What did HBK say on Twitter the other night that was offensive?

Perfect Hitman

• Moderators
So being born again not only makes you religious, it also turns you straight, makes you homophobic and puts your views on society back 50 years!

That would seem to be the case in a lot of instances, yes.

In conclusion... I <3 RELIGION!

First of all, No. You're wrong.

Second of all, please don't confuse bigots who use religion as an excuse with people with honest faith. There's a substantial difference.

Why do you get to define "honest faith"? As far as I'm concerned you're all people who shape your world view by your interpretation of a the same text, so that's the common ground. ON the whole I'd prefer to judge people on a person by person basis. However, generalisations are useful and in the context of some discussions you need to be talking about particular groups of people and the distinction you're making doesn't help. For example, if I'm talking about backwards views, homophobia and bigotry there is a big correlation between those characteristics and large groups of people practising your particular organised religion. Those are the groups I'm talking about, and the generailsation is not unfair.

Basically, I'm taking that assumption as implied for the purposes of having a useful discussion and not wasting my time with a million caveats. It's a common language problem more than anything else.

Yeah. This is way derailing....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so is this bad because he's a celebrity saying it?

I have a mate who fake tans every week, and i call him a homo. Its just a piss take, nothing serious. Is there any difference from calling someone a homo to calling someone an idiot?

Yes., with what you've just said you've proven yourself an idiot. I don't know about your sexuality, nor do I care, but I defaintely know you're an idiot. See the difference?

calling me a homo wouldn't bother me, because i'm not homosexual. You actually offend me more by calling me an idiot

I fail to see what you aren't understanding about all of this. HBK used the word "homo" as an insult which can easily offend people who don't think someone being a homosexual is a bad thing and shouldn't be used ever as an insult. Let alone used in such a demeaningly casual fashion.

Obviously not everyone is going to be offended by this, but you have to accept and understand that in the modern world they're going to be people who are.

By your logic if someone called you a cunt you wouldn't be offended because you're not actually a vagina.

Or if someone called you the N word, a word starting with P which is used as a derogatory word towards asians, or say something like a spastic. Thus continuing the circle of discrimination and making it ok for anybody else to use those terms as it's only a bit of "banter with your mates".

• Moderators
Or if someone called you the N word, a word starting with P which is used as a derogatory word towards asians, or say something like a spastic. Thus continuing the circle of discrimination and making it ok for anybody else to use those terms as it's only a bit of "banter with your mates".

:omg: I can't believe you said that. I think you meant to say "the S word used as dergatory towards mentally disabled people". Shit, son- watch yourself.

:omg: I can't believe you said that. I think you meant to say "the S word used as dergatory towards mentally disabled people". Shit, son- watch yourself.

So much for sensible, thought provoking discussion!

calling me a homo wouldn't bother me, because i'm not homosexual. You actually offend me more by calling me an idiot.

You do realise that by that logic you're presumably more offended because you are actually an idiot?

calling me a homo wouldn't bother me, because i'm not homosexual. You actually offend me more by calling me an idiot.

You do realise that by that logic you're presumably more offended because you are actually an idiot?

I am genuinely laughing out loud at that being pointed out. An absolutely brilliant exclamation point on the fact he is behaving like an ignorant idiot in this thread!

• Paid Members
So being born again not only makes you religious, it also turns you straight, makes you homophobic and puts your views on society back 50 years!

99 times out of 100 yes.

Ignorant and wrong.

• Paid Members

Yes it does. It doesn't, however, encourage homophobia, suggest homosexuality is worse than any other sin (including lying, drinking to excess, sex before marriage etc). It also says that faith in Jesus saves. Basically what I'm trying to say is, any evangelical Christian who says to an atheist "stop being gay or you'll go to hell!" is wrong. There are people who say that, but it's far from "99 times out of 100" is farcical.

I appreciate what I'm saying may not be massively clear, so please PM me if I'm not making sense.

I'm going to go hug a gay man just to prove you all wrong.

Duke, I think David's issue was with the zealots, of which you clearly aren't one.

After re-reading his reply to my original quote it sounds as though he may have thought I was calling him a religious zealot, which I wasn't. I was referring to Michaels. I didn't even know that Duke was religious.

Archived