Effective Blade jobs

kamicazze

HHH sells blood as well as anyone IMO.

Aye, makes it look as though he's just about to pass out from blood loss. Although watching the Backlash 2006 3-way the other day, maybe he was - it was everywhere.

Didn't we have this thread just a few months ago? I can vaguely remember posting some links and talking about the Starrcade '90 streetfight with someone.

I love it when Tripper blades, immediately throws his hair back in typical "swish" Vidal Sassoon style and then blubbers and spits with pouted lips. Superb!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it must be noted that Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair and Steve Austin were three of the worst at doing blade jobs. With no regard for where a TV camera was, they would openly cut themselves not even attempting to hide the blade or the cutting action. There is deffinatly a skill to doing it correctly, and these three guys didn't have it.

it must be noted that Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair and Steve Austin were three of the worst at doing blade jobs. With no regard for where a TV camera was, they would openly cut themselves not even attempting to hide the blade or the cutting action. There is deffinatly a skill to doing it correctly, and these three guys didn't have it.

To be fair though how many times did Steve Austin really bleed? Theres WM13 when Bret did it for him and KOTR 98 when it was gimmicked anyway

And besides with Michaels, look at HIAC vs Taker - the only way you can see him blade is in super slomo

Austin always seemed to bleed with no actual visible cut... i once remember a match with undertaker in which the cameras were right infront of him and he reached under the ring, and grabbed some fake blood and splashed it all over him in full view of the cameras and ringside fans. it was ridiculous.

And with Michaels, thats one time he did it correctly then, but 9 times out of 10 he did it in full view, and did it badly too, did it too much from a small impact. (example - survivor series 2003)

Austin always seemed to bleed with no actual visible cut... i once remember a match with undertaker in which the cameras were right infront of him and he reached under the ring, and grabbed some fake blood and splashed it all over him in full view of the cameras and ringside fans. it was ridiculous.

Anyone else remember this? Youtube link?

I've always remembered Rock as a guy who didn't bleed that often. The only blood I can remember was in a cage in April 2000 on RAW. Bossman, Big Bull, X-Pac, HHH, Roaddogg, Test, Albert, Vince and Shane gave him a right caning.

He bled about as much as anyone else (bar Foley, I suppose) from the era. But I don't ever recall him having any iconic "he's busted open" moments the way Austin, Foley, HHH, Michaels etc did. Whenever Rock did it, it just seemed like it's the attitude era and he did it because everyone else did, but it never particularly helped what he was doing. The most important one I remember him doing was in the ladder match with Triple H, before either of them were main eventers. I think that was where Lawler did the "you see your own blood in a fight and it does something to you" line.

I've always remembered Rock as a guy who didn't bleed that often. The only blood I can remember was in a cage in April 2000 on RAW. Bossman, Big Bull, X-Pac, HHH, Roaddogg, Test, Albert, Vince and Shane gave him a right caning.

He bled about as much as anyone else (bar Foley, I suppose) from the era. But I don't ever recall him having any iconic "he's busted open" moments the way Austin, Foley, HHH, Michaels etc did. Whenever Rock did it, it just seemed like it's the attitude era and he did it because everyone else did, but it never particularly helped what he was doing. The most important one I remember him doing was in the ladder match with Triple H, before either of them were main eventers. I think that was where Lawler did the "you see your own blood in a fight and it does something to you" line.

the rock had a pretty big cut job at the Hell In A Cell match he was in ...

Can't say I remember Michaels juicing particularly overtly. In fact, I seem to remember him blading in mid-air in the past on his way into a turnbuckle...it was only slowing the DVD down that it was possible to work out when he did it.

Austin reached under the ring at Fully Loaded in 1999, I had the VHS of this show and they forgot to edit that gaff out, looked so amateurish.

Can't say I remember Michaels juicing particularly overtly. In fact, I seem to remember him blading in mid-air in the past on his way into a turnbuckle...it was only slowing the DVD down that it was possible to work out when he did it.

um.....just said that heh

• Paid Members

Austin may have been a tad blatant with his blading sometimes but i adore Austin donning the crimson mask. I don't know what exactly it is but it just often looked so iconic and awesome. There's a few guys who just look utterly badass with a face full of blood actually but, Austin was one of the best. My favourite probably being the aforementioned KOTR '98 one. Integral to the story and i just loved everything about it, the spot that causes Austin to be busted and the story behind that spot and the events it spawned. And it just looked quality too, there's the brilliant moment when Hebnar comes to and calls for the bell after seeing Austins blood. Austin face and reaction are just brilliant but it's made a thousand-million times better as there's a great, great shot caught of that reaction with big flashes going off with fans snapping away that was used a whole bunch of times in a load of video packages. Tremendous visual and certainly effective,.

Guys who are terrible at being subtle with their blading...back when Orton was a bit shit he had a couple of terrible instances, one in a Chamber, where he gets slingshotted into the chains and hangs there digging away at his head for about the same amount of time it's takes Jack Swagger to pull down a briefcase, in direct view of the hard camera. It was just ridiculous. I may be remembering the other instance incorrectly but i think he did it again in the Rated RKO vs DX match where Trips does his leg in again. It was a stunning blade job in that it was just absolutely pissing out of his bonce but i think i recall him getting bashed with a chair then standing there hacking away a big chunk out of his head.

Also, Earl fucking Hebnar. Yeah, he didn't blade himself but he may as well have shouted 'HEY, ANYONE SEE WHERE THAT BLADE WENT, I'M LOOKING FOR A BLADE, DO YOU SEE IT? OH, THERE IT IS. I'M GOING TO PICK IT UP AND PUT IN MY POCKET NOW. BLADE IS SAFELY IN MY POCKET, FRET NOT FOLKS!' WMX7 is actually a right shambles with the blading and Earl picking it up, i'm sure he falls over the steps looking for it, then cuts himself on it when he picks it up. I feel like such a dickhead wrestling fan noticing that shit, in one of the finest main events there is but it's right bloody there to see and once you see it you can't help but always notice it when you watch it. Hebner is such a bell.

• Paid Members

Here we are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrHFdFAMcYM. I remember watching this at the time and thinking how blatantly obvious that was.

Cracking match though, not watched it in forever.

Here we are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrHFdFAMcYM. I remember watching this at the time and thinking how blatantly obvious that was.Cracking match though, not watched it in forever.
He blades very obviously on the ring apron, then throws the blade under the ring. He's not splashing blood on himself!You're right that it's hugely obvious, but to be honest the director shouldn't have cut to that shot, or should have cut away immediately when he noticed. There was plenty of other action going on.Once of the worst ever was Hogan against Michaels. He slices himself from ear to ear right in front of the camera. Nasty.

• Paid Members

You're right that it's hugely obvious, but to be honest the director shouldn't have cut to that shot, or should have cut away immediately when he noticed. There was plenty of other action going on.

It always annoys me when someone is getting the blade out there wrist tape or something and the cam stays on them or even zooms in. The other wrestler normally walk's away from him and does some gesture or something to get the attention from the crowd, most do this but for some reason the director never does a zoom in shot of the guy not doing the blade job. A wrestler can only do so much to hide it away from the fans and tv its up to whoever is running the show to cut away while the act is being performed.

Archived