The WWE Discussion Thread

A Screen Up

• Paid Members
Rock vs Cena will be interesting but for the match to be successful there needs to be a clean winner at the end.

200px-CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

The finish to Rock vs Cena match needs to be won via pinfall with no interference, any other type of finish would destroy the credibility of the match.

So you're saying the main event at Wrestlmania will lack credibility if it has a bullshit finish in the biggest match of the last 10 years?

Part of me feels like I should post the Captain Obvious picture again, just to re-iterate.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the biggest problem the WWE is facing at the moment is that it is criminally under-utilising some of the performers at its disposal and is falling very short of its potential, especially when it comes to the wrestlers at the top of the card. Once Wrestlemania 28 is out of the way, the company desperately needs to attach a rocket to (at least) a couple of its wrestlers and shoot them to the moon throughout the summer months. As it stands, much of the stigma that surrounds wrestlers receiving pushes within the WWE is that the fans are afraid to truly get behind their growing momentum for fear that nothing will ultimately materialise.

I am not so narrow-minded that I fail to see that the WWE have done a superb job in pushing other wrestlers. CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and Mark Henry have all become true superstars thanks to the WWE in recent times. But decisively it is just this which is why it bothers me so much - if it were any other wrestling company in the world then you would be forgiven for simply putting it down to their booking team having no idea how to get a character over. The WWE, however, are the polar opposite of just this. They made two household names out of two bodybuilders in the middle of the last decade in John Cena and Batista. They were on the verge of making The Miz into a true star last year and Alberto Del Rio was so over that nobody batted an eyelid when he won the Rumble.

There are performers on the roster right now that should be at least on the 'Jericho' level by now - Wade Barrett and Dolph Ziggler for starters. The Miz should be doing more than a second-rate comedy routine with Little Jimmy. Has anybody even noticed that last year's Royal Rumble winner, Alberto Del Rio, is nowhere to be seen? There are now fewer wrestlers than ever on the roster that who were legitimately over a decade ago - the company needs to use these few remaining wrestlers to pass the proverbial torch on to the next generation whilst they still can.

It will be a travesty, and wholly WWE's fault (certain scenarios withstanding), if Alberto Del Rio, The Miz, Sheamus, Wade Barrett and company are not bona fide headliners come Wrestlemania 28.

Having won the Royal Rumble, Sheamus is now in the perfect position to become just this by the time Wrestlemania 29 comes around.

I'm not expecting to see the next Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, The Rock or John Cena just yet but the likes of Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Triple H and Undertaker no longer have time on their sides if they are to truly put over the next generation. A point was raised on this forum earlier today regarding Mick Foley putting Cody Rhodes over at this year's Wrestlemania. The general consensus is now that Foley is too old and broken down to do so. Wait another five years and there will be many more names you could put in the same boat as Foley.

It's time that the WWE look towards protecting their future, and it needs to be done sooner than later. This summer needs to be the Summer of Monster Pushes.

• Paid Members

Surely for a face to have a successful heel turn he's got to be universally over for the turn to have any impact? I'm a casual WWE fan these days (watch the big 4 ppv's & a couple of Raws & SD's a year) but from watching the Rumble the response Cena got was split about 50/50 cheers & boos. A Cena heel turn would be terrible at this moment in time. The people who are booing him as a babyface currently wont suddenly embrace booing him as a heel? He'll be getting the wrong kind of heat altogether, it would achieve nothing.

Surely for a face to have a successful heel turn he's got to be universally over for the turn to have any impact? I'm a casual WWE fan these days (watch the big 4 ppv's & a couple of Raws & SD's a year) but from watching the Rumble the response Cena got was split about 50/50 cheers & boos. A Cena heel turn would be terrible at this moment in time. The people who are booing him as a babyface currently wont suddenly embrace booing him as a heel? He'll be getting the wrong kind of heat altogether, it would achieve nothing.

By that logic no Cena heel turn would ever work, though. He's seven years into his run as the company's #1 babyface - if he was ever going to have universal babyface approval (or even close to it), it would have happened by now. He's simply too divisive to a large section of the company's fanbase.

I don't really want to start the debate on the rights and wrongs of a Cena turn up again - it's tedious, and everybody knows the basic arguments (no obvious replacement vs creative redundancy vs t-shirt sales/sponsorship). But from what I've observed in recent months (and I'm in the same boat as you as a casual viewer these days), the fact they're addressing it in onscreen angles now suggests the possibility of a turn is closer than it's ever been in the last 5 years or so. I'll also throw in that, for the foreseeable future and barring an Austin return, there will only be two people universally popular enough to pull off a Cena turn against - The Rock and The Undertaker. If it's to be against The Rock it will have to be sometime this year, and Taker might not have much longer.

• Paid Members
the fact they're addressing it in onscreen angles now suggests the possibility of a turn is closer than it's ever been in the last 5 years or so.

The reason they are addressing it now, is to sell those "Rise Above Hate" shirts. Its a defence against the boos he'll be recieving at Mania. They are addressing it to basically say "boo me all you want in Miami, I'll rise above it". With no Batista and Rey Mysterio literally on his last leg, I cant see anyone close to him in terms over star power across all their demos. He only gets booed on TV. House shows he's by far their biggest/only asset. Who would you put as the top babyface?

I wouldnt mind him turning, because as you say it will definitely shake things up, but I really cant see it. My thought has always been turning Cena in the match against the Undertaker at Mania. Have him end the streak by doing something especially evil to Undertaker (like pull his wig off).

Nearly all the big stars in wrestling have been heel at some point hogan,austin,rock,hhh,savage,hbk,undertaker,flair,bret hart ,sting (even though that one was bad) etc etc the list goes on.if its good enough for them then why not cena?

• Paid Members
Nearly all the big stars in wrestling have been heel at some point hogan,austin,rock,hhh,savage,hbk,undertaker,flair,bret hart ,sting (even though that one was bad) etc etc the list goes on.if its good enough for them then why not cena?

He has been heel, and its not his choice if he's a heel or babyface. And all those mentioned weren't as valuable to the product as Cena is now.

Hogan - more or less finished in 1996.

Austin - Proof of why you shouldnt turn Cena heel, because there was no babyfaces for him to work with.

Rock - Never on TV much and never on the house shows in 2003.

Randy Savage, Triple H, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Ric Flair and Sting - Weren't as important to business as the above, and always had people to work against when turned.

Pointless making comparisons to the old days away. WWE has stockholders to answer to these days. I'd love to see Vince and Stephanie convince them that their cash cow turning on his supports would be a great idea during a period when most of their business is down compared to previous years.

If Cena went full-blown heel then which face wrestlers could he go against? He works as a face because it allows for him to have the odds stacked against him. Which wrestlers could realistically start going over him cleanly without it damaging Cena?

Besides, Ian has hit it bang on. How do you tell your investors that you're about to turn your biggest merchandise seller into a baddy?

Turning Cena heel would certainly help to freshen things up a bit.

The whole character needs an overhaul. Crap t-shirt and awful shorts is not the get-up of a superstar.

It is however the get-up of a merchandising machine.

Archived