WWE Network New Programming

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
Often raunchy?

Cena said "penis" this week and everything.

I think the network not getting off the ground is the best thing that can happen. I think everybody (bar Vince, of course) is of the opinion that this will be another big loss for the company. It would be one thing if their core product was 'hot', but it's far from it.

Exactly. I got chatting about this with my dad the other day and his thoughts were basically "Why now, and not a decade ago?"

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They didn't need to do it a decade ago. They were raking in money from advertising, houses and PPV's. They are trying to diversify to create another revenue stream and potentially create an environment where they can take a big percentage of the money their TV and PPV generates.

• Paid Members

Fair point. But does their brand have the strength to carry a whole channel to success at this point? Conversely, if not now, and if not then, d'you think there's any point in time (real or hypothetical) this could've worked?

• Paid Members

There's a potential loss of millions of dollars waiting to hit them, if this dies on its arse (which history says it probably will). I get what they are trying to do, since wrestling isnt attractive to TV companies anymore. When WWE left Spike in 2005, there was only USA offering them anything close to the value of the TV contract they had (and thats because Bonnie Hammer is friends with Vince). So God knows how little interest there is now, if WWE were to find itself without a TV deal at the end of the contract. By the same token, with most of WWE's revenue streams so low, as compared to before (live event tickets, figures, magazines, PPVs and ratings etc), you'd think they'd have thought twice about this one. If this goes tits up, there's hundreds of millions of dollars worth of advertising, licensing and even getting the thing off the ground going down the shitter. They've already spent 4 million on it, and they havent even hired anyone yet. I get WWE is less of a wrestling promotion and more of a vanity project for the people running, but this is a risk.

Fair point. But does their brand have the strength to carry a whole channel to success at this point?

Not unless they get Herbie and Alex Shane on board. A return of the Bagpipe Report would be just the thing.

• 2 months later...

Archived