The Ultimate Fighter Season 15: 'Cruz vs Faber' Thread

wandshogun09

A comeback series would be nice, but I don't see that being long term either. They need something completely new.

See, as a TV show TUF is on its last legs.

Its Dana's baby and he loves it for how it helped grow the UFC, but as the seasons have worn on so its importance has increased. The next champions no longer come from TUF, most who win get slotted in on prelims or main card of fight nights. For examples look at Brookins, Danzig, Efrain. Court and Pearson.

The show can only be reinvented so many times, I cannot thing of many new angles you could put on it really. I am amazed it lasted as long as it did, in many ways I hope it does get cancelled by Dana, UFC already have too much programming on the air in my opinion.

As a way of getting or testing fresh talent like TUF used, I believe Strikeforce should be used. This would give the UFC less shows, and quality and star power would be increased on the shows they do. Look at the FX show next week, hardly any stars and a bunch of no-names, Strikeforce should home those sort of shows.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really liked the live fight aspect of it, but I think the concept of finding the new face of the UFC just hasn't worked for the last few seasons.

Here's a thought, we were all quite excited by the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix, until it went on way too long. What if the UFC were to use this live fight format to crown a new number 1 contender for a belt? Or just for a bag of cash and a Harley. 11 weeks of fights, then the final on a PPV a month after. Something to shake things up a bit, introduce existing unknown UFC fighters to the mainstream public in the US.

Or just for a bag of cash and a Harley. 11 weeks of fights, then the final on a PPV a month after. Something to shake things up a bit, introduce existing unknown UFC fighters to the mainstream public in the US.

This is not a bad idea, it would have to be a divison in limbo though, like maybe 170lbs. You could have Kos, Fitch, Sanchez, Hardy and others do it. If Dana put down a millon for the winner, it could work, as estiblished fighters would not fight for the peanuts that TUFers usually do.

• Paid Members

I really like that idea. It's kind of Pride Grand Prix'ish which who knows if they'll want to go down that route, but it could serve as some interest to breathe some life into a few divisions. It also kind of creates a new goal aside from winning a world title, if you do it as a tournament champion as opposed to crowning a number one contender.

• Paid Members

Add me to the supporters for 4chords' idea.

I've been pretty quiet in this thread because there's been so much MMA to watch this kinda fell down my list of priorities for MMA watching for me. I've been watching but by the time I watch an episode everyone here's said what I would have said so no need to post.

Like people have said it's not been one of the best seasons of TUF. The fights have been good but I think it's important that in future they find more of a balance between the fights and the house stuff. The fights should always be the focus but the show's always also been about personalities and some guys off the early seasons built fan bases from that which they still keep today. I think this season kind of lost a bit of that.

I will say though that I'm really pleased with the final. Chiesa's been the underdog since episode 1, losing his dad and everything and being expected to lose most of the fights he had on the show. It's nice to see him reach the finals. And Iaquinta's looked really good on the show, I like what I've seen of him. Should make for a good final, I'd favor Al slightly but you can't count out someone with heart like Chiesa.

Schilling/Holloway's a weird little main card fight here, both guys are coming off debut losses so to find themselves on the main card is a big bonus to them guys. I liked the look of Holloway against Poirier though, entergetic little fucker.

Agreed with that, I think Holloway could go on to be really good. He looked great against Poirier and really gave him a tough time on the feet. He's got a good lanky frame for 145 too. And he's still only 20 so he's got a ton of potential.

• Paid Members

ellenberger_kampmann_staredown_large.jpg

This fucker has sneaked up on us, i keep forgetting that this fight is actually happening tonight. Could be an absolute classic, i'll pick Kampmann down the stretch, possibly ending it in 4 or 5. Winner of this possibly position's themselves for first crack at Condit/GSP.

• Paid Members
Yeah, Live or taped, it's still the same same show overall. The live shows do add a bit of extra intrigue to the fights, but then you lose a bit of the in house stuff. Either way the format is stale. A comeback series would be nice, but I don't see that being long term either. They need something completely new.

Bring back the team challenges!!

