Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Whilst I do get Ant's point, stuff like this has been going on for years and I honestly don't think people read too much into it. I remember HHH stating a couple of years ago on air to CM Punk, "Who do you think pays Living Color to use their music as your entrance theme?" There has also been a storyline where wrestlers wee fighting for their percentage of merchandise royalties (Cyna / Gunn vs James and Pac).

Triple H mentioned in an Interview with Micheal Cole that he is no longer allowing the Bigshow to use his WWE name, so will now be going by Paul White. Is this story going a little "TNA" now?

Show debuted in the WWE as Paul White IIRC. Plus this storyline is great.

Yeah he did, but is there any reason for the WWE to be telling all the casuals and kids out there, that "We own the copyrighted names of our guys"?

I don't care how casual the fan is, I think they assume 'Big Show' has a real name

If he was called, "The Bigshow" Paul White and they made him drop the nickname, then fair enough, but its just to smarky when they use real names. CM Punk is not Phil, HHH is not Paul and the Bigshow is The Bigshow. We don't want to know the inner working on TV, if we are that interested we'd go on the net and find out. If Hulk Hogan ever gets called Terry on TV i'm done :p

Whilst I do get Ant's point, stuff like this has been going on for years and I honestly don't think people read too much into it. I remember HHH stating a couple of years ago on air to CM Punk, "Who do you think pays Living Color to use their music as your entrance theme?" There has also been a storyline where wrestlers wee fighting for their percentage of merchandise royalties (Cyna / Gunn vs James and Pac).

Plus there was the thing where Vince McMahon was telling The Rock that he could have given him the Bastion Booker or Doink the clown gimmicks.

Plus there was the thing where Vince McMahon was telling The Rock that he could have given him the Bastion Booker or Doink the clown gimmicks.

Absolutely guys, this is not a new thing.

Funnily enough if forced to guesstimate when I think things changed it's essentially when Vince became a heel character post Montreal/the Attitude era inception.

• Paid Members
If Hulk Hogan ever gets called Terry on TV i'm done :p

Pretty sure that Vince Russo did back in the day...

WCW doesn't count! Just talking about the real company....

Didn't The Rock call him Terry at the NWO return No Way Out PPV back in the day?

• Paid Members
Didn't The Rock call him Terry at the NWO return No Way Out PPV back in the day?

No. He called him "Hogan." In fact, that segment was the antithesis of using real names, since even though Scott Hall and Kevin Nash had gone by their real names on TV for six years, he referred to them as "you, chico, Razor Ramon" and "your big buddy, BIG DADDY COOL, Diesel!"

On Shawn's DVD he does mention Vince telling him "Terry's business" in regards to their forthcoming program back in 2005, off the top of my head.

• Paid Members

Everyone calls him "Hulk" anyway. His wife used to call him "Hulk" on his reality show. The blokes lawyer read a statement out last year during the sex tape thing where he called him "Mr Hogan". He's a gimmick until the end. Bandana in the court room, the lot. If you were going to do a real life storyline, you'd probably be best using his work name anyway.

Thing is, out of all real names your average bloke on the street would probably know he's called "Terry". My Mam thinks his real name is Terry Hogan, based on the period he went by Terry 'Hulk' Hogan in the early 90s when he was trying to crack showbiz.

This reminds me, remember when he did the Stone Cold Terry Bollea gimmick in WCW? That was actually pretty decent, for what it was. I remember thinking the idea of it was dreadful. But Hogan was pretty shite around that time (he'd just come off the breaking hands angle with Luger), so that was a refreshing change.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Essentially isn't taking The Big Show's name away "Best for business"?

Like, the WWE wants a face of a champion leading the company so is against Bryan, he's just one of thier performers. Taking away the chance for Show to use his name outside the company means they keep the royalties of his name but also provides them to be a heel in the sense that people wouldn't hire or go to see Paul Wight as they only know The Big Show. Further making his money situation worse.

(This of course is all in storyline terms, I'm not that much of an idiot)

Its showing just who has the real power and control over the superstars, they may be the talented one's but they have no power compared to the authority.

Also going back to Show debuting under his real name its a little less gimmicky than just outright revealing his name, like when Shamrock called Undertaker Mark when he kidnapped his sister,

• Paid Members
Also going back to Show debuting under his real name its a little less gimmicky than just outright revealing his name, like when Shamrock called Undertaker Mark when he kidnapped his sister,

Or when Marc Mero outed Salvatore Sincere as really being called Tom Brandi and told the world he was a jobber. Like 80% of segments on Raw at the time, in the end, it really only served as a vehicle to show off Sable's tits.