The first ever Monday Night Raw

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Just watched the first ever Raw, for a laugh...whilst it as i remembered look-wise there were several things i just didn't get...

Why was Rob Bartlett on commentary? he clearly had no love for wrestling and basically took the piss throughout the whole show. Vince McMahaon was trying to laugh it off on commentary he had to be annoyed.

What the hell was the 'Mike Tyson' commentating via satellite about?

Why the hell did they advertise a Woody Allen vs. Mia Farrow Cage Match for the following week :confused:

woody-allen-mia-farrow.jpg

Max fucking Moon!!!!

MAX_MOON.jpg

haha, i love wrestling nostalgia and all but what the hell was it all about? was the it the WWF's attempt at doing some cutting edge comedy?

• Paid Members

I hated when Vince would drop the pop-culture references into the early Raws, such as the Woody Allen divorce there. Always seemed desperate.

"Did you see <name of popular 90s show> ? ... WOW!"

• Paid Members

it's some tacky shit.

I'm pretty sure Moon almost melted some kids on this show as well. When he does his 'fireworks out of the hands' deal, he raises his one arm and fires, then when he raises his other arm nothing happens, he lowered his arm the firework goes off and fires straight into the floor next to the fans...nothing was said and it happened during a wide-shot but it could have been a bad situation.

• Paid Members

I thought 1993 WWF was great.

You had stars like Mr Perfect still hanging around, and Bret Hart lighting the main event scene with some solid matches. The tiny arena thing was a new concept, but became commonplace for all the tv tapings around a year later when even WWF Superstars were taped in glorified leisure centres.

I'll tell you one thing, nothing on there was as weird as Little Jimmy and stuff of that ilk that we get on Raw these days.

Rob Bartlett was an annoying cunt though.

• Paid Members
I hated when Vince would drop the pop-culture references into the early Raws, such as the Woody Allen divorce there. Always seemed desperate.

"Did you see <name of popular 90s show> ? ... WOW!"

On Droz's debut Michael Cole says "Droz can vomit at will, he reminds me of Stan from South Park" in the most confused, disjointed, reading-it-off-a-piece-of-paper voice I've ever head. I'm pretty sure Cole had no idea what South Park was at the time.

• Paid Members

WWF has never really made any good pop culture references since about 1987 though. Vince used to be fucking awful for his random celebrity comments on early Raw episodes. I remember he did one about Jimmy Carter's daughters dog or something else obscure.

The best one is Cornette on commentary in 1998 referring to Dustin Runnels new Christianity gimmick, stating that Dustin Runnels has a direct line to Charlton Heston, referring to Charlton Heston in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) a film that so many of the 18-25 demographic that the Attitude era was aimed at would clearly be unfamiliar with in 1998.

Am I right in thinking much of the pop culture references were done as a late, late insert in order to make taped shows feel more "live"? For example, if a particular celebrity was in the news for something like a bit of prossie-shagging or drugs, they would mention the celebrity rather than the story. This kept them out of hot water concerning the story, but looked as though fingers were on pulses because of who they were talking about.

Archived