Preston City Wrestling - Blood, Sweat & Beers 24/02/12

fludder99

Agreed, Travis bled all over the place. couldnt really see any of the first half of the match though due to it being in the crowd. 4way was a cracker. The No DQ match ending in a non finish was just stupid though, total 'Is that it' reaction from everyone near me. Did they run out of time at the end? seemed to all wrap up really quickly

Travis was doing his best to bleed dry, the crowd were rally flat after that. Some tweaking may be required, especially as the MVK vs The hammer ended in a DQ despite being not able to end that way afaik. The 3 way seemed a bit flat as well

Will put me thoughts up, properly, when not hammered.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Received a text earlier this evening, and I quote...

"At PCW. Two hours and fifteen minutes in and we are at the intermission, and three matches to go! Great show, great crowd, twice as long as it needs to be... British Wrestling FTW!"

Question. How long did this show actually last? :|

It was about three and a half hours I think, with a 20 minute interval. I missed the first match (heard the 3-count just as we were walking down the hallway), but everything else was really good. My only two nitpicks have already been covered (the No DQ match not having a finish was a bit strange, and the I Quit match should probably have been the main event), but everything else was pretty solid. Really good venue too, although my bad back was begging me to sit down after a while. I'll definitely be going back in the future, although work says "no" to next month unfortunately :(

Really good show. The three matches I went for (4-way, I Quit and Triple Threat) all delivered and then some. Lovely venue in person, great atmosphere and a lot of fun. Like others, will most likely post a lot more in depth later. But I really did love the Dar/Sabre exchanges, Lionheart and Trav really busted their asses and the main event worked and really flowed well together.

Suz loved her first show too.

*Cracks Knuckles*

I've had no sleep and maybe a lil hungover/still pissed,I'm not quite sure, but here we go with a more in depth run down of things.

First off, it was cracking to meet some UKFF'ers some present Cobystag (and his missus), Richie as per getting to be a PCW staple now :) (Jager's are evil as well, thanks for the drinks dude), Cheetah 69uk, Fludder (would have been rude not to tbh :p). and some not so present, Seasider.

Met a load of people I used to work with again as well, and some other PCW folk, but there seemed to be quite a few regular's missing, despite the high turn out which was odd. I guess they were elsewhere, maybe at Southside or something. I said hi to a guy who previewed PCW on youtube, which was pretty and another guy who had Clyde on his T shirt, considering I had Blinky and Inky on mine it was almost a Pacman full set. I also made a complete tit of myself to the lass I was with and have apologised on that score,mainly because Im a moron :( and I was probably a bit of a pillock infront of Fludder's missus' mum as well. I was on fire :(. It wasn't that I was drunk, it's just that I had been standing all night and my grip still isnt right because of my back. Richie can attest to me dropping a beer in the smoking area, so constant dropping a cigarette and trying to pick it up and failing infront of PCW royalty, was probably a bad move on my part. Oops.

Anyway, on to the wrestling

First up we had the 4 Way Dance. Noam came out first and got a lot of stick on the mic, which was very funny. His Lancashire accent isnt that good either though, mind. The match itself was very good and fast paced. PCW always starts off strong and this was no exception to the rule.

Next up we had The Drinking Contest iirc. The Blackpool Bum Boys, erm Blondes and Roughneck came out and started a well I dont know what tbh. Started off with some John Smith's and then moved on to Roughneck Piss. The Blackpool Blondes, invited out The Hammer to join them, which was teasing a turn (BOOOO!) and things got very surreal as PCW couldnt turn the home town hero, could they?

Of course not, after some more teases, The Hammer took off his jacket to reveal a Mob T shirt and promptly kicked some arse with Roughneck to cheers. phew. The segment ended with some of the rabid crowd, getting the PCW version of the dentist chair in the ring.

The Number One Contenders Match was a bit strange in so much that I can remember Bubblegum and Burridge coming out to do a match, and Burridge getting his fluffy dice out of his pants again ala when teaming with Colt, but I cant for the life of me remember who won the match or anything about the match itself. Clearly I must have been transported to a different time zone or alternate universe at this point? I did shake Burridge's hand when he was by the merch stall later, though. Fill in the blanks if you can.

EDIT: It appears that this was the match that the lass, Becky something? was yelling at the end of. This is all coming back to me like some bad acid flashback :(

The match of the night and an early contender for Brit Match of the Year was Lionheart vs Travis. OMFG this was brutal epic, had a crazy blade job from Travis, who was dripping with blood. The action went all over Lava/Ignite and there were Tables, Ladders, A Kendo Stick (some really brutal kendo shots!) Dustbin's and thumbtacks used. There wasnt however any sign of the MITB case, which would have surely made a decent weapon, but maybe that was just me. Epic, epic match and Trav pulled out the win.(At least I think he did. Im really beginning to doubt my own mind after the previous match has dissapeared from my memory!) The match rightly earned a standing ovation from the crowd, and such was the appreciation that Lionheart actually ended up with a face turn of sorts, despite him afaik being presented as a heel for most of his PCW run thus far.

