Over The Edge 1999

humanracer

Should it have continued after Owen's death? I think not. My main argument is that the children in the crowd had seen something horrible happen and it would have been wrong to force them to sit through the remainder of the show. Part of me sadly feels the WWE only kept it going because there was a title change in the main event. Still they could have had that happen at KOTR instead and had the "end of an era" first blood match at Summerslam.

Should it have continued after Owen's death? I think not. My main argument is that the children in the crowd had seen something horrible happen and it would have been wrong to force them to sit through the remainder of the show. Part of me sadly feels the WWE only kept it going because there was a title change in the main event. Still they could have had that happen at KOTR instead and had the "end of an era" first blood match at Summerslam.

Didn't know they locked the doors after it happened, anyone upset was free to leave. Bit of a random topic to bring up on wrestlemania eve though

I think it was more damned if they do damed if they don't sort of thing if they had of ended it right there and then you know some ppl would of complained about buying a ticket or the PPV and got getting the entire event no matter what the reason for ending it was.

Plus they had only seconds or minutes at best to think about what to do

• Paid Members

The thing missing in all of this story is the Harts and Owen's widow asked for WWF not to show footage of the funeral on Raw the following week, but to cover their arse in the face of a media backlash they did anyway. The major issue wasnt about the show continuing. It was the behavour of WWF after the incident that caused the bitterness that followed.

At least Bruce got work out of it:

222370_102851213134863_100002299541224_23902_3865741_n.jpg

I think it was more damned if they do damed if they don't sort of thing

I agree with this loose / loose scenario. They would have probably had to re schedule and re do the PPV had they called it off, which would have been quite traumatic for the wrestlers and indeed all the staff involved in putting the event together, as I

• Paid Members

If they had filmed Owen's fall RIGHT ON CAMERA the show would have been stopped, definately.

JR and Lawler must have needed some heavy duty councilling after seeing Owen fall right in front of them.

Alright, fuck it. It's Wrestlemania sunday, let's get some truths up in here.

I really really want to see Owen's fall and it narks me that in these days of such wondrous technology probably the only footage of it is in some safety desposit box in Titan Tower. 2 or 3 years later than when it happened, and you'd have camera phones and everything for it.

I really really want to see Owen's fall and it narks me that in these days of such wondrous technology probably the only footage of it is in some safety desposit box in Titan Tower. 2 or 3 years later than when it happened, and you'd have camera phones and everything for it.

I did read years ago there was some footage of it out there there as some fan had a video camera with them or something I never looked myself as I never wanted to see it so don't know if it was real or not.

• Paid Members

I did read years ago there was some footage of it out there there as some fan had a video camera with them or something I never looked myself as I never wanted to see it so don't know if it was real or not.

Yeah, I remember some right mugs sending me clips going OMG OWEN FALL!!!~ and it was a clip of Vic Grimes smashing a table with his arse.

Any decent human being would of cancelled the show, refunded the ticket sales, and done the title change on Raw a week later after the Owen tribute.

Way easier said than done.

Considering everything happened so quick, it would of been impossible to look into the consequences of cancelling. This wasn't some house show... This was a major ppv event being shown in several countries, and the headache involved and legal ramifications of just ending the event would of been considerable.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. So you may as well take the damned option that doesn't result in several broken contracts.

Besides, let's give wwe some credit. I doubt they gave a flying fick if the title changed on this ppv or on a raw a few weeks later. They continued the show and the planned title change happened as a result. They don't do anything wrong.

In fact wwe have never profited from the ppv after the event. It was never released and the over the edge ppv name was dropped. They handled it as well as possible.

I think it was just a spur of the moment decision like some have said on here and it was more a let's just finish this for the fans who paid their money for it as they obviously don't know what has happened and they don't know Owen has died. If they announced Owen's death and cancelled the show there would just have been total confusement as to whether it was some sort of sick storyline and when the show was cancelled I'd imagine some fans would create an uproar about it as some people can be right assholes and only think about themselves. Then there would be the box office channels who would be showing the event, if they cut off halfway through they'd be getting grief too. I reckon it was a quick decision but they must have had a think about it and in the short time the problems with cancelling the show would have been pretty difficult. I think the fact that it has never been released is enough and shows they weren't bothered about the money side of things with that event, they could have released it on dvd or vhs and with the controversy surrounding the event I'd imagine it would have sold loads of copies as fans who hadn't seen it would have been curious to see the event.

Really I can understand why people want to see the fall as I think it's a dark curiosity on their part but for me it would be far too upsetting to see the moment when he fell to his death, just imagining what was going through his head in that short amount of time between the roof and the floor, knowing that he would probably not survive it. I think it's a good thing that no fancam footage has surfaced of that moment, it's bad enough seeing the pictures of him taken from quite far out as he is in the ring but imagine his family knowing that the moment he fell to his death is on YouTube or some video site online. If I had been recording something and managed to catch a moment like that on my phone or whatever I would probably delete it so that it would never surface and be there for all to see, I'd imagine WWE would have deleted the footage of the fall too if they'd caught it on camera as there is nothing good that can come out of having that, other than using it as evidence in the court case but that seems to be over with now, the only reason I'd imagine they would keep it is if any other courtcase popped up.

Archived