The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Another Western!

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Assassination_poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 7.6

What's it about?

Brad Pitt is Jesse. Casey Affleck is Robert. You know the rest.

What do we say?

24 hours before the deadline for this list, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford had hardly received a single vote and was not going to trouble the top 50. A flurry of support for the lengthily monikered Western later, and it hits the top 20 - and is the highest rated Western on the entire list.

I haven't seen it yet - a crime really, because I've had it for ages and I've almost watched it several times. But I know a man (or two) that have watched it:-

"Simply amazing performances from Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt. Running time of almost 3 hours but you'd wish it went 30."

So says DeanoTheGame, reminding me of why I probably haven't watched it yet. Hard to squeeze it in in the evening on the laptop when I'm supposed to be working.

Go on, Mr. Seven:-

"It

Plus it has a wonderful, wonderful soundtrack from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. Cave also turns up in the film as a singer. I won't ruin it for you! Gladders, but the title od the film is a bit of a spoiler.

Brilliant film, I do love my Westerns that are done right!

• Paid Members
Plus it has a wonderful, wonderful soundtrack from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. Cave also turns up in the film as a singer. I won't ruin it for you! Gladders, but the title od the film is a bit of a spoiler.

Brilliant film, I do love my Westerns that are done right!

No swerve, then?

Have we actually ever had a decent Westerns thread around here?

Is Bradley Pitt generally considered to be a great actor, then? I've never really paid much attention to his films, sort of just assumed he was a pretty face. What do people recommend as an introduction to his work? (Bearing in mind I'm not particularly into action films/sci-fi/westerns/war films...know it's pretty dumb to write off so many genres but there you go, I have exceptions to the rule...ideally I like something with strong characters and dialogue and I can cope with a featureless plot).

Edited by WU LYF 4 LYF

• Paid Members
Is Bradley Pitt generally considered to be a great actor, then? I've never really paid much attention to his films, sort of just assumed he was a pretty face. What do people recommend as an introduction to his work? (Bearing in mind I'm not particularly into action films/sci-fi/westerns/war films...know it's pretty dumb to write off so many genres but there you go, I have exceptions to the rule...ideally I like something with strong characters and dialogue and I can cope with a featureless plot).

Why do you have to be such hard work all the time? Just watch good films. Start with Se7en.

• Paid Members

He appears in 3 out of my top 10 films (Se7en, Fight Club and Snatch), one that just missed out of my top 10 with Sleepers, and that's not including the roles he received most credit for his acting, namely the above, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and Moneyball which I am yet to see but looks ace. He's great in Inglourious Basterds, the Oceans films, Twelve Monkeys and his part in True Romance, although miniscule, is also great.

So yes, I guess is my answer.

Edited by Burchill's Buddy