn't warm to convicted fraudsters & drug cheats? Regardless of how much of a 'megalolz' promo they can cut?

In all seriousness though, if this little fiasco puts Sonnen directly in the LHW title hunt the UFC will lose a lot of credibility.

Jesus Christ, it was a joke. Lighten up.

Archived