Raw 05/03/2012 - Pre/Post Discussion

hbknhhh

• Paid Members
(unless they're seriously considering HHH vs HBK down the line?)

Shawn's been asking for a Pedigree for a while now, from his "you can't win" stuff last year to his cheekyness the last couple of weeks. I get the feeling Trips is going to give him one in the build to WM, "If I'm willing to do this to my best friend, just think what I'll do to you, Taker!"

It's already been done to death, and it won't happen, but I'd be well up for HHH vs HBK again. Do it at Summerslam, a decade on from the first. You could even get round Shawn's retirement by mimicking the build for the first. "I made a promise to Undertaker I wouldn't come out of retirement for an official wrestling match, but an unsanctioned steet fight on the other hand.... DUNANANADUNDUNANANA!

Fantasy booking is terrible. It'd be a great match though! Probably sell a good few thousand extra ppv buys as well.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They should never have retired Shawn Michaels. He should always have had that option of coming back every 18 months. Michaels should have lost to the Undertaker and said he was going home and didnt know if he would ever be back (like when he 'lost his smile') or said he doesnt think he had it anymore. Or do something like Austin, where he retired but didnt tell the fans he'd retired. As much as its nice to see him, Michaels isn't a Ric Flair or a Steve Austin or a Hulk Hogan or even someone like the Rock. People want to see Michaels wrestle. Michaels is great on the microphone, but his bread and butter is what he did in the ring. I think WWE and HBK would be forgiven if he came back. People want to see another match from him.

• Paid Members
They should never have retired Shawn Michaels. He should always have had that option of coming back every 18 months. Michaels should have lost to the Undertaker and said he was going home and didnt know if he would ever be back (like when he 'lost his smile') or said he doesnt think he had it anymore. Or do something like Austin, where he retired but didnt tell the fans he'd retired. As much as its nice to see him, Michaels isn't a Ric Flair or a Steve Austin or a Hulk Hogan or even someone like the Rock. People want to see Michaels wrestle. Michaels is great on the microphone, but his bread and butter is what he did in the ring. I think WWE and HBK would be forgiven if he came back. People want to see another match from him.

Personally I'd make it so he needs The Undertaker's blessing to be able to return. He retired him, he gets to say if he can come back or not.

• Paid Members

I was convinced for the past year that we were going to get a triple threat for the streak. It's the perfect story and everything comes full circle (plus all three men can have a breather and don't have to kill each other and spend a year out). Shawn Michaels doesn't seem that arsed with wrestling these days though. He has enough money to last him until he is on the otherside of the dirt, and spends his free time hunting, being a normal Dad and going to church.

JBLs a cock.

It seems to me that Shawn doesn't want it though, not one bit. They could write a million ways for him to come back, but that's irrelevant. Much like how he was all at peace for just being around and doing what he loves when he first came back, he now seems at peace popping up when he feels like it to be ace then leaving again. God and that, isn't it.

Plus, he seems also to really want to be the guy who's retirement stuck. I reckon he sees it as yet another thing he can be the best of all time at. That final bit of competitiveness in him says "outdo everybody else on this one as well".

Michaels is a bit late there. He retired in 1998 and came back. He's already on retirement number 2.

That's a bit more like your Steve Austin example though isn't it? Barring that "last match ever" he had with that bloke in his own little company in front of twelve people, he never explicitly retired after Wrestlemania 14 did he? I still remember the optimism of his Summer 98 return to commentary where we all hoped he was coming back soon and every mystery partner/opponent for three years garnering the HBK noises in the crowd and on teletext.

• Moderators
I'll punch my own mother if we get another HBK v HHH match. It's holds the same draw to me as Orton v Cena. Yuck!

I'll punch your mother if we don't. An HHH vs HBK match in 2012 holds far more potential for fun than the 2003-2004 shitters.

Michaels is a bit late there. He retired in 1998 and came back. He's already on retirement number 2.

That's a bit more like your Steve Austin example though isn't it? Barring that "last match ever" he had with that bloke in his own little company in front of twelve people, he never explicitly retired after Wrestlemania 14 did he? I still remember the optimism of his Summer 98 return to commentary where we all hoped he was coming back soon and every mystery partner/opponent for three years garnering the HBK noises in the crowd and on teletext.

That brings up an interesting point, actually. When was Michaels' first retirement announced? Was it that match he had in his own promotion? Because in 1998 the word was always "he'll be back in six months" or whatever, but by 2002, it seemed accepted by everyone that he was retired.

• Paid Members

He retired in 1999 after back sugery. Raw magazine did an article on it.

Here's an article I've found from an old angelfire website, talking about him maybe announcing his retirement:

Shawn Michaels May Retire

January 11,1999

Shawn Michaels, "The Heartbreak Kid," will be breaking the hearts of wrestling fans everywhere. The World Wrestling Federation superstar has picked what has become the year of the wrestler to turn in his tights. The San Antonio native likely will retire from the ring after he undergoes back surgery next Tuesday.

"It's a matter of looking at the risk vs. rewards ratio. I need to start thinking about the second part of my life," Michaels said from his North San Antonio home Tuesday afternoon. "It's time to say, 'That's a wrap.'"

Last year, Michaels , 33, received a serious back injury after he was tossed through a table during a match against The Undertaker. Doctors told him 14 years of being body-slammed and enduring backbreakers - however choreographed they might have been - virtually destroyed two disks in his lower back.

"It's the most excruciating pain anyone can ever endure," Michaels said.

Doctors from the medical team that treated former New York Jets player Dennis Byrd were among those consulted by Michaels. On Tuesday, San Antonio surgeons will try to fuse Michaels' disks back together. Michaels' doctors could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening. Michaels - who played high school football for the Randolph Ro-Hawks and whose real name is Michael Hickenbottom - said he's going to continue working for the WWF. His primary role will be "commissioner" for the wrestling organization, serving as spokesman and front man as the WWF expands its audience globally. After spending several years toiling in minor wrestling federations, Michaels quickly rose through the ranks in the world where showmanship and charisma are rewarded with fame and fortune - and marked with a championship belt.

"I've accomplished many things in the ring, including reaching the top as a world champion," Michaels said. "If I hadn't won the title, then perhaps I would still be trying to get back in the ring one way or another, but you have to start thinking about your personal life."

Michaels will continue to work with local wrestling legend Jose Lothario on a wrestling school set to open in April and continue his efforts with local charities, he said.

To explain his absence while he recovers from back surgery, Michaels was "pummeled" by WWF wrestlers on "Monday Night Raw," then tossed through a car windshield.

Michaels said he will not be part of Sunday's WWF live telecast "Sunday Night Heat" from the Freeman Coliseum.

Archived