BBC Sports Personality of the Year

The Natural

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What, you mean apart from being one of the best tennis players in the world?

Just because your one of the best in the world at your sport, doesn't mean you should be nominated for a Sports Personality Of The Year award every year.

Exactly, on that basis Graeme Swann should be in, although he should be in there by default every single year.

Why do they have to have a 10 person shortlist, anyway? They never used to.

I guess it's so they can do the phone-in instead of people just writing in like they used to.

Do they make money on the phone vote? I'd imagine so. My dad always used to bang on about how the BBC rigged this so that only BBC sports would win. Does my head in, it is about this time of year that I'm kind of glad I live in a different country to him.

Just because your one of the best in the world at your sport, doesn't mean you should be nominated for a Sports Personality Of The Year award every year.

So being one of the best in the entire World each year doesn't mean he should be nominated each year?

He works hard each year to stay almost on the top of his entire sport, thats far from easy.

• Paid Members

Well what fucking criteria should you be nominated under then? Do you think in Switzerland when they do their version of it they say, "Let's give Federer the year off, this is getting shit. Is Kubilay Turkyilmaz still around? Give it him."

You fucking idiot.

I'd have had Murray in. Number 3 in the world, had the entire country in a frenzy in the second week of Wimbledon, single handedly saves our Davis Cup team from being appalling.

I'd have had Ricky Burns in right enough, 2 world titles this year, but it looks a fair list overall. You're never going to please everyone.

The thing about no women being on the list, I think it's due to the lack of coverage the sports that they're good at get. Swimming, we really only see it (and tend to care) at the Olympics. Ironman, while I respect the hell out of them, isn't a TV sport, so no-one knows about it. And in general, people prefer to watch men's sport. We all have our reasons for that, and I'm not going into them here, but it's true of most people.

I'll be sticking a few quid on Mo Farah at 13/2, but fully expect Cavendish to win, and deservedly so.

Cavendish or Rory Mc for me. Rory's US Open performance doesnt get the credit it deserves however he has many many years left to win it and some of his votes will go to Donald and Clarke as fellow golfers so id put him 2nd this time. Cavendish will be getting my vote come the night. As much as Id like Murray to win being the only Scot I think his turn will come if he wins a slam. The 2 Athletes and Cricketers will take each others votes and Khan I dont think has a shout.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived