WWE Super Smackdown Live - Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

Smackdown 10th April 2012  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thankfully, I fell asleep during the opening segment and missed the entire show. Downloading it meant I got to skip some of the bollocks.

The Piper's Pit was good fun, Bryan was again the MVP on the show. Chuffed they're giving us Bryan v Sheamus and not Del Rio v Sheamus - it will be a cracking match too. Sadly, the Vitiligo Warrior will probably lose out to the most boring champion in wrestling. I'm not liking Sheamus one bit, everything that comes out of his mouth seems forced and he comes across a bit wet. Fella needs all the help he can get at the minute. Compare this shower to what Lesnar is bringing on Raw and it really smacks how hokey some of the roster are. I'm now praying at night that Lesnar gets the chance to smack some of them about, he's a proper bloke.

This Ryback push is all I ever wanted, thankfully it's all going so well. He even brought back his MASSIVE lariat. Well chuffed. "FEED ME MORE!". Ryback v Henry, please. Speaking of Henry, he seems to be back on form and back to getting booked like a tank, hallelujah.

It was nice when Cole/Vince totally buried Foley again. His current 'run' is awful.

Heath Slater needs a bra.

RYBACK'S. FUCKING. LARIAT.

Jesus wept. That boy is still picking up pieces of his arse from ringside. Just excellent.

Thing is, I know wrestling is fake. I'm fine with it. But, what I like is for everyone to look like they're actually trying to kill their opponent and that they look capable and willing to do it. The introduction of FUCKING RYBACK and BROCK FUCKING LESNAR has increased my enjoyment of wrestling a million fold.

On a more upsetting note, Sheamus is bloody shit. Just awful. Anyone who thinks that CM Punk is the worst babyface in the professional wrestling needs to watch this moist cock at work. He's no Steve Austin. He's not even as hard as Steve Claridge (first 'Steve' I could think of). Seriously, who on this earth thought it would be a good idea to have come out, balls-in-purse, and apologise whole heartedly to the referees and the WWE universe because he took out one stinking referee. That was a slow night for Stone Cold. AND THEN...AND FUCKING THEN the weedy, slimey authority figure comes out and humiliates the prick, demanding Sheamus repeats the whole sordid affair. AND HE FUCKING DOES. The muppet. Seriously, a wry smile on the third apology does not count as rebellion. This was just awful. Just awful.

Oh, AND FUCKING THEN the smiley, grinning, stupid twat of a prick admits that he's probably not going to win the main event but he'll buy Gene 'I look a bit like a walnut with delusions of grandeur' Okerlund a pint of ale. Fuck off.

I know it's a handicap match. I know that Gene Okerlund is probably going to have to change his TENA pads mid-match. But, don't ever, as world champion smile and admit you're going to have your arse kicked.

It's okay, though, because Daniel Bryan has got a purpose again. YES! YES! YES!

I don't agree that Piper's Pit was good, though. It was a bit naff. Bryan was a bit excellent because he's a wonderful prick but Roddy came across like a lower rent Jeremy Kyle. It was rubbish. It's a bit weird, though, that directly after Wrestlemania Sheamus and ADR slipped into their own programme and somewhat ignored D-Bry, but now D-Bry has a title match at the PPV despite ADR winning the right to the title match last week.

If the title doesn't go back onto D-Bry, I riot.

Also, don't ever tease me with a Dusty promo and don't deliver. He was just getting going player. I want to know what happened with the bear...the grizzly bear.

Oh, and my favourite line of the show goes to Booker T with the ridiculously sinister '...Hey Cole, I had a dream you died...'

• Paid Members

"A good 'ol squash match!" Says Atlas. I'm digging the Ryback stuff though, Great intensity and tons of aggression, beats the pants off what Albert is doing. I hope they give him a ridiculous win/no loss streak ala Goldberg. That clothesline was nasty.

ryback-kills-a-man-o.gif

The Piper segment bored me to death.

One of the issues I have with these Blast From The Past shows is that people really don't care about the 'legends' they showcase. It's a classic case of WWE simply not knowing what their audience wants in terms of that type of thing.

It's 2012 and Blast From the Past stuff should be guys from the Attitude Era like Al Snow, Gangrel, New Age Outlaws, Rikishi, Steve Blackman, Ken Shamrock etc. Instead, the same guys - like Sgt Slaughter - who were being used as 'Blasts From The Past' in 2002 are being used now, and they can do less and less. It's Diminishing Marginal Returns running wild. As much as I like him, we've already had Duggan on twice this year. Sgt Slaughter offers nothing anymore and Roddy Piper is hardly an exciting prospect either.