Some pictures of the match and others, by Tony Knox, can be found here

After the match, the poor old camera man (Tovus on here/youtube) got rockbottomed on to some tacks, which was nice, but it wasn't the only official who was to have problems in the ring.

Then it was time for the intermission, now going on what people have said on here, this came after 2 hours nearly. It didnt feel like two hours, its one of those times you had to be there as it just flew by and the standard of what had been seen, other than the match, I cant actually remember was incredible.

The first match back after the interval was Dave Rayne and Terry Frazier, versus Disco Madness, Dave gets an inordinate amount of heat and the chants of we're all Dave Rayne, and the masks and the signs, really confused some of the new people. Disco Madness were cool, and Manson had an I'm Dave Rayne Tee on, which he took off to reveal, that his own body had become an I'm Dave Rayne temple. It was a short match all told, but was good fun and yet again Dave Rayne's partner turned on him causing the loss. Also there was an air of tension between Sam Bailey and Manson at the end with no high 5's and Manson bigging up Terry Frazier with the best chant that PCW had ever heard, but was more of a monologue :D

I wonder if there will be a Disco Madness split at some point and who will go heel out of the two? Would be interesting to say the least.

The Hammer vs Val Kabious match, was really strange, it started off as a brutal match (Val Kab was wearing a really odd looking singlet, but there you go) and descended into chaos as the match was interrupted by the Blackpool Blondes and eventually Roughneck after Des the Ref had been totalled by Val Kabious. The match ended seemingly in a no contest or a double DQ, which is really really mystifying as seeing it was a No DQ match. Im sure there are reasons for this, (Val Kab off to WWE etc) but I'm a bit lost at this point because it didnt make any sense to end the match that way.

To end the show, was the three way for the title Haskins vs Moss vs T Bone.. Haskins looked completely different to his TNA persona, and was rocking a old school Jericho/Legolas hair style and Moss looks fricking huuuge. Some cracking action in ring and some inventive stuff especially from Haskins, who I was quite impressed with after being so dismissive of his TNA work thus far. The chopping stand off between Moss and T Bone was really good fun as well.

All in all cracking show, the 2nd half suffered a little because of the epic end to the first half, but the in ring stuff as always was top notch and the crowd were mental as usual. 476 turned up for this one which is really impressive given that there was other shows running in the North, each with their own draws such as Finlay. PCW really has an aura of it's own and its the passion of the fans, the cheap beer, and the copious amounts of fun that people have at the show which make it a rip roaring night out. It will continue to grow and word of mouth about how good it is can only mean that it continues to grow.

Dunno if I will be able to make it to Spring Slam, as I'm now utterly broke, for like, ever. What a way to start the year off though. Well done the Fludder

Dunno if I will be able to make it to Spring Slam, as I'm now utterly broke, for like, ever. What a way to start the year off though. Well done the Fludder

Mate, I'll fucking pay you in and look after you for beer all night. You were awesome last night! Can't be having you missing a show because of something as trivial as having no money.

Edit - I must also give a huge thanks to Seasider for sorting me a front row seat. You're a diamond my friend.

• Paid Members

Haskins had just caught Moss in an rko while he was tring a top rope dive on T Bone so it wasn't that flukey a finish. Ritchie I didn't get to buy you a drink last night. Catch me at the next show and I'll get you 2.

I've just remembered the crowd going nuclear when MVK (who I'm still not sure about) hit Des with a death valley driver.

Great show, although driving back to Skipton then having to work in Huddersfield at 9am today means I won't get my photos sorted until Monday.

Thoughts on the show are similar to everyone else's, although I will add that they need to be careful with the ringside photographers. Knox knows his stuff and stays out of the way as does the video chap, but the girl at ringside kept standing in front of people who were clearly getting a little annoyed at their view being blocked.

Another show that i think in my eyes delivered on the strength that it had something for everyone. There was high flying, there was some good brawls, there was a bit of light entertainment, there was matches that raised questions and had cotroversy , there was blood, there was beers!

All I know is the crowd are one of the best in the UK and given that there was almost 500 people for an all british show speaks levels about how positive the The british wrestling scene is at the moment.

There is lessons to be learned from this though as it did run over time which is not something you need when your attracting new fans. I saw 1PW do this and suffer the concequences and id hate for 1PW to have the same fate. The segment that I was personally involved in went over by 10 minutes which given the fact ive been wrestling for many years now is unacceptable. Ive took pride in running to time and I believe that this is the 1st time it has been brought to my attention and I will make sure that it does not take place again.

Bottom line is it was 1 of many great shows over the weekend but id go as far as to say PCW is the must see promotion in the North West and it will continue to get better.

Archived