The WWE Discussion Thread

A Screen Up

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It says a lot when you're headliners, every year, ask for JR to announce their match at 'Mania. The Cole thing has overstayed its welcome. Originally it was a good idea, as the end game appeared to be them getting JR back on commentary but Vince changed his mind again. If they plan to stick with Cole as a heel and Vince doesn't want JR, they should get Josh Matthews to announce Raw too. Matthews isn't brilliant or anything, but he's good at calling Cole out on his bollocks and comes across well.

I don't see why everyone has decided J.R should be put out to pasture just because he's been around for ages.

Because he's also been shit the last several times he's been on commentary. He's confused when he's out there. He'd maybe be alright for a guest commentary nostalgia spot now and again (which is all he's used for really), but "bring JR back he is the best" is just the same sort of back-in-my-day fanwank as the "create a new Nation of Domination with all the black wrestlers" nonsense.

• Paid Members

This is the third time I've wrote this (horrible, horrible laptop) so bare with me if it seems a little rushed.

But my question is, do people feel like WWE are slowly pushing towards Taker vs Ziggler at WM?

It probably sounds stupid but based off the last few weeks alone, it does seem more than likely right now for me that this could be how it''ll turn out if Taker does return in time.

Ziggler is the hottest heel in WWE right now, riding a wave of momentum and getting some great responses. After Rumble he can be out of the title scene and onto something else (I believe Jericho will attack Punk on behalf of Steph, going along the video vignettes that Steph wants revenge on Punk for costing her Dad his job and having HHH removed from power.

This leaves Ziggler free. He's on about how great he is, he needs his 'WrestleMania moment'. Cue in the history that Taker and Vickie have and have Ziggler go out and challenge Taker to a match. Play up a few weeks of Ziggler 'looking for Taker', maybe have some more stuff with Foley, maybe HBK and Edge (all history with Taker- Edge also with Vickie) and play up that he'll do what they never could. Have Johnny Laurunitis (never gonna be sure I've spelt that right) make the match for his buddy.

Come to WrestleMania and have it seem like Taker still hasn't showed. Countout win? Ref gets to about 8 and the lights go out and the dongs begin.

With all Ziggler's talk of going down as the guy that ended the streak, rather than being the title holder or retiring otherwise; its all about the streak would make it an open match. WWE could make Dolph Ziggler or give Taker his 20-0. Could go either way.

Either way it'd be his WrestleMania moment before going for the gold in the next 12 months.

And it finally's been wrote. YAY.

• Paid Members
This is the third time I've wrote this (horrible, horrible laptop) so bare with me if it seems a little rushed.

But my question is, do people feel like WWE are slowly pushing towards Taker vs Ziggler at WM?

It probably sounds stupid but based off the last few weeks alone, it does seem more than likely right now for me that this could be how it''ll turn out if Taker does return in time.

Ziggler is the hottest heel in WWE right now, riding a wave of momentum and getting some great responses. After Rumble he can be out of the title scene and onto something else (I believe Jericho will attack Punk on behalf of Steph, going along the video vignettes that Steph wants revenge on Punk for costing her Dad his job and having HHH removed from power.

This leaves Ziggler free. He's on about how great he is, he needs his 'WrestleMania moment'. Cue in the history that Taker and Vickie have and have Ziggler go out and challenge Taker to a match. Play up a few weeks of Ziggler 'looking for Taker', maybe have some more stuff with Foley, maybe HBK and Edge (all history with Taker- Edge also with Vickie) and play up that he'll do what they never could. Have Johnny Laurunitis (never gonna be sure I've spelt that right) make the match for his buddy.

Come to WrestleMania and have it seem like Taker still hasn't showed. Countout win? Ref gets to about 8 and the lights go out and the dongs begin.

With all Ziggler's talk of going down as the guy that ended the streak, rather than being the title holder or retiring otherwise; its all about the streak would make it an open match. WWE could make Dolph Ziggler or give Taker his 20-0. Could go either way.

Either way it'd be his WrestleMania moment before going for the gold in the next 12 months.

And it finally's been wrote. YAY.

Really like the idea of not knowing if Taker is going to show at Mania or not but seriously doubt Ziggler would be booked as his opponent. Takers matches are all about "will the streak finally be broken" and noone would ever believe that Ziggler has it in him to do what some of the biggest names in WWE history have failed to do 19 times before.

cactus_stumo is right. There is no way that the masses would buy Ziggler as a credible challenger at this stage of Ziggler's career. Undertaker has beaten Triple H, Batista, Edge and retired Shawn Michaels at the event over the past few years. Undertaker's streak will never be ended and he certainly wouldn't go up against Ziggler this year as 'Taker and Vince both know that his days of being able to put on MOTYs are drawing to an end.

