UFC 151: 'The Event That Never Was'

wandshogun09

Jon Jones says "that doesn't work for me brother"  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Off the top of my head, Xtreme Couture has Sonnen, Marquardt, Stann and Maynard- although I think Chael spends time with Team Quest as well.

I don't think Sonnen, Stann or Marquardt were ever at Xtreme Couture were they? Chael's been Team Quest pretty much his whole career and Nate's a Greg Jackson/Grudge guy.

Xtreme Couture was Randy, Forrest, Belfort for a bit, Maynard (not anymore), Tyson Griffin, Jay Hieron, Martin Kampmann, Ray Sefo. And Wanderlei Silva made it his home when he first moved to the US. He was with XC for the Liddell fight through to the 3rd Rampage fight I think.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I knew I messed up with Sonnen, edited him out now, but I was fairly convinced on Marquardt and Stann. Might research it some, this interests me way more than the uni work I'm meant to do.

EDIT: According to the Wiki, Dunham, Bader and the Reem currently make Xtreme Couture home in addition to the names you listed. And yeah, no Marquardt or Stann. I probably just saw them wear a Xtreme Couture shirt one time and made that connection haha.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure with Stann to be fair. He might have been there for a bit. I think he was more an ATT guy though. Not sure if he's still with them or not these days.

Marquardt I'm pretty sure has been with Jacksons for years. Might have trained at Team Quest briefly because I'm sure him and Chael mentioned in the build up to their fight that they'd trained together in the past. That might be where the confusion is.

Edit - Reem's not there now, he's a 'Blackzilian'. He did train at Randy's for the Brock fight though. Didn't know Bader was at Xtreme Couture these days.

I'm not sure with Stann to be fair. He might have been there for a bit. I think he was more an ATT guy though. Not sure if he's still with them or not these days.

Nah he's at Jackson's these days, joined them just before his drop to MW (after the Davis loss). Though I remember reading that he just trained at a gym near his home in Atlanta for the Sakara fight, due to his brother-in-law dying.

I do not know if Sonnen is with another Team Quest camp as there a few, but I do know he does not work with Matt Lindland anymore. I think he has his own camp these days. Hendo also has his own gym he works with.

Team Quest is not what it used to be.

I think Bader has a new camp, but I am not sure it is Xtreme Couture.

EDIT: It is

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2011/07/19/ryan-ba...es-in-his-game/

I am not so sure Lindland could teach Chael anymore to be honest, as a Chael fan I am glad he spent his time broadening his horizon by bringing in Vinny Malgares to help his BJJ and doing different stuff with his camp.

Chael under Lindland did well, but there was always serious flaws in his game which he is now trying to address. It did not work with Anderson, but he did show some submission resistance at least in the second fight when Anderson went for a sub in the first round.

Yeah you're probably right there. Change is good sometimes, maybe Chael felt like he'd gone as far as he could with Lindland.

Towards the end of his run with Lindland Chael basically was Lindland (except younger and faster), so to say he'd learned all he could in that respect is an understatement.

I wanna go back through the forum and look it up but i can't be arsed, but can anyone pinpoint the exact moment that everyone started hating Greg Jackson?

I can't speak for everyone but I've not liked him since 2007 when he turned GSP into a dry humping snoozefest.

272253_360234387387304_2001894713_o.jpg

I mean the guy was voted MMA coach of the year by the fans just last year, i can't see him picking up that accolade this year somehow.

Who get's it then? If Jackson doesn't get the award (and I don't think he'll care if he doesn't) it'll simply be embarrassing for whoever gets it instead.

seagal-doll.jpg

;)

• Paid Members
I know all that and I've heard all the interviews from all parties. I'm saying it's not really 3 days notice. It's 3 days to alter an existing gameplan. He already had a full camp. "3 days notice" implies he hasn't been training at all and got a phonecall out of nowhere. It's skewing the facts. Guys who usually take fights "on short notice" haven't had a full camp and have questionable cardio, trouble making weight, etc. Jones doesn't fit that bill. He was just offered a new, and easier, opponent.

To be honest I've not heard it talked about as three days "notice". I've heard Jackson say numerous times that it's three days "prep time", which is different.

""Fighting somebody on three days' notice is not reasonable to me"

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/28/32729...-not-reasonable

I know all that and I've heard all the interviews from all parties. I'm saying it's not really 3 days notice. It's 3 days to alter an existing gameplan. He already had a full camp. "3 days notice" implies he hasn't been training at all and got a phonecall out of nowhere. It's skewing the facts. Guys who usually take fights "on short notice" haven't had a full camp and have questionable cardio, trouble making weight, etc. Jones doesn't fit that bill. He was just offered a new, and easier, opponent.

To be honest I've not heard it talked about as three days "notice". I've heard Jackson say numerous times that it's three days "prep time", which is different.

""Fighting somebody on three days' notice is not reasonable to me"

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/28/32729...-not-reasonable

Listen to the interview. And the interview he did with Mauro Ranallo. And the interview he did with Josh Gross. He says numerous times that three days to prepare for another opponent is unrealistic and unreasonable.

You can play with words all you want, but the truth is, Jackson was 100% correct in the advice he gave his fighter.

Archived