The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Yeah, I agree. I think Cruz will use his inexperience against him to frustrate him into only going for big shots, which will make it easier for Cruz.

Totally understand the desire to strike whilst the iron is hot - and hence why they've booked it. I just feel he has a better chance of beating Cruz with a bit more experience under his belt. Fight week will be great fun though - neither of them are shy when it comes to saying what they think.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Some of the hardcores that still bother with it's diminished effectiveness, probably, but it's pretty much a relic in 2016. Other than the UFC getting some telly money out of it, the program serves little purpose really. It's been a long time since it's made any real stars and I'm not sure it does much of a job hyping the coaching rivalry outside of the people that are probably buy most of the PPVs anyway.

The fights have been great this year but it's ran it's course, years ago in fact.

I wouldn't mind an early Bellator rip off show 13 week tournament, midweek held in a small building like the palms in Vegas or something, with winner getting money and a top ten guy/girl just not 2 tournaments a year.

MMA Junkie saying it's not true and they plan on doing some "All Stars" edition to be filmed in January, it would all depend on the cast but half the guys I would want to see are either insane, dead or retired. I don't want to see Diego Sanchez take anymore punishment but I guess if they cast it right it could be good but Bellator has most of those names anyway.

• Paid Members

MMAFighting are reporting the UFC have released Bigfoot Silva.

Had to be done. I have a feeling the damage is already done with Silva after them knockouts but hopefully not. Won't help that he will continue fighting but it's his choice. 

He basically as 0% punch resistance.

Little late night birdie tells me that WME plans on getting rid of The Ultimate Fighter, possibly after this season.

Would anyone be bothered if it gets cancelled at this time?

Meh. Not really. I watch it because it's on, not because it's must-see TV.

They should streamline it and put it on once a year or something, giving the winner a title shot. Like a reality TV version of Rocky. They could even draft in that shady promoter to call each contestant into his office for a pep talk before the show starts.

MILES-header-use.jpg

So, the Cruz vs. Garbrandt news is interesting. I first saw it this morning on the UFC on FOX Facebook page, and I assumed that they are basically run by the UFC, but in the article they discuss the bantamweight title fight as if it's already been announced.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-207-ronda-rousey-dominick-cruz-best-fight-cards-of-the-year-102116

I mean, Dana White all but confirmed it by playing coy when DC and Florian asked him about it on UFC Tonight last week, but there's been no real official announcement and it's not on the UFC site. Guessing someone at FOX accidentally let the cat out of the bag on that one.

Anyway, I love the fight. Garbrandt's the most interesting contender at 135 and it makes sense to strike while the iron's hot like Chunk said. Better to do it now before Garbrandt suffers a momentum-killing loss, and if he does lose to Cruz, it's easily chalked up to inexperience and he'll get a chance after some more seasoning. Actually, Garbrandt potentially losing to Cruz would be somewhat reminiscent of Cruz's loss to Faber years back.

Also, the news about TUF getting canned is the best MMA news I've heard since they announced the UFC 205 main event. TUF has been horribly stale for years. I liked the Smashes because of the attachment to my country's fighters, and they've tried hard in the last couple of years with the strawweights, the flyweight champions and chucking the likes of Conor and Brock on the show, but the reality show format has been run into the ground. Actually, I wouldn't be against the idea of UFC conducting a tournament every year or so, without the reality show component.

Archived