If Taker has another five years of classic 'Mania matches left in him then it should be Cena, Jericho, Punk, Triple H (not in that order) and then perhaps Ziggler in a couple of year's time. I say Ziggler now but a couple of years are a lifetime in wrestling and there may very well be somebody who would benefit more from it.

Ziggler is on the verge of becoming a bona-fide main eventer and his in-ring work is superb. If he went against Undertaker at 'Mania there's no doubting that he could hold his own; it just wouldn't be viable this year.

• Paid Members

But surely Orton wasn't seen as a natural challenger to the streak and by the end of it, he looked like a main eventer.

Its just, if they keep putting Ziggler over Orton and Punk and keeping him up there with Cena and stuff, wouldn't it look better for him to wrestle Taker.

I dunno, I think its just me thinking how good Ziggler would be as an opponent, he doesn't go for much in terms of high risk moves, could easily have a great match with Taker and if he can sell Ryder's looks like a botched hurricanrana finisher as if he's just been hit by a bus, his taking of the Tombstone would be amazing. Also its one of those first time matches things that I'd like to see.

He went against Orton in 2005. That'll be seven years come this 'Mania, and it was long before Undertaker got to where he is at now where he has to be careful with who he picks knowing that he's only got a few Mania classics left in him. He beat Edge after he faced Orton and people believed Edge was going to win at one point. If Taker went up against an Edge-level wrestler now nobody would believe that his streak was in jeopardy.

• Paid Members
If Taker went up against an Edge-level wrestler now nobody would believe that his streak was in jeopardy.

Thats such a one-eyed way of looking at it. Edge was booked strong, performed tremendously in promos and angles leading up to the bout and was a strong character and was rewarded by being put in the main event ahead of Cena vs Orton vs HHH and Michaels vs Flair. Edge and Undertakers angle made you believe that Edge could end the streak. Its easy now to pick it out the air and say "he didn't have a chance". At the time I definitely believed he did, because of how the match went.

They were actually in the final match based on how strong the match was. Edge was a definite threat.

• Paid Members

There's no way that Taker's not going to get his 20-0, putting him up against anyone other than a cemented legend just now and it'll totally take away from the excitement that surround his WM matches. The following year however, I can see it being his last and most wrestlers like to go out on their back, that year it would be pointless booking him to fight HHH, Cena or anyone else who doesn't need the rub, a perfect opportunity to push a newer guy to the very top.

I'm not saying that nobody believed Edge could win at the time, Ian. I'm saying that it would pretty much be the case now, especially after he's beaten Triple H again and retired Shawn Michaels. A lot of people did believe that Edge could do it, but that was in 2008. It's 2012 now and a lot has changed in the meantime. Four years is a long time for a wrestler like the Undertaker.

Realistically, you're now looking at somebody at the level of Triple H or John Cena to be a serious threat to the streak.

They would have to work wonders with Jericho or Punk (two superstars who you could say were of a similar level to Edge was) to make people believe they could end the streak.

In 2008 the streak had been going on nearly 20years it was just as prestigious as today just a bit shorter but because of the build to the match and feeling it could be possible he would lose the streak to somebody who needed it, Ifelt Edge had a good chance rather than the Undertaker just burying another legend at Wrestlemania .

I remember I was convinced by the fact they bought out the Undertaker DVD 16-0. Why would they bring that out if it wasn't the end of the streak. Is it possible they did this on purpose.

moofasa, which of the following would you seriously consider putting money on ending Undertaker's streak, should they have a match at Wrestlemania?

Triple H

John Cena

Chris Jericho

CM Punk

Alberto Del Rio

The Miz

Kane

Wade Barrett

Sheamus

Dolph Ziggler

For me, only the top two. And even then, Triple H at a very big push. Undertaker pretty much wrestles one match per year these days, it's a completely different kettle of fish to how it was in 2008.

• Paid Members

If it was built right, most of them. Who would have though CM Punk would have beaten John Cena for the WWE title and sparred verbally with heavyweights such as Triple H, Vince McMahon and Kevin Nash. Say they get behind Wade Barrett and he catches on or Dolph Ziggler catches the publics imagination like Punk did in the Summer, a match at WrestleMania next year might be a perfect bookend to a long build. Sheamus especially could catch on huge in the next 12 months.

Actually, I'd say in 2012 there's far more of a chance that a breakout star could be in a position to break the streak, than in 2008. Undertaker's been up for losing the streak before. By all accounts its been on the board in the writers meetings that he's been losing the streak, only for them to take it off at the last minute.

Anyway, I think Triple H is a massive possiblity of beating him this year. He had me believing last year.

Archived