I DEMAND VENGEANCE! ....Actually, fuck it

King Pitcos

Zack Ryder seems to be in a storyline with Eve now, and Kane's busy with Orton, so it looks like Ryder vs Kane isn't happening. Which makes me curious about what people think of stuff like that, when a babyface gets wronged and never goes for vengeance. Any examples of it that come to mind, and whether you think it's damaging or irrelevant. It seems to happen a lot with more disposable lower-card talents, but Nexus burying Undertaker and nothing coming of it was an odd one.

One of the most notorious is that time when Triple H destroyed young~ cruiserweights~ Paul London and Brian Kendrick for no reason whatsoever in a hilarious display.

The thing that made Kofi Kingston's brief rise to power memorable was how it bucked the trend. Orton threw him off the stage in a huff, and it seemed like standard fare, a midcarder sacrificed for a main eventer's angle. Kofi himself had been in one of those earlier that year, when Edge battered him and took his Elimination Chamber spot. I forget if Kofi had any kind of attempt at revenge there, but if he did, it was one squash match loss. Anyway, that night with Orton, looked like standard fare. And then Kofi went and fought back, and it made him relevant and a rising star for a bit.

I think in theory, it makes a babyface look weak for not pursuing the issue when they've been wronged. But does it matter? Does it make a difference?

• Paid Members

The one that would spring immediately to mind is Triple h destroying Test & Stephanie's relationship and Vince McMahon being the one to take Trips on at the PPV. Any potential test had to be a top/just below top babyface ended right there.

Triple H was mega-guilty of this in the dark ages, 02-04ish. Not just in the high-profile angles with RVD, Booker, Kane et al. The likes of Hurricane, Buh Buh Ray and other nobodies were constantly wronged, given a sliver of a backbone in a promo, then pedigreed and beaten clean as a sheet as a so-called payoff to the whole thing.

Silly one this probably, but I remember waiting for Bret to definitively beat Lawler in 93, which never ended up coming until 95 when they re-lit the feud for another go around.

This used to be one of those pet peeves to me actually, I don't like seeing a face getting so little comeuppance or even a match/angle to deal with some shit the heel has fed him. TNA was an absolute cunt for years with this sort of thing. Nowadays, I'm a lot more chilled out about my enjoyment of wrestling, so I can let it go, but if I were a Ryder fan I'd be pretty fucking narked how clear the pussyfart burial job on him has been.

I know this flips the script of what you're trying to say, but I loathed the unwarranted stunners Austin used to give out to anybody that dared to get TV time with him around 03/04. Nobody ever got their revenge there either.

• Moderators

CM Punk never getting anything on Kevin Nash last year was hysterically funny I felt.

I suppose the Dusty Rhodes vs Ted DiBiase was one where Dusty never got his comeback, but he was leaving at the end of the feud so it made sense that he didn't. Test should have at least got to hand out some comeuppance to HHH though, instead of two weeks or so after the wedding wrestling Big Boss Man for the hardcore title in a total afterthought as the the focus of the feud became HHH vs Vince.

Dean Malenko should have got the real decisive victory against Chris Jericho as well when he took off the Ciclope mask and won the cruiserweight title and it ended there. Instead they reverse the decision and Jericho wins the rematch at the Great American Bash by DQ and Malenko loses the feud ending match on a pissing DQ on an episode of Nitro about a couple of months after it. It was still an awesome feud other than that small grievance though, so I can let that go.

I know this flips the script of what you're trying to say, but I loathed the unwarranted stunners Austin used to give out to anybody that dared to get TV time with him around 03/04. Nobody ever got their revenge there either.

Yeah but it did give us

I know who's my babyface there. An awesome burial by the master of them.

Punk never getting a PPV match with Orton after Orton punted him and made him unable to defend the World Title. I remember a random lumberjack match on Raw a few weeks/months later but that was it. (2 years later doesn't count)

The Austin one did have a bit of a pay-off, didn't it?

It did?

When Jericho (and other heels?) petitioned against him for being violent and then they had the Survivor Series match and he got sacked.

Oh yeah!

For about a week or however long it was.

Oh yeah.

Further to the insulting lack of attention to the stipulation in this case, he came back as a free-of-the-rules Sheriff with a fucking quad bike and a plastic badge. Basically, he ended up being rewarded for being such a cunt, and his prize was the opportunity to be an even bigger cunt.

The Punk/Nash one represents my more relaxing view on things these days. I just found that one funny. Although it was Nash. And Punk. So maybe it all playing out in favour of guys I like is fine too.

• Paid Members

Punk and Orton's fued last year does count as revenge, because Punk said he was biding his time for the time to strike Orton when he least expected it to.

The HHH/Test one was the worst. The worst part was Test asking for, as his wedding present from Vince, a match against Triple H and in that match Triple H powerbombed him through the announce table!

• Paid Members

RVD took a bad one of these not long after being drafted to Smackdown in 2004. The main event on one of the shows leading up to Judgment Day was the Dudleys against RVD and someone (Rey, I think.) The match ends and the Dudleys start delivering a beatdown on the faces. Eddie Guerrero comes down with a chair to make the save, attacks/chases away the Dudleys, then *boom* smacks RVD with a chair, show goes off the air. Planting seeds for a future Eddie/RVD match, right? Wrong! RVD says and does nothing, and even teams with him a couple of weeks later, like a bitch.

I'm far from being an RVD fan, but given how piss weak Smackdown's roster was at the time, killing him dead like that was pointless. Awful booking. Can you imagine the outcry if it was HHH swinging the chair?

• Paid Members

Thing with Ryder is, he was booked where he wanted no part in Kane. He was shitting himself when Kane popped up every now and again. We were told Ryder was a pussy. Thats life, I'm afraid. He wants no part of Kane. He's a bloke asking fans on twitter if he should take Eve back, after Eve embarrassed him on live TV and laughed in his cripped face. Who can ever get behind this man? This man is the worst kind of idiot.

Thing with Ryder is, he was booked where he wanted no part in Kane. He was shitting himself when Kane popped up every now and again. We were told Ryder was a pussy. Thats life, I'm afraid. He wants no part of Kane. He's a bloke asking fans on twitter if he should take Eve back, after Eve embarrassed him on live TV and laughed in his cripped face. Who can ever get behind this man? This man is the worst kind of idiot.

Quite. He basically has the full house in terms of his character getting dismantled. Loses his belt, has his dream crushed, gets beat up by bigger blokes (and shows visible fear whilst it happens), loses his dream bird to his best mate, has his best mate condemn his dream bird as a massive slag anyway, gets crippled, comes back and finally stands up to somebody (even if it is the girl), then she dangles the carrot and he's back with his nob hanging out. Who can possibly get behind that? Aside from the odd injury, he's basically a real life John Morrison.

I bet Vince is pissing himself at killing the internet wet dream once again. Moreover, I bet Zack would be the type to get fired then indy his balls off to "win another chance" with WWE, rather than go to TNA and do their generic "They didn't know how to use talent up north" spiel we haven't heard in a few years.

Archived