WWE Super Smackdown Live - Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

Smackdown 10th April 2012  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That was terrible, the crowd were just silent for everything except for The Big Show and a bit for Randy Orton. Oh well, I see what all the fuss is about Ryback now at least. I wasn't really bothered last week, but that clothesline was great. I'm not too sure about the leotard though. I had to laugh when Tony Atlas forgot his name as well, he said something along the lines of "A good old fashioned Squash Match! I'll put money on, on.... on the young guy...".

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think it was the worst ever! but it was quite medicore. I thought Piper's Pit was fantastic, the last few Piper's Pit have been very good indeed and this made Bryan look great in terms of his character. Looking forward to 2/3 falls. Ryback's squash did the job and the Sandow promo was good again (despite putting his twitter name up and then having him rubbish it, but i'm sure they can explain that). Liked the Kane/Orton stuff and him taking about Bob was a good way to use a legend and further the story.

Rest was pretty meh but ultimately harmless, although I thought Sheamus looked like a loser saying sorry once let alone twice, his character shouldn't be one that apologises for giving a ref a kicking.

One of the issues I have with these Blast From The Past shows is that people really don't care about the 'legends' they showcase. It's a classic case of WWE simply not knowing what their audience wants in terms of that type of thing.

It's 2012 and Blast From the Past stuff should be guys from the Attitude Era like Al Snow, Gangrel, New Age Outlaws, Rikishi, Steve Blackman, Ken Shamrock etc. Instead, the same guys - like Sgt Slaughter - who were being used as 'Blasts From The Past' in 2002 are being used now, and they can do less and less. It's Diminishing Marginal Returns running wild. As much as I like him, we've already had Duggan on twice this year. Sgt Slaughter offers nothing anymore and Roddy Piper is hardly an exciting prospect either.

Who has ever cared - from a nostalgia point of view - about Tony Atlas, Bob Orton or Pat Patterson? What is the point of bringing in guys like Hillbilly Jim and just having him standing around looking completely out of character? If he's going to be of any value he needs to be in his overalls and coming out to Don't Go Messin With a Country Boy. What's the point of Ted Dibiase playing a nice happy religious guy who doesn't ever do anything? Nobody can relate to that.

And why do they think the classic WWF audience care about Arn Anderson (I know he wasn't on tonight but the amount of fawning that goes on around him is ridiculous) or even Dusty Rhodes that much compared to wrestling personalities who they actually watched for more than a year in the late 80s or early 90s.

A Super Smackdown, that was not.

They just never seem like they're putting in any effort with SD. Piper's Pit was the best part of the show, though even one it wasn't on the level of the last few he's had. Glad they're doing the Sheamus rematch vs Bryan at Extreme Rules and hopefully this time they put on the sort of match I was looking forward to at Mania. Other than that, the only part of the show that was really worth watching was Kane's attack on Cowboy Bob and his hillariously cheesy one liners.

I thought it was a pretty dire show in all but I actually laughed out loud at Kane's "I'm a sucker for family reunions" line. It was just so shit and surreal, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was wholly inappropriate but it's the most entertaining Kane has been since his return save for his alright showing at WrestleMania.

Daniel Bryan is great. He was pretty much the saving grace of the show. I'm also somewhat interested in Ryback. He does have a top look and seems intense. He's like a mix of Goldberg and Lesnar. I hope it can go somewhere because Skip Sheffield seems pretty keen on this whole wrestling lark.

I think Tony Atlas was saying he'd put his money on Camer.(the young guy) not Ryback.

I enjoyed Smackdown for what it was.

Daniel Bryan and AJ is such great stuff. "It's all my fault, there must be some way I can make it up to you". I think Aj is great. Hot and plays her role brilliantly is it me or unlike alot of divas does she just seem to get it

Thought Jimmy Hart looked good would actually like to see him manage the OMRB Heath Slater, of course it would be a fairly minor role(small doses)

Mick Foley was awful noticed he wasn't in the ring for the last segment he should've been too embarassed to come out after that performance.

Looking back at past Extreme Rules events, this years looks great just with the two matches Cena/Lesnar and Bryan/Shaemus 2/3 falls.

I normally watch Smackdown with a mate the next night, but stayed up for the live "Special" one last night. Such a pack of shit that I've edited it down to about 25 minutes so we can just watch that tonight instead. Couldn't face the possibility of watching the whole bloody thing again.

It's hard to believe it's the same company putting together the Brock/Cena segments and then this f'n waste of time.

One of the issues I have with these Blast From The Past shows is that people really don't care about the 'legends' they showcase. It's a classic case of WWE simply not knowing what their audience wants in terms of that type of thing.

It's 2012 and Blast From the Past stuff should be guys from the Attitude Era like Al Snow, Gangrel, New Age Outlaws, Rikishi, Steve Blackman, Ken Shamrock etc. Instead, the same guys - like Sgt Slaughter - who were being used as 'Blasts From The Past' in 2002 are being used now, and they can do less and less. It's Diminishing Marginal Returns running wild. As much as I like him, we've already had Duggan on twice this year. Sgt Slaughter offers nothing anymore and Roddy Piper is hardly an exciting prospect either.

Who has ever cared - from a nostalgia point of view - about Tony Atlas, Bob Orton or Pat Patterson? What is the point of bringing in guys like Hillbilly Jim and just having him standing around looking completely out of character? If he's going to be of any value he needs to be in his overalls and coming out to Don't Go Messin With a Country Boy. What's the point of Ted Dibiase playing a nice happy religious guy who doesn't ever do anything? Nobody can relate to that.

And why do they think the classic WWF audience care about Arn Anderson (I know he wasn't on tonight but the amount of fawning that goes on around him is ridiculous) or even Dusty Rhodes that much compared to wrestling personalities who they actually watched for more than a year in the late 80s or early 90s.

I think this is a really good point. Back when they did the Wrestlemania Gimmick Battle Royal, these sorts of names were fun (Slaughter, Sheiky, and so on). But that was a LONG time ago. I know I'd pop a lot more for Steve Blackman or Scotty Too Hotty than for Duggan.

Or even a Boogeyman or an MVP or someone. I know they're not "Legends", but generally old faces get more beloved with the passing of years.

Daniel Bryan and AJ is such great stuff. "It's all my fault, there must be some way I can make it up to you". I think Aj is great. Hot and plays her role brilliantly is it me or unlike alot of divas does she just seem to get it

That's what happens when they actually bother to hire a female who, heaven forbid, is actually a WRESTLING FAN, as opposed to a catalogue model, actress etc.

I watched season three of NXT within the last month, and it is clear that she is a huge wrestling fan, has been all her life, spent time on the indies and her dream was just to be in the WWE. She is obviously going to 'get it', certainly far more so than a bunch of women who Lauriniatis hired just because they look good in a bikini.

Archived