• Paid Members

But not if it means a bunch of grown men crawling around pulling each others socks off again like on Season 2.

Mike Whitehead was way too fucking enthusiastic about that one, which looking back on it now in light of his proven perviness is all the more creepy. Chilling even.

I liked the 'Simon Says' one with Randy Couture though.

"Randy says throw a kick."

"Randy says throw a knee."

"Randy says throw a 1, 6, 3, 3, 2, 5, 4, 2, 1, 7, 4, 3, 6, 2, 3 combination." (like anyone could keep up with that shit)

"Sprawl"

....some fucker sprawls....

"Did I say Randy says sprawl?"

Yeah, Live or taped, it's still the same same show overall. The live shows do add a bit of extra intrigue to the fights, but then you lose a bit of the in house stuff. Either way the format is stale. A comeback series would be nice, but I don't see that being long term either. They need something completely new.

I cant really say there was much up with this season. Dana said it was more focused on fighting rather than team trying to tread water keeping a sign up.

• Paid Members
Bobby Southworth was the greatest of all time at team challenges.

FLAWLESS VICTORY!

Can't wait for Ellenberger vs Kampmann. Gotta be the least hyped or talked about potential FOTY ever. Being a 5 rounder makes it even more interesting.

I'd say Kampmann is slightly more well rouded, better striker technically and better BJJ. I'm not sure on Ellenberger's cardio either he kinda faded by the 3rd against Diego. But Ellenberger does have KO power and the luxury of probably being able to dictate where the fight goes due to his wrestling. Kampmann's actually got some underrated wrestling himself but I can't see him stopping too many of Ellenberger's shots.

A really tough call. I could see Ellenberger by KO, Kampmann catching him in a choke or a 5 round war going either way.

I''ll go with Ellenberger by decision in a close fight. Kampmann can be a slow starter and I've got a feeling Ellenberger might build up an early lead but fade late.

But not if it means a bunch of grown men crawling around pulling each others socks off again like on Season 2.

Mike Whitehead was way too fucking enthusiastic about that one, which looking back on it now in light of his proven perviness is all the more creepy. Chilling even.

I liked the 'Simon Says' one with Randy Couture though.

"Randy says throw a kick."

"Randy says throw a knee."

"Randy says throw a 1, 6, 3, 3, 2, 5, 4, 2, 1, 7, 4, 3, 6, 2, 3 combination." (like anyone could keep up with that shit)

"Sprawl"

....some fucker sprawls....

"Did I say Randy says sprawl?"

The two that stand out for me are the one where Luke Cummo won the challenge for his team and suddenly they all started to respect him (it again involved crawling on the floor, but he subdued two of the opposition singlehandedly allowing his team to get the win), and 'The Scarecrow'. Rich forfeiting the challenge, only for Gurgel to behave like a petulant child, storm off, and throw his water bottle and have a hissy fit!

• Paid Members

Ha yeah Franklin played that perfectly. Stevenson and Whitehead were fucked after the Scarecrow.

Luke Cummo is probably my favourite TUF contestant ever. You could tell it wasn't an act with him, he was genuinely a bit of a odd bod. He was brilliant though, I don't think I've ever rooted for someone to win TUF as hard as I rooted for him.

• Paid Members
Luke Cummo is probably my favourite TUF contestant ever. You could tell it wasn't an act with him, he was genuinely a bit of a odd bod. He was brilliant though, I don't think I've ever rooted for someone to win TUF as hard as I rooted for him.

This. Cummo is the type of guy you can't help but get behind and one of the reason's why I love the second series. The dude was the first proper nerdy guy on TUF, and they all thought he would get steamrolled. Then he started fucking shit up with those nasty elbows and unorthodox movement. I loved his finale fight with Joe Stevenson too ("Luke I am your father"). He hasn't done much in MMA since 2008, but he did start his own health food company which seems to be doing well.

What a guy.

luke-cummo_edilberto-de-oliveira.gif

luke-cummo_josh-haynes.gif

That Scarecrow task was the best in TUF history too. The look on Stevenson's face when he finds out they aren't doing it is great.

Archived