Pacquiao V Marquez 3

fugaziuk

I had Marquez up by two rounds. He looked great in there, better then what I expected with the extra weight and he got his game plan spot on. Pacquiao really struggled and performed much better in the two previous fights, which I think says it all. Arum seemed to make it clear he wants to see Pacquiao V Marquez 4 happen for May next year. He knows Mayweather is going to fight on the 5th and he won't put Pacquiao in the ring with him on that date. He's gonna milk Pacquiao right to the end, if that means he lets him fight Mayweather in his last fight, who knows.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I wasn't much of a fan of the Primetime commentary last night. I like Kerr and Bunce in the studio but the actual commentators i thought Khan was pretty cack and him and Benny Ricardo were relentless with their 100 mile an hour talking over each other shouty voices. Bit hard on the ears at times.

Ricardo did make the comparison saying Pac/Marquez resembled Barrera/Naz in how an aging underdog legend was outboxing the younger, more explosive fighter. Good comparison i thought. Even Khan agreed which tells you how the fight was going cos he was looking for reasons to give rounds to Manny all night.

I'll be the first to say that I had Pacquiao winning it by three. Saying that, I may have been swayed by the HBO commentary, as all three of them, including Lederman and Manny Steward had Pacquiao winning it by three or four.

I can't see how Marquez won the fight. He wasn't nearly aggressive enough, and Pacquiao simply outworked him and maintained control of the ring most of the time.

• Paid Members

I've gotta disagree there David. I really can't see how Pacquiao won that fight. He was outboxed for the majority of the rounds, Marquez pretty much took away the effectiveness of Pac's left hand and landed the better punches for most of the fight.

I haven't seen the HBO version yet but I heard they were all scoring for Pac, not surprising really because they have a vested interest in the outcome. I can't believe a fight that looked so clear to me and seemingly to the majority of people watching could be seen so differently by the so called experts. It's like they had the scorecards written up the day the fight was signed or something.

I rewatched it today, even trying to look at it from a more Pacquiao biased point of view and even then I couldn't give him any more than 5 rounds. He had spells where he looked dangerous but he never even won 2 consecutive rounds imo and Marquez never really let him get going. I can see how Manny would look like he was controlling the action because Marquez was happy to back off and counter fight. Aggression would have played into Manny's hands and Marquez fought a very smart fight with the counterpunch style that it's been shown is the way to beat Pacquiao. The same reason I've always thought Mayweather would beat him.

I'd never bitch about the first 2 fights they had. Even though I had Marquez winning the 2nd fight it was so close it really could have went either way. Last night was different, Pacquiao looked as shocked as anyone that he got the decision. Even his own teammate Khan was saying he thought he lost and I'm sure I heard Roach in the corner saying to Manny 'we're losing' a few times aswell.

Marquez is 0-2-1 against Manny now. Talk about a record not telling the whole story.

I'll give it another watch with the sound turned down this week. As I said, it may have been the commentators influencing me.

Primetime was just as bad, just the other way round to HBO, both Knan and the commentator as well as Bunce had Marquez winning handily.

I am sticking with it being a even draw.

• Paid Members

I thought Khan was looking for any opportunity to score rounds for Manny myself. It got to the point where he couldn't because Marquez was clearly pulling ahead. I did think Ricardo got a bit carried away at times with the Marquez love but to me Marquez was winning and they were calling it that way. Say what you see as Roy Walker used to say :laugh:

I did make a point of turning the sound off when i rewatched it just to make sure the commentary wasn't swaying me but even then i only gave Manny 5 of the 12 rounds. Either way, despite the controversy it was a good fight. What a trilogy. I think they have to do a 4th now, Just a case of whether they go with that immediately or do a Manny/Floyd fight first. A 4th is bound to happen sooner or later.

This reminds me of Shogun/Machida 1, even right down to the biased commentary talk.

• Paid Members

Rogan can be very biased. One of the worst examples imo was Chuck Liddelll vs Vitor Belfort from a few years ago. I really started thinking he was watching something else in that one.

I had it a close fight with Chuck just about edging it with the late knockdown. Rogan had it as a complete domination.

Commentary can sway people which is why i sometimes like to rewatch a fight the next day with the sound off. In this case with Pac/JMM I had it pretty much the same as i did live.

Isn't it amazing though how differently the Primetime/HBO teams saw the same fight.

its insane how much commentary can sway a viewers opinion in a fight.

Thats a valid point Ebb. There's been times in past when i've had to torrent a fight and then watch it and nine out of ten times it'll be HBO and then watched it properly on SKY when it's rebroadcast a week later or whatever and you are spot on it can be night and day depending what slant they put on a fight.

That being said i still thought Marquez did enough, not as much of a open and shut case as everyone was making out but none the less he did enough to win.

That decision along with the Mayweather controversy and the farce of the Hopkins fight means thats the last three major fights in recent months all ended on a sour note; not brilliant for boxing on the whole.

There really should be a fourth fight, all three have been really close, and although Manny has won two of them, it could easily be 1-1-1, 2-1 to Marquez, or even 2 or 3 draws. It's been a belting trilogy and I hope they do it again.

On the commentary thing, it was the HBO feed I watched, and they were definitely pulling for Manny. Don't think it swayed my judgement, but may rewatch it with the sound off if I get time through the week and see if it changes my mind.

There really should be a fourth fight, all three have been really close, and although Manny has won two of them, it could easily be 1-1-1, 2-1 to Marquez, or even 2 or 3 draws. It's been a belting trilogy and I hope they do it again.

No chance. There'll never be a fourth fight.

Archived