Who has ever cared - from a nostalgia point of view - about Tony Atlas, Bob Orton or Pat Patterson? What is the point of bringing in guys like Hillbilly Jim and just having him standing around looking completely out of character? If he's going to be of any value he needs to be in his overalls and coming out to Don't Go Messin With a Country Boy. What's the point of Ted Dibiase playing a nice happy religious guy who doesn't ever do anything? Nobody can relate to that.

And why do they think the classic WWF audience care about Arn Anderson (I know he wasn't on tonight but the amount of fawning that goes on around him is ridiculous) or even Dusty Rhodes that much compared to wrestling personalities who they actually watched for more than a year in the late 80s or early 90s.

I think this is a really good point. Back when they did the Wrestlemania Gimmick Battle Royal, these sorts of names were fun (Slaughter, Sheiky, and so on). But that was a LONG time ago. I know I'd pop a lot more for Steve Blackman or Scotty Too Hotty than for Duggan.

Or even a Boogeyman or an MVP or someone. I know they're not "Legends", but generally old faces get more beloved with the passing of years.

I know it was a while back now, but that Battle Royale they did on the 15th anniversary of Raw was the sort of thing I want. Surely bringing back a load of jobbers and midcarders from the late 90s-early 2000s makes a hell of a lot more sense than the likes of Slaughter, Dusty and Duggan coming out for the 60 billionth getting zero reaction and cutting an awkward promo that nobody gives a shit about.

They need to realise who their audience are. The kids don't give a flying fuck about anybody other than Cena, Undertaker and Hornswoggle, and the chaps in their 20s would probably much rather see Val Venis, Scotty 2 Hotty and the Outlaws than the likes of Mean Gene and Mae Young AGAIN.

Piper should have been in that main event instead of Gene, who should have just done an interview on stage, or guest commentated on a match at best. Love him, but there's no need to put him even in a really gimmicky tag match. The show mostly sucked, save for Piper's Pit, Ryback and Damien Sandow to an extent, although his bit wasn't as good as last week. Mick Foley was awful, I kinda hope that he's being shit on purpose so it looks like he's really bringing the goods when he fueds with Dean Ambrose, but I get the feeling he's just too far gone these days. Hope I'm wrong.

I just didn't really understand a lot of the show.

Sheamus apologising for harming a ref? Fuck off. Steve Austin stunned referees in his sleep and loved every second of it. What a fucking pussy.

The Piper/Bryan segment was a little off too. Didn't quite go in the direction I expected them to, and I hope they don't mess up his momentum with anything stupid.

The Piper's Pit was the best part of the show,which isn't saying much I know.AJ was fantastic last night as was Bryan.He looks like he's having the time of his life out there.It's a pity the crowd was pretty lifeless for the majority of the show.

Ryback looked fantastic in his squash match.That clothesline was something else.

Kane's "family reunion" line was a belter as was Booker T's line about "old chicken making the best soup",that had me in stiches.

Other than that ther really wasn't a whole lot to enjoy on the show.The majority of the matches were a waste of time and most of the Legends look like they should be euthanized for their own good.

I think i'm still on a high from the fantastic episode of Raw because i'm really not that bothered that this show was a waste of two hours of my life.

• Paid Members

It's too easy to rip a new arsehole, so i won't.

The AJ, Bryan and Piper seg was pretty good, longer than any of the actual matches granted, but Bryan is bloody great at playing the 'full of himself twat', he's brilliant. Piper has always had the gift of the gab and tied it together really well, and WOW, AJ plays the part very well, she doesn't over dramatise it, nor does she seem out of place.

She looks the part and is naturally fit, and isn't tarted in a fuck load of war paint or muscles. As mentioned, a wrestling fan too... bonus.

It's the first time i have seen the Uso's in yonks although i have read a lot of negativity about them. I personally think they look brill and really enjoyed their entrance, look and hope they eventually get to make their mark.

I also think Jimmy Hart was the best part of the legends craic. I would love to see him come back and manage a tag team involving Heath and someone else (not thought through) but it could work.

Anyway, i'll stop at that.

Daniel Bryan and AJ is such great stuff. "It's all my fault, there must be some way I can make it up to you". I think Aj is great. Hot and plays her role brilliantly is it me or unlike alot of divas does she just seem to get it

That's what happens when they actually bother to hire a female who, heaven forbid, is actually a WRESTLING FAN, as opposed to a catalogue model, actress etc.

I watched season three of NXT within the last month, and it is clear that she is a huge wrestling fan, has been all her life, spent time on the indies and her dream was just to be in the WWE. She is obviously going to 'get it', certainly far more so than a bunch of women who Lauriniatis hired just because they look good in a bikini.

Spot on! I've always liked AJ, I wanted her to win NXT as it is so obvious she is a wrestling fan and has been since being a kid. It showed pictures of her when she was a kid posing with a wrestling belt and at a WWF event and had her telling a story of going to the event and saying who her favourite wrestlers were.

