Preston City Wrestling - Blood, Sweat & Beers 24/02/12

fludder99

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only issues with the show was the length and the fact that the pointless MVK was booked in the first place. Big respect to Mr Fludder for taking the blame and actions on both these issues.

The incredible 4 way, the truely MENTAL last man standing and the enjoyable main event were all truely fantastic matches. I enjoyed the Ale house segment, but felt it dragged towards the end and lost it's focus somewhat. I always enjoy Disco Madness matches. I don't think the MVK vs Hammer match was needed on the card, specially as a brawl round the building No DQ match, after the true epic we had just witnessed between Travis and Lionheart.

So, the pics... a few highlights:

6788568922_2e19e0f54c_z.jpg

Allmark with a suicide dive onto Zack Sabre Jr. by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934682735_5a805101c3_z.jpg

Allmark stomps on Joey Hayes from the turnbuckle by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934683145_8a27806ac9_z.jpg

Richie gets a free beer from Ruffneck by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934683315_bc56e1b68e_z.jpg

The Blackpool Blondes arrive at the Ale House by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6788570536_4c252dff5e_z.jpg

'The Hammer' turns out to be a MOBhead by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934685059_bcbe6b35ca_z.jpg

Burridge gets his fuzzy dice out by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934685311_b7ba028f14_z.jpg

Burridge piles fans onto Bubblegum by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934685537_8ecc73245c_z.jpg

Kris Travis arrives in the ring by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6788573082_cc731ba046_z.jpg

The fight spills onto the bar by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934686645_f2f368c2aa_z.jpg

Travis pushes Lionheart off a balcony onto a table by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934686829_bc2ec48129_z.jpg

Lionheart hits the floor by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934687081_7127cceb94_z.jpg

Travis hits a moonsault off the balcony onto Lionheart by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934687513_5c48ee65b0_z.jpg

Travis refuses to quit despite a brutal caning by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934688083_e09c9cba2b_z.jpg

Lionheart empties thumbtacks onto the ring by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6788575496_d813343249_z.jpg

Travis takes down Lionheart into the thumbtacks by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934689095_1649d21bca_z.jpg

A blooded Travis gets the mic by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934689669_20350ed0ab_z.jpg

We're all Dave Rayne by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934690151_40e223117c_z.jpg

MVK Valkabious in the ring for his rematch against 'The Hammer' by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6934691023_0061cff5ff_z.jpg

TNA star Mark Haskins arrives for the PCW Title Match by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6788578048_bf3a3a3dea_z.jpg

Johnny Moss comes off the top rope by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

6788579014_ea0e6f9688_z.jpg

Moss, Haskins and T-Bone in the three-way PCW title match by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

The rest of the set

I just thought it was flukey in nature with the hard hitting intense nature of the match, that the big brute heavyweight champ manages to retain with a flash pin on the smallest guy in the match. At least that's how it felt to me.

While I'm here I might as well do some more in-depth thoughts.

Preston is nice and easy to get to and the venue was easy enough to find with a SatNav. Only issues were the traffic you'd expect on the M62 on a Friday afternoon, the miles upon miles of road works on said M62, and then the "is this a one way street? Fuck it we're driving up it now" up Boltons Ct where a kindly old man pointed us out to free parking.

The venue looks beautiful in footage, but amazing in person. I knew the crystals above the ring looked close, but they are *really* close when you're sat beneath them. Some excellent seats so thank you to Fludder.

One thing I do love about not only Preston but other promotions now is that they are not afraid to bring in talent from outside the local scene. A few years ago all promotions tended to book only guys in the surrounding area to cut down costs, so the promotions that will bring in talent, wherever they are in the country, are promotions that I fully support and go out there to show the strength of BritWres so Preston with guys from London, Kent, Glasgow and everywhere else really deserve all the credit in the world.

