Jesse Neal Interview

AJS269

Linky Linky

Jesse Neal revealed during an interview with Bryan Alvarez of F4WOnline.com that TNA Wrestling refused to pay his hefty medical bills stemming from a neck injury he suffered at the May pay-per-view event Sacrifice.

The injury occurred during the conclusion of the match pitting Ink, Inc. against Mexican America when Hernandez executed a dominator-like finisher on Neal. An MRI showed he had a bulged disk after being spiked into the mat.

Neal said TNA paid for the initial MRI but refused to cover any of the other medical costs related to the injury—which he still must pay. "It's my name, it's going against my credit...It's hard to swallow sometimes," Neal says.

Neal wasn't booked for any matches until October as a precaution following the neck trauma. The Florida native says he returned a lot quicker than he was supposed to. He adds, "Of course I was still hurt, but when you're sitting on your ass at home, you're making no money, and I had to get back into it."

Neal parted ways with TNA last month after organization officials asked him to relocate from Florida to Louisville, Kentucky to further his wrestling training in Ohio Valley Wrestling. He was unable to comply with their request because the money they were offering "wasn't even anything close to live on."

Considering the bad publicity TNA has had from some corners of the IWC on the medical expenses issue that is pretty astounding , especially when you consider this is the second biggest company in wrestling and has on its books expensive talent such as Sting and Hulk Hogan. You would think this company would at least pay medical bills.

• Paid Members

I more relavent wrestlers health news:

Matt Jackson calls out "dirt sheets" after ROH setting the business back 5 years at Final Battle:

matt-jackson-41900611.jpg

"It's funny how everyone on the dirt sheets get so mad about unprotected chair shots. They say its to dangerous to the head. It's to dangerous to the head?! Obviously. But if you guys were so worried you should be more worried about a normal back bump. Falling on the mat from any type of impact is like a small car crash. R heads bounce from the mat and it's extremely more dangerous. Should we stop taking back bumps than? In my opinion it's the same impact to the head. I should know because I've taken both before. But I've never gotten a concussion from chair shots. They've mostly been from bumps on the ring mat. Everything in wrestling is dangerous. If ppl were really concerned about us wrestlers health, than wrestling all together would be banned."

He shouldn't have been such a clumsy fuck. He's a cheek to complain about moving to developmental when he can't avoid injury

Is this a joke!? Employers of wrestlers have a duty of care for their employees (or sub contractors) if they are injured on their show. It's that simple!

As for the OVW thing. He wasn't complaining about moving. He was prepared to do it. The fact is that TNA pay's it's lower card talent such a pitance that he was unable to move. If TNA had gave him a small advance or a relocation bonus (and if you think about it, if they want Neal to improve to a level where he one day could draw money, they should be giving him all the help he needs) he would have gladly moved.

All wrestlers should have comprehensive personal medical cover - a gimme considering their job. They are self-employed contractors and so it's not up to TNA to pay their medical expenses.

However, even the Jesse Neals of this world should get some sort of downside guarantee, so that if they DO get injured they have some income coming in to cover other costs. In this day and age, that should be mandatory for a decent sized wrestling organisation.

He shouldn't have been such a clumsy fuck. He's a cheek to complain about moving to developmental when he can't avoid injury

Is this a joke!? Employers of wrestlers have a duty of care for their employees (or sub contractors) if they are injured on their show. It's that simple!

It's really not that simple though. A company does have a duty of care, but there's a massive difference between TNA supplying a safe work environment, and Jesse Neal hurting himself doing a move him and his opponent chose to do.

E.g. If Neal hurt himself because they bought a new ring that was dangerous and untested... then yes it would be their fault. But it's not their fault if it's from general wear and tare, which is effectively a occupational hazard.

People in US are responsible for their own health care, not the companies. And Mr. Neal was very silly not to have insurance in place.

• Moderators

In all honesty, I couldn't comprehend being a full time pro wrestler in the US without sorting myself out some half decent medical cover. You owe it to yourself, and as an independent contractor the company doesn't owe it you, so you need to get it sorted.

What came of the Jesse Neal gets food stamps story in the end?

I think you'll find that medical insurance is either insanely expensive for a wrestler, or quite possibly not covered by alot of (insurance) companies.

And yet the majority of wrestlers have it.

Don't get this me wrong this is very unfortunate, but its just the way it is. If you want to take part in a dangerous hobby and want to be insured, you have to pay a premium for the privilege.

I think you'll find that medical insurance is either insanely expensive for a wrestler, or quite possibly not covered by alot of (insurance) companies.

Are you talking about America or this country cos its not that expensive in this country and most insurance companies cover american wrestling (thats what it is listed as) full cover in this country starts at 50 pound a year thats the lowest cover most is 120. Nought really when you think about it

Archived