If it was a model who got into wrestling based on looks and had never been interested in wrestling I bet this angle would come off looking a bit silly as they'd probably be awful acting and try to do it in an over the top soap opera kind of way, but she is a decent actress and doesn't do anything over the top, unless it needs to be, ie when she is supposed to be desperate to get Bryan to take her back. But she can do very subtle things, just by her body language and the way she looks at Bryan.

I think she is one of the most attractive women on the roster right now too and the fact she is a wrestling fan and has been since being a kid and she's got interests in things such as videogames, graphic novels and is just basically someone who seems so down to earth and not all diva-like on her twitter account, like most of the other divas do, makes her much more likable. I think she's a good wrestler too and will obviously put more effort into bettering herself than the other models who are there just to further their careers and earn a good paycheck.

• Paid Members

Well, aren't you all just a bunch of negative nancys? :)]

I didn't think the show was nearly as bad as many of you are making out on here. There's more good to come out of the show than you might think.

But first, something I totally agree on- The Ryback love. Trust me, if they keep booking this guy strongly, we could well have the next Goldberg on our hands. Seriously, he's just an absolute machine, the likes we haven't seen since Brock in his first run. The lariat and super muscle buster type move could get seriously over in time. The stronger they book him, the more epic it'll be when he starts taking on the likes of the main eventers. And if they keep booking him strong THEN, he could become a bankable World Champion. Great name, great presence, slightly bondage-like ring attire but otherwise I love him.

Agree with most of the love for Piper's Pit as well. I know there was a picture of the crowd a few pages ago that wasn't totally flattering, but I thought Piper did a tremendous job pulling the strings here. Watch it back and listen to the crowd, he draws massive sympathy for AJ, and even some boos for the Bryan slap. Speaking of Bryan, he's brilliant. Totally, utterly brilliant. A born heel. Great segment this, which will actually do wonders for both Bryan and AJ.

One of the issues I have with these Blast From The Past shows is that people really don't care about the 'legends' they showcase. It's a classic case of WWE simply not knowing what their audience wants in terms of that type of thing.

It's 2012 and Blast From the Past stuff should be guys from the Attitude Era like Al Snow, Gangrel, New Age Outlaws, Rikishi, Steve Blackman, Ken Shamrock etc. Instead, the same guys - like Sgt Slaughter - who were being used as 'Blasts From The Past' in 2002 are being used now, and they can do less and less. It's Diminishing Marginal Returns running wild. As much as I like him, we've already had Duggan on twice this year. Sgt Slaughter offers nothing anymore and Roddy Piper is hardly an exciting prospect either.

Who has ever cared - from a nostalgia point of view - about Tony Atlas, Bob Orton or Pat Patterson? What is the point of bringing in guys like Hillbilly Jim and just having him standing around looking completely out of character? If he's going to be of any value he needs to be in his overalls and coming out to Don't Go Messin With a Country Boy. What's the point of Ted Dibiase playing a nice happy religious guy who doesn't ever do anything? Nobody can relate to that.

And why do they think the classic WWF audience care about Arn Anderson (I know he wasn't on tonight but the amount of fawning that goes on around him is ridiculous) or even Dusty Rhodes that much compared to wrestling personalities who they actually watched for more than a year in the late 80s or early 90s.

Agree in principal, but what I will say is that Mean Gene, Piper, Duggan, Sarge, Jimmy Hart and Foley all got half-decent pops if you watch it back. It's not like they were silent or don't appreciate them. I totally agree that the likes of Gangrel, Blackman etc would be awesome to see, but there's also going to be a portion of the audience who remember guys like them and will be happy to see them. Remember, it's a family show and all that.

I thought Sheamus came across better this week. A bit hokey, but I liked how he wanted to buy Mean Gene a pint. The referee stuff could actually be a good thing, it'll automatically add something to his matches if they play up to it right. It could give them an air of unpredictability, what should happen if he does accidentally clobber a ref again? The heels he faces should play up to it too. Sheamus is in a tough spot, but I think he's a talented guy, is over, and if they just allow him to show a little more of his personality then I think he'll be fine.

Orton and Henry were having a decent match until the Kane stuff. Worst thing about that segment? Bob's glasses and hat were so neatly placed next to him, and he looked like he'd fallen asleep on a sun lounger rather than having just been attacked by a psycho. I'm not sure what's going on with Orton, but he needs to get back into the main event loop a.s.a.p. He's consistently having good matches against all types of different opponents, is over huge with the crowds, and should still be a reasonably bankable commodity for them.

I think they should bring back Jimmy Hart permanently and have him manage Slater, they could be a fun duo.

Archived