The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

David hasn't said that though Chunk. All he's said is he finds it hard seeing this as a championship fight given the level of the fighters involved.

I personally agree with him. Since Feb 2013, Henderson has won 3 and lost 7! Henderson has been shot for a long time and the fight was in reality a money fight so to speak. The fight was made to fill a gap and there was a story there.

Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's as David says, hard seeing that as a championship level fight in the way we are normally used to be seeing. 

Henderson shouldn't have been anywhere near the title considering the man he beat was coming up from welterweight after a loss, and it was a booking of coincidence and availability.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

David hasn't said that though Chunk. All he's said is he finds it hard seeing this as a championship fight given the level of the fighters involved.

I personally agree with him. Since Feb 2013, Henderson has won 3 and lost 7! Henderson has been shot for a long time and the fight was in reality a money fight so to speak. The fight was made to fill a gap and there was a story there.

Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's as David says, hard seeing that as championship level fight in the way we are normally used to be seeing. 

Henderson shouldn't have been anywhere near the title considering the man he beat was coming up from Welterweight after a loss, and it was a booking of coincidence and availability.

I get what you're saying and I partially agree. I 'spose I just have to temper that with the fact that if it's the hardest available fight for the champion at the given time, then it's worthy of being called a championship fight.

• Paid Members

I get what you're saying and I partially agree. I 'spose I just have to temper that with the fact that if it's the hardest available fight for the champion at the given time, then it's worthy of being called a championship fight.

I would argue that's not even true considering the man who fought on the same night in the co-main. Gegard Mousasi battered Henderson when he returned to middleweight January last year so the fact he was booked on the same card means he was available.

This was a fight made to sell tickets with the story that was already there, and again, I've got no problem with it. 

• Paid Members

I would argue that's not even true considering the man who fought on the same night in the co-main. Gegard Mousasi battered Henderson when he returned to middleweight January last year so the fact he was booked on the same card means he was available.

This was a fight made to sell tickets with the story that was already there, and again, I've got no problem with it. 

Fair point. As a concept, I stick by my post, but it's a fair point you make about this instance.

C'mon Dave, we've been through this one before. The Hendo fight is purely a matter of circumstance.

When the event was being booked: Bisping had just KO'ed Rockhold, Jacare was having surgery, Weidman himself said he didn't think he'd be fit for the MSG show the month after and Romero was still suspended.

I'm not saying the Hendo fight isn't the only one they could make, I'm just saying that I find it hard to look at it as a genuine world title fight is all.

To make it a real sport what should they do then? Keep the champion rested until the real number 1 contender is available?

No, they could go down the rankings until the next available fighter is found, make it as legit as possible. 

Belfort was ranked top 5 for some reason, so they could have given him the shot. That fight has a history, doesn't it? TRT, PED's, that headkick and all that.

It's way more legit than Henderson in my opinion. I know Bisping wanted the Henderson fight, but as a champion he should have a responsibility to face the highest ranked contender. 

• Paid Members

If they gave the shot to Belfort though, people would be moaning because he'd be getting a title shot coming off getting crushed by Jacare.

The situation was a mess. You had your top four challengers - Rockhold, Jacare, Weidman and Romero - out of the picture for the time being, be it through injury or suspension. Rockhold and Weidman were coming off stoppage losses anyway. Belfort was coming off the loss to Jacare. All you really had left was either Hendo or Mousasi. Mousasi would've been the more 'legit' contender, especially as he stopped Hendo in about a minute not that long ago. But with Hendo's history with Bisping, Hendo's dramatic knockout of Lombard plus the fact Bisping badly wanted the Hendo rematch, then add in the Hendo retirement thing. The Hendo fight was just the way to go.

It doesn't fucking matter anyway in the end. We'll get to see Bisping defend against a 'proper' challenger next anyway. The way I look at it is, the top contenders wouldn't have been ready to go for UFC 204 anyway, so this was just a bonus while we wait.

If they gave the shot to Belfort though, people would be moaning because he'd be getting a title shot coming off getting crushed by Jacare.

The situation was a mess. You had your top four challengers - Rockhold, Jacare, Weidman and Romero - out of the picture for the time being, be it through injury or suspension. Rockhold and Weidman were coming off stoppage losses anyway. Belfort was coming off the loss to Jacare. All you really had left was either Hendo or Mousasi. Mousasi would've been the more 'legit' contender, especially as he stopped Hendo in about a minute not that long ago. But with Hendo's history with Bisping, Hendo's dramatic knockout of Lombard plus the fact Bisping badly wanted the Hendo rematch, then add in the Hendo retirement thing. The Hendo fight was just the way to go.

It doesn't fucking matter anyway in the end. We'll get to see Bisping defend against a 'proper' challenger next anyway. The way I look at it is, the top contenders wouldn't have been ready to go for UFC 204 anyway, so this was just a bonus while we wait.

Thinking about it, the rematch with Belfort would have been more exciting than the rematch with Hendo. I wish I'd have thought about that a few weeks ago! I could have moaned like fuck about it here!

Think he still has UFC fights on his contract, the guys been doing it 20 years, probably best the Young Dinosaur retires.

I don't understand the backlash Ronda is getting, while if she was champion and wrecked Holm, she probably has a fight this year but firstly she couldn't spar for several months then went and filmed the Road House remake. She is 6-1 against the top 15 in her weight class, no one cared when Weidman or Cain were both booked in immediate rematches after title loses, granted they pulled out but still. Ronda is ranked second behind Tate & Amanda Nunes on their rankings, she was also averaging 3 title fights a year all doing big businesses, that's more than almost all the former/current champions have been doing in that time (Connor fights a lot but in other weight classes)

In news no one will care about Marlon Moroaes who has been dominating the WSOF Bantamweights for several years. the UFC & Bellator showed zero interest in trying to match his purse that's about $25,000 maybe a bit higher, so he's staying there. That and Aljamain Sterling being a free agent and Bellator didn't even bid, shows a lot about both promotions not really caring about the Bantamweights, outside a handful of fighters.

• Paid Members

In news no one will care about Marlon Moroaes who has been dominating the WSOF Bantamweights for several years. the UFC & Bellator showed zero interest in trying to match his purse that's about $25,000 maybe a bit higher, so he's staying there. That and Aljamain Sterling being a free agent and Bellator didn't even bid, shows a lot about both promotions not really caring about the Bantamweights, outside a handful of fighters.

apparently the WSOF take pretty good care of their champions, i would love to see Moraes move to the UFC though.

Archived