The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

From what I can gather, there seems to be a mystery surrounding the whole thing. There was another guy found dead on the scene and the rumours suggested Heroin. However his mother has come out saying no traces of the drug were found in his system, and no foul play was involved. The fact both guys died is certainly bizarre. 

It may not be true, but when I heard about the circumstances I immediately thought it may be carbon monoxide poisoning. 

RIP Josh Samman. Decent enough fighter, but nice bloke from what I've read.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cormier vs. Rumble 2 announced for UFC 206 in Toronto. Noticeably not referred to as the main event by the UFC. Makes me think there's a very god chance GSP will be headlining. Maybe they'll finally do the fight with Anderson Silva? Or a Bisping title fight, if he wins on Saturday?

• Paid Members

Cormier vs. Rumble 2 announced for UFC 206 in Toronto. Noticeably not referred to as the main event by the UFC. Makes me think there's a very god chance GSP will be headlining. Maybe they'll finally do the fight with Anderson Silva? Or a Bisping title fight, if he wins on Saturday?

If GSP is to return, it really is interesting to see who they go with for the fight. You would have to think that if Bisping comes through the fight then he's favourite for the spot. Does the Silva fight still interest anyone? Personally I think the guy has become a bit of an embarrassment since failing the drug tests. 

The only other options after that are Nick Diaz and maybe Robbie Lawler? Perhaps Lawler withdrawing from 205 was a smoke screen for a potential GSP fight?

• Paid Members

I always hoped that GSP would drop to 155lbs and fight Mcgregor, or even face him at a catch weight of maybe 165lbs or something.

I think this will definitely happen sometime down the line. From a frame size, GSP is a bit like Nate Diaz, too big for lightweight and not big enough for welterweight, especially compared to today's monsters at 170llbs. That said, I think because he's so good, he can still beat most of them.

He's certainly bigger in terms of mass than Mcgregor, but not massively so. I think a catchweight at 165llbs as you say could happen sometime the back end of next year. 

• Paid Members

McGregor v GSP is the fight, like. Probably be a pain in the tuchus for them to pull it off, though, seeing as GSP and McGregor know what they're worth to the company.

I don't think size is an issue too. They're both similar-ish in height, even if GSP is more yoked.

Anyway, Bisping is being clever enough to constantly bring up GSP whenever he gets the chance. I think he mentioned GSP on three different occasions when he was answering questions after his open workout. If he remains healthy after the weekend, then he's surely in with a shout. Christ, imagine if Bisping rounds off the year with beating GSP in Canada!

• Paid Members

If GSP is to return, it really is interesting to see who they go with for the fight. You would have to think that if Bisping comes through the fight then he's favourite for the spot. Does the Silva fight still interest anyone? Personally I think the guy has become a bit of an embarrassment since failing the drug tests. 

The only other options after that are Nick Diaz and maybe Robbie Lawler? Perhaps Lawler withdrawing from 205 was a smoke screen for a potential GSP fight?

That was my thinking. Has there even been any word why Lawler was pulled from the Cowboy fight at 205? I assumed he must be injured but I don't think there was ever an injury confirmed or a reason given for him being pulled, was there?

I think GSP headlining the Toronto show is a given. It's not an 'if' he comes back anymore, it's a 'when' for sure. He's made no secret of it himself and even strongly suggested that the timing is very convenient for him to be on that Toronto PPV. He entered the four month USADA testing thing in August, that'll be done in time for 206 in December. It's perfect timing.

It's an interesting time. There's so many options now for GSP to fight. From Lawler to Anderson to Nick to Nate to McGregor to Bisping. He'd pretty much run out of appealing opponents when he left in 2013. Now he's almost spoiled for choice. Not to mention he could potentially challenge the Woodley vs Wonderboy winner in the first quarter of 2017. Either way that's a fascinating matchup.

• Paid Members

Sage Northcutt Vs Mickey Gall is signed, it goes down at UFC on Fox 22

I'll be the first to say that Gall smokes Northcutt with minimum trouble.

Yeah, fully agree. Despite his record & opponents, you can tell Gall is a beast from seeing how he moves & trains. He's not a gimmick.

There's also been some pretty telling chat coming from guys like Mike Brown that Gall is the real deal. In fact, Brown said he was really surprised the UFC put him in there with Punk, as he's "not you're average 2-0 guy" apparently.

He's also since said that Gall hammers Northcutt in his opinion. Best of it is, Gall's not even a member of Mike Brown's team!

That was my thinking. Has there even been any word why Lawler was pulled from the Cowboy fight at 205? I assumed he must be injured but I don't think there was ever an injury confirmed or a reason given for him being pulled, was there

He said he wanted to give his head more time to heal after the Woodley KO, as when he got back into training he didn't feel right.

As much as I'd love to watch Lawler fight any day of the week (and twice on Sundays), for the sake of longevity it's definitely the right call after how much damage he's taken especially in the past few fights. Apparently before the Woodley fight, he had been training like a nutter and sparring all the time - a far cry from the stories of him rarely sparring.

• Paid Members

Sage Northcutt Vs Mickey Gall is signed, it goes down at UFC on Fox 22

What weight are they fighting at? I thought Sage was 155lb fighter and Gall a 170lb fighter?

It's at 170llbs which pisses me off. As you say, Northcutt is a 155llb fighter and personally thought it was chicken shit move from Gall going after a guy who fights in a lighter weight class. 

Makes sense from a profile perspective but that's about it.

Archived