Effective Blade jobs

kamicazze

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Austin vs Bret as mentioned above is the obvious one, but next obvious to me and one nobody has brought up yet is

Heatwave 2000 Jerry Lynn VS Steve Corino Lynn writes DIE with Corinos blood

This was good, but I think Corino's blood in his match with Tajiri around this time was more effective.

Sticking with ECW, Pitbull 2's blood in his match with Shane Douglas from Dr Is In really added drama. That really is an instance of where blood made a very good match out of almost nothing.

I was a fan of the blade job HHH pulled at WMXX. There is a cracking shot just after he has pulled off a move, he is on the offensive compared to his two opponents who are flat out, but he's on his knees puffing for air badly with blood streaming down his face and it really sells the jeopardy he's in and what a state he's in from fighting off the two challengers. Really helps you believe he might just be fucked when he ends up in the Crossface.

4.jpg

HHH sells blood as well as anyone IMO.

The one that leaps into my mind as I posted it recently is Hogan v Lesnar. The sight of a bloodied Hogan passing out, with Lesnar smearing his blood over his chest, pretty much cemented Lesnar as a top tier wrestler for me.

I was a fan of the blade job HHH pulled at WMXX. There is a cracking shot just after he has pulled off a move, he is on the offensive compared to his two opponents who are flat out, but he's on his knees puffing for air badly with blood streaming down his face and it really sells the jeopardy he's in and what a state he's in from fighting off the two challengers. Really helps you believe he might just be fucked when he ends up in the Crossface.

4.jpg

The one that leaps into my mind as I posted it recently is Hogan v Lesnar. The sight of a bloodied Hogan passing out, with Lesnar smearing his blood over his chest, pretty much cemented Lesnar as a top tier wrestler for me.

reading through these i was about to post this and realised you had beat me to it. The smearing of the blood was quite iconinc

• Paid Members
Undertaker vs. Mr.McMahon - Survivor Series 2003

That's the first one that sprang to mind. The blood was pouring out of Vince's head from the first few minutes of the match right up until the end. I remember one spot in particular where Vince was crotched against the ring post and you could see the blood just pooling around his head. The shovel shot looked and sounded like it killed him too.

I never understood the point of that blade job, because didn't it come directly after Shawn Michaels pulled an epic juice-job in an 8 man tag?

• Paid Members
probably common knowledge but the guys in the back thought that the blood was hardway (when it was in fact a blade job) in that match, Flair bladed later in the night and got punished for doing so but Bret-Piper got away with it. Well that whats Bret said in his shoot interview anyways.

Also all the arena staff and every wrestler who has ever lived came up to Bret after the match and told him he was their hero and the greatest man that ever lived. Well that's what Bret said in his book anyways. About every single match he ever had.

Bret's generally full of shit then?

• Paid Members
Can anyone think of a Rock match that would've really been harmed by lack of blood loss? He bled loads, but I don't remember any instances where it was vital.

I've always remembered Rock as a guy who didn't bleed that often. The only blood I can remember was in a cage in April 2000 on RAW. Bossman, Big Bull, X-Pac, HHH, Roaddogg, Test, Albert, Vince and Shane gave him a right caning.

• Paid Members

The only blade jobs I can remember Rock doing are the night after Wrestlemania 2000 as brownie mentioned, a small one at Armageddon 2000 in the 6 man Hell In A Cell and one the night after Wrestlemania 17. Strangely the one the night after Wrestlemania 17 was after he got a beatdown from Austin & Triple H at the end of a cage match with the Champion which was exactly the same thing as they did one year before.

Triple H did a great crimson mask in his Last Man Standing match against Jericho.

Aye, makes it look as though he's just about to pass out from blood loss. Although watching the Backlash 2006 3-way the other day, maybe he was - it was everywhere.

Didn't we have this thread just a few months ago? I can vaguely remember posting some links and talking about the Starrcade '90 streetfight with someone.

Archived