BBC Sports Personality of the Year

The Natural

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's obviously no chance of it happening, but surely Mario Balotelli should win this.

When you look at who the M.E.N picked. I am actually shocked they didn't pick him.

Amidst the madness, I actually thought their pick of Chapple was a good shout - Lancashire's success seemed a bit lost this year and I think he deserves a bit more credit for it.

• Paid Members
Cavendish for me, absolute no contest. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get it, because I imagine to people who don't watch much cycling that he could come across as really arrogant.

And those MEN picks are baffling. :rolleyes:

They're not that bad. The choices of Keri Anne Payne ( :love: ) and Glen Chapple are excellent shouts. But Berbatov and Vieira are shockers.

Cavendish for me, absolute no contest. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get it, because I imagine to people who don't watch much cycling that he could come across as really arrogant.

They're not that bad. The choices of Keri Anne Payne ( :love: ) and Glen Chapple are excellent shouts. But Berbatov and Vieira are shockers.

Toure? C'mon. They've just gone for anybody local, even if they aren't fookin British!

Chapple is a decent name, but would they have given a vote to Jimmy Troughton if the Bears hadn't have bottled it? Would they fuck. But I suppose you'll get that when a local paper has to vote.

• Paid Members

Toure? C'mon. They've just gone for anybody local, even if they aren't fookin British!

Chapple is a decent name, but would they have given a vote to Jimmy Troughton if the Bears hadn't have bottled it? Would they fuck. But I suppose you'll get that when a local paper has to vote.

Well, I mean, firstly, calm down. I'm not saying the selections aren't shit in places and yes of course they show a local bias, but Chapple and Payne are still great nominations.

• Paid Members
What has Cavendish done? Im not too clued up on cycling and only know that he won the odd stage at the Tour De France?

Won 5 stages of the Tour de France this year bringing his total to 20. When you consider that the next most succesful british cyclist has 8 stage wins in total you can see the scale of his achievement. He has also won the final stage of the Tour 3 years in a row, which no one else has ever done. He is 6th on the all time list of stage winners and if he keeps going on at the rate he is then he should break Merckx's record within the next 3-4 years. When you consider Merckx was probably the greatest cyclist ever and he rode in a time when they did not test for amphetamines, his 34 stage wins looked untouchable.

Became the first british cyclists to win the green jersey competition in the Tour de France. That is for the rider who picked up the most points over the course of the Tour.

Became only the 2nd ever british winner of the World Championship road race, the last one was in 1965, and became the first rider since 1981 to win the green jersey and the world championship in the same year.

And above all else he has an actual personality, and he is banging "Page 3 Stunner" Peta Todd and has got her up the duff as well.

I will be voting for him but I doubt he will actually win

What has Cavendish done? Im not too clued up on cycling and only know that he won the odd stage at the Tour De France?

Won 5 stages of the Tour de France this year bringing his total to 20. When you consider that the next most succesful british cyclist has 8 stage wins in total you can see the scale of his achievement. He has also won the final stage of the Tour 3 years in a row, which no one else has ever done. He is 6th on the all time list of stage winners and if he keeps going on at the rate he is then he should break Merckx's record within the next 3-4 years. When you consider Merckx was probably the greatest cyclist ever and he rode in a time when they did not test for amphetamines, his 34 stage wins looked untouchable.

Became the first british cyclists to win the green jersey competition in the Tour de France. That is for the rider who picked up the most points over the course of the Tour.

Became only the 2nd ever british winner of the World Championship road race, the last one was in 1965, and became the first rider since 1981 to win the green jersey and the world championship in the same year.

And above all else he has an actual personality, and he is banging "Page 3 Stunner" Peta Todd and has got her up the duff as well.

I will be voting for him but I doubt he will actually win

Yeah id say Darren Clarke, Rory McIlroy or Andrew Strauss then.

Has to be Cook surely if you're going for a cricketer just for the sheer amount of runs he scored in the Ashes? It was an amazing achievement. Nothing against Strauss but it seems odd to me that'd he win it this year when he's had better years with the bat. Depends how you weigh up captaincy against personal success though in the end.

Don't know if anyone's seem the long list of nominations, but the Manchester Evening News picks are amazing.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2011 - How they voted

and only one of the publications picked Dario Franchitti.

I long gave up taking the Sports Personality of the Year seriously, though if I was voting for those on the list I would vote for Cavendish although Mo Farah has had a fantastic year also.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/2...shortlist-anger

Britain's sportswomen have reacted with anger and dismay at the complete absence of women on the shortlist for the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year award.

After solid but rather unspectacular years the boxer Amir Khan and world No4 tennis player Andy Murray both featured on the 10-man list, but there was no place for the triathlon world champion Chrissie Wellington, the world champion rower Kath Grainger or the world champion swimmers Keri-Anne Payne and Rebecca Adlington.

Payne was sanguine about her omittance

Djokovic or vettel for overseas

Novak Djokovic gets my vote. Amazing to think he won three Majors and only lost a couple of matches the whole year.

I'd like Alastair Cook or Andrew Strauss to take home Sports Personality of the Year.

BBC Radio 5 Live said out of the 10 nominees, Amir Khan got the fewest votes and Rebecca Adlington missed out by one vote.

Archived