UFC 151: 'The Event That Never Was'

wandshogun09

Jon Jones says "that doesn't work for me brother"  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Doesn't matter if he's right or wrong from here on in he's going to be hated. That was entirely predictable. Now the only decision is whether he embraces it or whether he tries to fight it. If I was his business manager I'd be going mental - the guy's just got a worldwide Nike contract and now he's going to be screamed out of the building and told to go fuck himself in front of their executives.

Jones is one of the new breed of MMA athletes, who's all about the sponsorship deals, and all about making the money.

He knows that a fight with Sonnen will be there further down the line, with a build that may include a primetime series, some media tours and he'll be resting safe in the knowledge that Sonnen will play the part of the pro wrestling goofball, talking the stupid shit to hook the fans who buy into that kind of thing.

He recognises that fighting Chael with zero build won't do his bank account anywhere near as good as fighting him with a few months build and hype. He destroys Sonnen regardless of course, so it makes no real difference to him from a sporting standpoint.

Meanwhile, he'll not change his style, or go "heel" if that's what you mean. He'll continue as he has done, being nothing more than a consumate professional athlete, which helps when you're looking for those Nike deals and so forth. There's a reason why Sonnen is pushing a Jon Jones pizza, whilst Jones is working with some top level companies.

The Nike executives would see the UFC PPV cancellation for what it really is. The inability of Joe Silva and Dana White to be able to handle the sheer amount of shows they're trying to stage these days. The event failed because they put together a shit card and because Dan Henderson hid his injury for three weeks, not because Jones refused to fight Sonnen.

I know all that and I've heard all the interviews from all parties. I'm saying it's not really 3 days notice. It's 3 days to alter an existing gameplan. He already had a full camp. "3 days notice" implies he hasn't been training at all and got a phonecall out of nowhere. It's skewing the facts. Guys who usually take fights "on short notice" haven't had a full camp and have questionable cardio, trouble making weight, etc. Jones doesn't fit that bill. He was just offered a new, and easier, opponent.

To be honest I've not heard it talked about as three days "notice". I've heard Jackson say numerous times that it's three days "prep time", which is different. There simply wasn't enough time to lay down a gameplan for Sonnen.

Although, I do have to say, I think that both Jones & Jackson turned down that fight for the reasons I posted above. There's more money to be made in beating Sonnen with a few months build than there is with a weeks build.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

going off on a little tangent here...

I wanna go back through the forum and look it up but i can't be arsed, but can anyone pinpoint the exact moment that everyone started hating Greg Jackson?

I think it was the time he did the 'go get some fans' thing with Jones, from that moment on it's been a downhill slump in terms of the guys popularity, but before that moment he was one of the most popular non-fighter personalities in the sport, the fans fucking loved him...we did on here!! i remember us having discussions about his wacky corner instructions and stuff. How the tides have turned.

I mean the guy was voted MMA coach of the year by the fans just last year, i can't see him picking up that accolade this year somehow.

134381079_extra_large.jpg

I mean the guy was voted MMA coach of the year by the fans just last year, i can't see him picking up that accolade this year somehow.

Who get's it then? If Jackson doesn't get the award (and I don't think he'll care if he doesn't) it'll simply be embarrassing for whoever gets it instead.

• Paid Members

Who get's it then? If Jackson doesn't get the award (and I don't think he'll care if he doesn't) it'll simply be embarrassing for whoever gets it instead.

Cesar Gracie?

Cesar Gracie?

I guess if anyone wouldn't be embarrassed to get Greg Jackson's award it would be him! :laugh:

going off on a little tangent here...

I wanna go back through the forum and look it up but i can't be arsed, but can anyone pinpoint the exact moment that everyone started hating Greg Jackson?

I think it was the time he did the 'go get some fans' thing with Jones, from that moment on it's been a downhill slump in terms of the guys popularity, but before that moment he was one of the most popular non-fighter personalities in the sport, the fans fucking loved him...we did on here!! i remember us having discussions about his wacky corner instructions and stuff. How the tides have turned.

It was greasegate, then it grew with "go get some fans" and exploded even more this past week.

Cesar Gracie?

Javier Mendez

There are a handful of guys just as good as Jackson, many fighters these days do not commit to one camp, they tailor camps around them like Chael and Brock did or travel around like Schaub does.

• Paid Members

Cesar Gracie?

Javier Mendez

There are a handful of guys just as good as Jackson, many fighters these days do not commit to one camp, they tailor camps around them like Chael and Brock did or travel around like Schaub does.

stankie.jpg

Stankie pisses all over Pantsniffer Jackson.

Nah seriously, I'll throw in Luis Dorea;

429_121-doreaa.jpg

He's a boxing coach moreso than an actual MMA coach but he deserves more recognition for what he's done. Guys like Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, Vitor Belfort, both the Nogs have trained under him. I think Jose Aldo has as well in the past. Anderson was more of a kicker and knee-er in his early UFC fights and now he's showing excellent boxing and good head movement. Big Nog's hands were always decent but he's no slick boxer. I've defo noticed his power has improved in recent years though (dropping Randy twice, KOing Schaub and almost KOing Mir).

And let's not forget he's been the main striking coach for Junior Dos Santos who was basically a total novice when Dorea got hold of him. Now he's the champ and, aside from his great takedown defence, the main reason for his success has been his hands. The influence of Dorea on that aspect of JDS' game shouldn't be understated.

Another one who deserves massive credit is Andre Pederneiras;

andre-pederneiras_ma0611.jpg

He runs the Nova Uniao academy which has seen massive success in recent years with Aldo, Barao and Bellator champ Eduardo Dantas (well, Dantas just got sparked but whatever). They've also got the likes of Marlon Sandro, Rony Markes and Gray Maynard has worked with them recently. Pederneiras was also a big part of BJ Penn's BJJ roots after Penn left Ralph Gracie's school. I'm pretty sure Penn was at Nova Uniao when he won the World BJJ Championship as well.

Other MMA coaches worthy of awards;

Firas Zahabi (Tri-Star), Robert Perez (Diaz boxing coach), Rafael Cordeiro (Kings), John Danaher (grappling coach to the stars), Mike Winklejohn (Jacksons), Bob Cook (AKA), Ricardo Liborio (ATT). There's more I'm forgetting. Guys like Greg Jackson, the frontmen of the camps, get a lot of the credit and rightly so in some cases, but these guys are the unsung heroes and a big part of why the skill level in today's MMA is where it's at.

If I was a MMA fighter I would rather train at Nova and Ceasar Gracie than at Jackson's. Looking at that list of trainers there are a lot of decent places to go, more than I expected. It is amazing that Militech and Chute Boxe were the top camps just 6 years ago, now they are both under the radar, Militech was the Jacksons of its day.

Is Xtreme Couture still a force really? I cannot think of many name fighters who train there still, maybe Forrest?

Oh and add me to the people who did not get why people are going mad over that Jones picture, we all know he has been a bible bummer for ages.

Archived