Loved the opener. I know I and a lot of people were looking forward to this match and it truly lived up to expectations. I was already loving the match before it even began with Dar's mic work riling the crowd up, and the match really did start in the right way by Dar and Sabre squaring off first. You know when you get two wrestlers who are just made for each other, they were custom built opponents to really bring out the best in one another? Well Zack and Noam are one example and I hope these two face each other for years to come. I loved the strike exchanges, and especially Noam's selling when Zack repeatedly kicked Dar's leg out from under him. Dean Allmark is a guy who doesn't exactly have a "look" that immediately captures you, he was in an All Star "bubble" for a few years that he really has broken out from in the past few years, and while he does have the 'clap hands' "Shall I?" mentality, he usually only gets polite applause at the beginning of his matches in new areas, but by the end of the match always really wins the crowd over. And Joey Hayes as a re-occuring character for PCW and "local" boy really did have the majority of the crowd support. There was so much good stuff in this one. The beginning strike and submission exchanges with Dar and Sabre that ultimately led to a deserving ending to the match. Allmark winning the crowd over with moves like that 619 to the gut when Hayes(?) attempted to throw him through the ropes. The three faces all unloading on Dar. Dives, dives and more dives. Especially Sabre's TWO suicide dives back to back. This is the first wrestling match I saw live of 2012 and what a start to the year! Very very good match and most definitely the best 'wrestling' match on the show.

The next segment did it's job and definitely worked in the nightclub. Ruffneck came out with Tesco carrier bags containing beer, the Blondes came out with wine glasses and introduced fan favourite The Hammer as their new bodyguard.... You can see where this was going. And Ruffneck gave the Blondes a bottle of "Ruffneck wine" from his uncles vinyard in France.... Before they even commented on the asparagus taste you could see where that was going. Fun segment that led to the eventual Hammer face turn, the Blondes getting thrown out, and the fans getting involved in a mini-beer bash. My only complaint was it may have gone on too long, but it was at least entertaining.

I'll be honest, before the show I didn't know what to make of Burridge/Bubblegum. It wasn't a combination that stood out to me as anything special and with 'Gum being the heel I would've expected him to act as the obnoxious little man chipping away at the big guy and attempting to wind him up and wear him down. So no surprises that's how the match started, but I didn't expect Bubblegum to attempt to go toe to toe with Burridge in regards to striking and managing to hold his own for the most part. One thing that did irk me, and it is a minor niggle, was that Bubblegum inadvartantly chopped the ringpost when Burridge moved, Burridge followed it up by slamming Gum's hand down on the ring apron, but then the hand within a matter of seconds was forgotten about and Bubblegum was using his hand as normal and striking with it. Within this match and the story presented, it would have made more sense for Burridge to be the one to strike the ringpost and then be at a disadvantage afterwards. Like I said, a minor niggle. I did expect Burridge to win seen as a potential T-Bone vs Burridge match looked to make the most sense, but as soon as I saw Becky James(?) take Burridge's ringjacket and then attack him with the handbag, the match ended with a countout finish and Bubblegum win. A decent match but nothing you'll really remember afterwards. One thing did stand out to me that the Burridge of 07 is well and truly done as his matches now entirely rely on his character and short cuts with the brawling around the ring. But it works and that's because Burridge has enough charisma about him to make it work. Just can't help but wonder what would have happened to his career if he wouldn't have suffered that injury in early 08.

Lionheart vs Travis made a point of making sure this match left a lasting impression with the crowd and stole the entire show. They did say before the match that they were going to have a main event calibre match and really put on a spectacle. And they really did succeed. Even with the mic work before the match there was an animosity between the two that justified the I Quit stipulations and intense hatred that led to the involvement of tables, ladders, drawing pins and kendo sticks. There really were some spectacular stunts in this match to go along with the heated brawling and stiff strike exchanges. Lionheart came flying across the nightclub over a barricade to clothesline Travis. Travis sent Lionheart flying over a raised barrier and then followed it up by moonsaulting onto Lionheart shortly afterwards. Travis speared Lionheart clean through a propped up table. Lionheart frog splashed Travis through a raised table. Travis did bleed heavily but at least it wasn't a proper gusher so only a 6 or 7 on the Muta Scale. My only complaint is that with the brawling around the entire nightclub and the crowd following it made it difficult to see. One nice thing for future would be for the ringside camera to be projected on the screens at times like these. But I'm sure that's already been looked into. And the botch with Lionheart "quitting" was unfortunate. Both men ended up with drawing pins stuck in their body and whelts on their backs after stiff kendo stick shots that led to the finish. There really was a great visual/moment with Travis blooded, defiantly urging Lionheart to keep hitting him with the kendo stick as he wasn't going to give up. Just a really great spectacle of a match and will hopefully be fullied captured on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Well that's what I wrote on Saturday...... Guess I'll have to finish this tomorrow if not Friday due to life getting in the way.

Archived