UFC 138: 'Leben vs Munoz' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pretty good show overall (note: I always said the show should be fun, just that the importance of the fights were nil).

Good to see De Fries win, it wasn't the greatest performance and he looked alittle off the pace with the telegraphed take-downs in the first but it was always going to be a struggle getting someone the size of Broughton down. Nerves might have got the better of him to an extent and no doubt theres a lot of work to do (especially striking and wrestling) but I'm just pleased he got through it. Did what had to be done in a fairly non-entertaining fight and managed to get the decision.

I liked Papy Abedi, I think he'll do well against the lower names.

I met De Fries after his fight, he was a really nice lad! Took the time to pose for a photo, and when I complemented his ground game he went "Na, I was shite, should have subbed him"! Will keep an eye out for him!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, did anyone see Mark Goddard toss out that crazy fan who hopped the barricade and rushed the Octagon?

No, when did that happen?

Didn't notice that either. Any more info?

Haha yeah like jim said the lad basically just jumped the cage during Buffer's intro. He started to run up to Leben waving his arms about in support and Marc Goddard scooped him up and threw him out the cage door into the waiting arms of the security guards. I was hoping it made the air. We were pissing ourselves.

It was on air, but only if you squint!

Its when the tale of the tape is on the screen. you can see a little body pop up in the octagon. mostly covered with graphics.

Great show, I really enjoyed it! Was my first live UFC event and even the weigh ins were great fun.

Fight of the night for me was Gypsy John v Mini Couture. Was actaully sat next to John's mates from his gym, so made for a good atmosphere in his fight.

My only downside to the night was that I was sat next to the biggest bullshitter ever. He claims to have beaten Ross Pointon, and Ross Pearson and be fighting on a big show in December that seems non existant. He then spent the entire night telling everyone that his fights weren't that boring, and his best one was that he could get Munoz off and get back to his feet.

The best part of the night was after the event. Walking back to the hotel we bumped into Chris Leben getting into a car (presumably to the hospital). Anyway, fearing the worst (as he has just had his face punched in) I asked for a quick photograph. I was amazed to see that he was a super nice guy. "Yer sure man jump in, Dethrone shirt though...ugh...really?!" He then had a quick conversation with us about the fight, all with blood still running down his face. What a hero!

389541_2500002455821_1125714072_32908984_602544921_n.jpg

Great show, I really enjoyed it! Was my first live UFC event and even the weigh ins were great fun.

Fight of the night for me was Gypsy John v Mini Couture. Was actaully sat next to John's mates from his gym, so made for a good atmosphere in his fight.

My only downside to the night was that I was sat next to the biggest bullshitter ever. He claims to have beaten Ross Pointon, and Ross Pearson and be fighting on a big show in December that seems non existant. He then spent the entire night telling everyone that his fights weren't that boring, and his best one was that he could get Munoz off and get back to his feet.

The best part of the night was after the event. Walking back to the hotel we bumped into Chris Leben getting into a car (presumably to the hospital). Anyway, fearing the worst (as he has just had his face punched in) I asked for a quick photograph. I was amazed to see that he was a super nice guy. "Yer sure man jump in, Dethrone shirt though...ugh...really?!" He then had a quick conversation with us about the fight, all with blood still running down his face. What a hero!

Was it this guy?

abdul-mohamed.jpg

If so, it's Abdul Mohamed and he has actually beaten Pearson & Pointon but is well known as being a massive unlikable twat so I don't blame your judgement.

Nice pic with Leben aswell!

Chris Leben gave it his best shot when he faced Mark Munoz at UFC 138. Leben scored with some punches, came close with a few submissions and even got a pair of takedowns over the much better wrester. In the end Munoz's skills were just too much though and Leben was forced to retire from the bout when he said he couldn't see due to vision problems stemming from a cut over his eye.

Now, Fighters Only Magazine is reporting that Leben had a terrible weight cut:

Chris Leben cut nearly 21 pounds in 24 hours to make weight for his fight with Mark Munoz, Fighters Only was told ahead of last night's bout.

The 31-year old middleweight had "a terrible weight cut" and was in such bad shape before the weigh ins that medical staff were keeping a very close eye on him.

A source close to Leben told Fighters Only on Friday that Leben had been left "shattered" by the amount of weight he had to cut on weigh-in day.

• Paid Members

Was it this guy?

abdul-mohamed.jpg

If so, it's Abdul Mohamed and he has actually beaten Pearson & Pointon but is well known as being a massive unlikable twat so I don't blame your judgement.

be interested to hear if it was him?

please elaborate on the 'unlikable twat' bit though, i love hearing about shit like that.

• Paid Members
Ebb, the problem with British guys is that they can't transition from promising to actually good. I like Che Mills and have done for years but he has flaws in his game. There are probably better British fighters on BAMMA.

think you're being a bit overly harsh there Mikey. Mills has been one of the better prospects in the UK for years, but you have to take into consideration that now he's in the UFC, maybe he's training full time? maybe he's stepped it up to another level? so he has holes in his game, who doesn't? they can be worked on.

It was an outstanding debut, give the guy his due.

• Paid Members

Finally watched this last night. Thought is was a fun if unremarkable show, kudos to the crowd though as they were excellent throughout, I was worried they might be a little muted given the lack of star power or important fights. I reckon it would've been a fun night out but I couldn't justify

Was it this guy?

abdul-mohamed.jpg

be interested to hear if it was him?

please elaborate on the 'unlikable twat' bit though, i love hearing about shit like that.

Just generally known as a full of himself prick across the UK scene, he often sprouts shit - one of the more well known lies is that he was offered a UFC deal to fight Kenny Florian but turned it down to fight for Cage Rage instead.

I think it was also him who pissed off his camp (Wolfslair, iirc) the day of a fight one or two years back and ended up fighting with one guy in his corner - a random fighter who had fought earlier in the show.

Archived