Legendary Dara Singh Passes Away

BigJag

• Paid Members

Legendary Indian Wrestler(Palwhan) Dara Singh Passed away early this morning. He was 83 and died from complications related to a recent heart attack.

The dropkick was his signature move.

He was inducted into the Wrestling Observer Hall Of Fame in 1996.

I remember watching a Bollywood film starring him where he wrestled someone else who was dressed in a Gorilla suit. I remember it being a very technical match.

He also played Hanuman in the Hindu epic Ramayan series. Ramayan used to be on BBC 2 on Saturday afternoons.

In the 1960s he successfully transferred to Bollywood and was a leading man in hundreds of films. His last film was in 2007.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Dara_Singh

Was known as a humble man, had a huge smile, and a heart of gold!

Rest in peace.

My dad never understood mine or my siblings fascination with wrestling, but when we where kids, any time he would catch us watching it we would get a lecture about Dara Singh

• Paid Members
RIP

I remember watching a Bollywood film starring him where he wrestled someone else who was dressed in a Gorilla suit. I remember it being a very technical match.

Quote of the day! :rolleyes:

If I track it down, I'll try and post the vid. It was quite surreal.

• Paid Members
Ramayan used to be on BBC 2 on Saturday afternoons.

What was he on? I thought World of Sport was an ITV thing.

Ramayan was a drama series based on the hindu epic of the same name. It tells the stories of the Hindu gods. It wasn't a wrestling show.

Dara_Singh_Wrestling_Poster.jpg

Singh, who was born in Punjab on 19 November 1928, trained in the Indian 'Pehlwani' wrestling style and fought in more than 500 professional bouts all over the world and never lost a single contest. He was intensely proud of being Commonwealth champion, of beating world famous wrestlers such as Stanislaus Zbyszko and of defeating Lou Thesz of America to win the World Wrestling Championship in 1968.

He found fame throughout India as Bollywood's 'first action hero', with a film and television career that spanned over half a century.

He suffered a heart attack and died at his Mumbai home this morning and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said of the actor, who had also served in India's parliament from 2003-2009:

Archived