The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I'm getting a sense though that Gall is deliberately playing the villain. He wouldn't have gone after the clean-cut, all-American, babyfaced boy unless he knew he'd be playing the bad 'un. I'm aware this might be giving him too much credit, but so far he's come across as a canny customer who knows how the game's played.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

IDK, I think the fight being at 170 makes it far more intriguing, as I think skill-wise Sage is superior, but who knows what Sage you get fighting 170. It's a fight with so many questions going in, which is always good.

Fair play to Sage for having the nuts to step up. I really despised the abuse he got after the Barberena submission and love when Sage shuts up all the bitter fat lads by winning with a big set of swinging nuts resting below his unblemished cock. Particularly because Sage seems like a genuinely nice fella, for a guy that kicks faces off for a living.

Carbomb is right too. Gall even pointed out during the call out he's a piece of garbage compared to clean cut Sage. The boy done good.

IDK, I think the fight being at 170 makes it far more intriguing, as I think skill-wise Sage is superior, but who knows what Sage you get fighting 170. It's a fight with so many questions going in, which is always good.

Fair play to Sage for having the nuts to step up. I really despised the abuse he got after the Barberena submission and love when Sage shuts up all the bitter fat lads by winning with a big set of swinging nuts resting below his unblemished cock. Particularly because Sage seems like a genuinely nice fella, for a guy that kicks faces off for a living.

Carbomb is right too. Gall even pointed out during the call out he's a piece of garbage compared to clean cut Sage. The boy done good.

Thing is, a little bit of looking beneath the surface of the All-American Northcutt family suggests that shit isn't quite as clean-cut as it appears.

Fuck sake, David. You have to ruin everything!

Out of interest, what sort of sordid behaviour? Did he curse at an old lady once?

His old man was arrested years back with 25 kilos of coke on him, and later turned police informant on his former business partner to save his own ass from jailtime. He's also been busted for selling steroids from what I've read.

Throw in the rumblings that he's been interfering with Sage's training and you have a recipe for disaster. I always found it kind of weird that Sage has a few coaches and his dad in his corner. His father isn't an MMA coach, he's a former roided-up cokehead and has no real business getting involved.

Read what world kickboxing champion Ilya Grad has to say about working with him, then read his dads rebuttal. I know who's side of the story I believe.

• Paid Members

Ta.

I've read some of the stories about his Dad being too involved with the training, but had no idea it was still going on. Anyway, his Dad being a bit of a maverick shouldn't be used to knock Sage. As far as I know, he played no part in the Narcos subplot.

Ta.

I've read some of the stories about his Dad being too involved with the training, but had no idea it was still going on. Anyway, his Dad being a bit of a maverick shouldn't be used to knock Sage. As far as I know, he played no part in the Narcos subplot.

I'm not knocking him, I'm saying that there's more to the clean-cut All-American family than meets the eye. His old man strikes me as one of those overbearing parents who thinks he knows best.

I reckon Super Sage will end up doing time because he's knifed him to death in a few years.

• Paid Members

Sage Northcutt Vs Mickey Gall is signed, it goes down at UFC on Fox 22

What weight are they fighting at? I thought Sage was 155lb fighter and Gall a 170lb fighter?

It's at 170llbs which pisses me off. As you say, Northcutt is a 155llb fighter and personally thought it was chicken shit move from Gall going after a guy who fights in a lighter weight class.

Makes sense from a profile perspective but that's about it.

Id hardly say its a chicken shit move, its a smart move. Northcutt is one of biggest named prospects in the company, Gall used his own moment in the spotlight to make his next move, regardless he's hardly called out a can, on paper Northcutt should be a massive betting favorite, regardless of size.

More fighters need to be like Mickey Gall.

• Paid Members

Being clever yes, but it's without doubt a chicken shit move simply because he's picking the smaller guy. I don't begrudge it though.

Like I said in my original post, it's good in that it will raise his profile, but that's the only redeeming factor for me.

Being a betting favourite is irrelevant too Egg. If he is its only by record.

Northcutt is smaller, not massively, but he is smaller and fights in a lighter division for a reason.

His one time competing at 170llbs produced the worst performance of his career. Before that he had only fought at catchweights of 165llbs and lower.

• Paid Members

He was hospitalised the night before he fought, remember. I don't think you should write him off at the weight just yet. Most of his pre UFC fights were at 165, as a teenager. It stands to reason that as he gets older and grows into his body (I know he's already shredded) that 170 will be a good weight class for him.

• Paid Members

You've got to remember as well that Gall is only 3-0. And that one of those wins was over a 37 year old broken down pro wrestler. Not even knocking Gall. He's a baby in MMA. He shouldn't be fighting killers at this point. But regardless of Northcutt being a 155er and whatever small size advantage Gall will hold, Northcutt is still a big step up from the guys Gall's been fighting so far. This is his first proper fight really.

He's done a good job so far. If he beats Sage then he's already going to have made a fairly biggish name for himself as just a 4-0 rookie. Couldn't really ask for a much better start to his career. Whether he sinks or swims after that remains to be seen, he's got a long career ahead of him, but he's putting himself in a nice position with these fights.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post, just read on Bloody Elbow that Ronda Rousey has been offered a title shot against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 on Dec 30th.

I'm as big a Rousey fan as there is but she doesn't deserve it. Gets outclassed and knocked cold by Holm, sits out a year and comes back to a title shot? I get why they're doing it, obviously, but still. Saying that, the division's in a shambles at the moment anyway with all the contenders pretty much eliminating each other. Fuck it.

Hard fight for Ronda to come back to though. IF she even accepts the offer, that is. I've seen nothing to suggest that her heart is in a comeback right now.

If she does come back though, what an end to 2016 it could be. 205 at MSG with Alvarez vs McGregor and the strongest undercard ever. 206 in Toronto possibly with GSP's return. Then 207 with Rousey coming back to challenge Nunes. Three monster shows in a row.

• Paid Members

We live in a world where Bisping v Henderson for the middleweight title is a fight and McGregor can go a year without defending his featherweight title. Both of which I don't have a problem with, so I would be foolish to have a go at the UFC for giving one of their biggest draws ever and former monster champion a shot on their return.

I can see why they'd give her the title shot right away. One, it's a more tempting fight to come back to and, two, who knows what Rousey you get on the comeback, rather her get exposed while fighting the champion than some contender.

I'm as big a Rousey fan as there is but she doesn't deserve it. Gets outclassed and knocked cold by Holm, sits out a year and comes back to a title shot? 

In the past the UFC would at least pretend there was some sort of meritocracy-style system at play, but those days are long gone now. Even I stopped expecting it donkeys ago.

The UFC is what it is, which is basically pro wrestling with real punches. It's a spectacle these days, not a sport. Even Dana has stopped with all the bullshit chat about it being a sport to rival legitimate sports such as football.

I don't even really bother with who has the belts anymore. I just take each card as it comes, watch the fights that I've got some interest in, and move on.

Archived